PDA

View Full Version : Training on the DA42

Lomcovack
26th Jul 2007, 11:09
I have been tasked with carrying out some IR currency training on a DA42 and the owner has asked if we could use IF screens rather than goggles or hoods.
Have you seen these screens fitted to the DA 42 ? How did you get on with them?
Does any body have any contacts for getting a set.:ugh:
Pics appreciated.
Regards,

jonjon
26th Jul 2007, 11:56
Hi,

Just finished my IR on DA42 and we did use screens, really simple to use and far better than the ones in a Seneca for example.
Don't have any pictures though.

You could try to contact Stapleford Flight Centre they use these planes, if they can be bothered they might help.
I see you're in France, maybe you could try to contact Cannes Aviation, I believe they use the DA42 for their IR (not sure if they use the screens).

J

Founder
26th Jul 2007, 13:28
I did my IR training on the DA42 and we didn't use any sceerns or goggles. Flew normally like we usually do with any other aircraft...

Lomcovack
26th Jul 2007, 14:38
Alot of cloud about that month then.

Ps. where was it !!

Founder
26th Jul 2007, 15:00
In Sweden, Gothenburg... We did flew 40 hours sim and then 20 h DA42...

badboy raggamuffin
26th Jul 2007, 15:46
The screens on the DA42 are crap though! Being a tall fella I could see over the top of them quite easily, good for checking where u are if ur doing an NDB approach. I did not cheat on my test though, the examiner made sure of that by making me wear the hood, not that I would have tried to cheat of course.

Founder
26th Jul 2007, 17:24
I dont really see the point in wearing hoods, goggels and having screens? When you fly IFR you fly IFR and you dont look up.

For example if you fly an ILS approach and try to do it visually the examiner will se right away that you're not following the glide because you eyes can never be as accurate as the glide-slope...

The examiner would never ever make me wear a hood, we even used autopilot for most of the flight... off course I had to prove that I could do it manually also but once he saw that I could do it we did the rest of the flight with autopilot. Manual one-engine approach, circling of course but the rest?...

BlueRobin
26th Jul 2007, 19:03
The ones I used are home made and were probably knocked up in about 20 minutes.

There are three elements to the main sight screen made out of white cardboard.

1. First one is a large section tapered and rounded one end that covers the left-hand side of the canopy. There is a hole cut to fit over the DV window toggle.
2. Second part of the screen sits between the top of the panel and the canopy. It then extends about half way along so the P2 can still see out.
3. Third part forms a diagonal between the second element and the top of the first element (it has a piece on the back to provide some solidity).

All elements bond together with sticky-back Velcro

The partial panel screen, fitted over the G1000 PFD, is more white cardboard with the bottom right- corner cut out so the timer window can be visible for timed-turns. This is again bonded with Velcro, you will need to put some small strips on the top off the G1000, but as both panel and Velcro is black, you don;t normally notice this.

I also wear a hood so any peripheral vision is minimised and getting the leans is reduced.

Lomcovack
26th Jul 2007, 20:04
Thanks Blue Robin,

Any pics out there ?

sps1013
26th Jul 2007, 20:58
Try contacting Atlantic Flight Training. They use the 42 for IR training and the screens are very good, not much chance of peeking a look but in any case if you do, who are you cheating??????

Mercenary Pilot
27th Jul 2007, 17:52
who are you cheating??????

The CAA...out of a retest fee :E

sps1013
27th Jul 2007, 21:32
So, Mercenary Pilot...

You are obviously not a Pilot or if you are, not an honest one!

If you sneek a peek it is you as the candidate who is cheating. What good is flying an IR profile if you just look out the window?
... Would you be able to do the same with a cloud base of 8/8ths at DA? Trust me I have been in those conditions and it was an MDA, so Non-precision

Mercenary Pilot
29th Jul 2007, 05:12
Get a life! If you cant take a joke then the airline industry is no place for you!

Would you be able to do the same with a cloud base of 8/8ths at DA?Errrr yes..i have to do it pretty often. :rolleyes:

B2N2
29th Jul 2007, 22:53
Errrr yes..i have to do it pretty often

LOL.......:)

http://www.fergworld.com/deervalley/dvt2.jpg

VNA Lotus
4th Aug 2007, 11:54
HELLO!

I'd like others feedback please about DA42.

Did you pass or take any company selection after done a course on DA42 ?

I wonder if there is a huge step to use a FNPTII with needles for selection.

The companies don't do assesment on the specific simulator of the DA42...

Thank you very much.

BlueRobin
10th Aug 2007, 20:04
These are Halfpenny Green Malcolm specials and as such you owe him much beer for looking. :)

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/engasser/DA42Screens

So you see with screens and a hood, it is rather hard to get any forward vision or side vision. The latter being a good thing as in my case that's how I get the leans.

Unlike some other foreign branded lagers, HGFC cut no corners here :ok:

wbryce
10th Aug 2007, 22:44
aviation cardboard? I bet that cost a fortune....

BlueRobin
10th Aug 2007, 23:20
Actually looking at it, it is card with a foam come polystyrene inlay.