PDA

View Full Version : Navy to RAF. Good move or not?

FLYING MATLOT
26th Jul 2007, 20:41
I'm trying to gauge some opinion about the pro's and con's of leaving the RN Aircrewmans branch and joining the RAF as NCA aircrew.

I'm about 10 years in the mob now and think that if I am going to change over to light blue then maybe now is the time to do it.

But is it realy all that much better? I have heard of a few matelots transfering across but I haven't heard how they feel about the move and if it was actualy worth it?

For example- Would life be any better on a green Merlin than on a Grey one? or would it just be different?

I dont intend for this to start a Navy V RAF slanging match, but would like to know if any of the forum members have any advice on the subject.

Thanks in advance,

FM

Clear Right,Px Good!
26th Jul 2007, 20:44
Simple, Good move, do it !

Clear Right,Px Good!
26th Jul 2007, 20:53
FM,
Check your PM's

Tiger_mate
26th Jul 2007, 21:46
The RAF will employ you until age 55, and the helicopters within the SH fleet offer some diversity/role as well as SAR potential. The odds of cross training to the alternative NCA trades is minimal if not non-existant.

The differances in 'con' can be learned very quickly, I know, I have taught 2 naval aviators crabspeak. There is almost certainly some kudos in the phrase 'a differant shade of green this side of the fence' but from what I have seen the quality of life is (on the whole) better.

Remember that JHC is a purple (& overstretched) organisation and it is highly likely that whatever causes discontent in your present draft is almost certainly going to be present in an RAF Posting.

Salary will always influence such a decision and I have no idea as to the pros and cons of such a move, but research here may pay dividends (parden the pun)

Finally, how many RAF guys have you seen transfer the other way??

Talking Radalt
27th Jul 2007, 00:42
Do bear in mind that you could end up on a White Tristar or sort of sandy coloured Nimrod or a grey or green Hercules even, god forbid, a grey VC10
....or a nice green Chinook. :ok:

The Helpful Stacker
27th Jul 2007, 06:28
Surely the mighty Wokka is the aim of any right-minded rotary chap transferring to the RAF?

Why would anyone want to aim lower?;)

Strictly Jungly
27th Jul 2007, 10:40
I knew of an RN aircrewman who made that very move and the next time I met him he landed on our flat-top on the scrounge after making the impressive UK- Sierra Leone trip. (He left suitably loaded with victuals, you have to look after your buddies!)
A great chap who seemed to be throughly enjoying his time in the Chinook Fleet. (He was of course a Jungly Crewie after all). He may even be still in now.

Edited: I cant believe I am in agreement with the polyester decked stacker! I need to lie down!

airborne_artist
27th Jul 2007, 10:55
Do bear in mind that you could end up on a White Tristar or sort of sandy coloured Nimrod or a grey or green Hercules even, god forbid, a grey VC10 ....or a nice green Chinook. :ok:

Not forgetting another veteran of the SH fleet - the Puma.

Bannock
27th Jul 2007, 11:21
FM

Check your PMs shippers

Seldomfitforpurpose
27th Jul 2007, 12:12
Lots of good people, from both dark blue and green make the move you are contemplating every year and never look back.............but the question you should be asking yourself is how many people ever move from light blue to green/dark blue............. which should solve the quandary you find your self in :ok:

vecvechookattack
27th Jul 2007, 13:30
10% of my unit are ex Light Blue. However, I must admit that given my time again I would probably have plugged for light blue. In fact when I joined I wanted to be an FW Observer.....sadly I joined a little too late....

FLYING MATLOT
29th Jul 2007, 00:57
Clear Right,Px Good!

Bannock,

Check your PM's

PingDit
29th Jul 2007, 01:35
I've worked with dark blue for many years off and on. The WAFU's always had something to moan about. Yeah, ok we still moan a fair bit in the light blue - as you can see reading these pages, but having seen a couple change across, they seemed to like the swap. I've got to say that living conditions on base are far superior, along with the food. Across the three services I'd have to say that we enforce discipline less and are are more 'laid back' in general. Go for it. Even if you find that it's no better, it most certainly won't be worse. I would imagine that if you've got a background in wokka's, they're highly unlikely to put you onto fixed wing.

Two's in
29th Jul 2007, 11:44
Surely just having 2 vertical creases in your trousers instead of 14 horizontal ones is reason enough?

ZH875
29th Jul 2007, 11:54
Two's in, that's another keyboard and monitor meets coffee line.:)

sarmonkey
29th Jul 2007, 19:46
10% of my unit are ex Light Blue

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa.....

Of course they are.

Maple 01
29th Jul 2007, 20:47
I think he means Air cadets...........

TheWizard
29th Jul 2007, 21:17
FM,
Give the lads at 28 a ring and hear it from the horses mouth (so to speak) PM me if you want the correct contact details.
The Wiz