PDA

View Full Version : A ferry flight from Iceland to Ethiopia,any advice !!!

siggi-Iceland
4th Jan 2001, 22:20
I am going to ferry an A/C from Reykjavik, Iceland to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. This A/C (Cessna-182) is privately owned and all permits are in order in Ethiopia, concerning the operation of the aircraft in that country. The aircraft has a TF register (Icelandic). I am a bit concerned with the African part of the Journey. I figure it be best to start the African leg from Cairo and try to spend as little time as possible around Sudan. As everyone who reads this can see, I am a virgin at flying in Africa. Anybody here willing to donate some advice concerning problems I can come across enroute, overflight permits visas, Native hostility etc. Any cocktail info at all. I would hate to lose this A/C into the hands of some authority figure because I didn’t do my homework properly. I am looking forward to hearing what you all have to say about this trip. Thanks in advance.

Siggi from Iceland.

Jockflyer
5th Jan 2001, 02:36
You're a brave man Siggy. It sounds like an excellent adventure!

When are you making the flight? Would you like to pick me up in Glasgow.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Jockflyer (edited 04 January 2001).]

Loc-out
5th Jan 2001, 15:11
When in Africa, don't fly over or near Dams. These are obviously very strategic and you will be shot at without hesitation if you happen to stray near them.

Checkout who is fighting with who. Makes sense not to transit borders of scraping nations. e.g. up until quite recently it has been quite risky to fly from Asmara (Eritrea) to Addis Ababa (Ethiopia). Cross the border over the sea in this case.

Just because your ATC flight plan has been accepted, doesn't mean you are safe.

Get as much info from pilots operating locally, as you can.

Have a good trip.

[This message has been edited by Loc-out (edited 05 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Loc-out (edited 05 January 2001).]