PDA

View Full Version : Advice/Experience for 1st Solo

BB07
26th Jul 2007, 10:52
Please share any experience or any advice for the 1st ever solo flight!

Cheers:ok:

Cpt. Relax
26th Jul 2007, 11:44
Enjoy it :)

maxdrypower
26th Jul 2007, 11:53
seconded , most enjoyeable experience ever

captain_rossco
26th Jul 2007, 11:59
went up, came down. Alive. Result.

It's a fact that very few people actually feel totally ready. I say that in the sense that there is quite often something in the back of ones mind saying, 'what, you, fly an aeroplane, by yourself, ha, get on', fact is once you've been up once, you're good to go.

I took a few photos, not the most sensible, but I needed the moment on film (or was it SD card) for posterity.

Enjoy it, it'll give you more of a thrill than actually receiving your little brown book!

Regards

CR

NB, the views contained herein are those only of Cpt Rossco, the stupidity of which only he can be held accountable for. PPrune in now way promotes/endorses the use of photographic devices whilst embarking ones first solo. In fact we'd probably discourage it, is this guy insane? He might be, he just might be.! :ok:

alfaaloop
26th Jul 2007, 12:05
Just remember what you've been taught and you'll be fine,and as capt relax says,enjoy it-you only get one first solo and you will probably always remember it!!
For me it was one circuit and land,and it was over before I knew it,and not untill i was back on terra firma and the nerves had calmed did I fully appreciate what a great experience it was.
Good luck:ok:

iamanaussiemavrick
27th Jul 2007, 07:42
its like loosing virginity.....:E

Whirlygig
27th Jul 2007, 07:53
Two things to consider.

Firstly, you will be captain of the aircraft. If you are not happy with your approach, go around for another circuit!!!

Secondly, you won't have the weight of an instructor next to you so you'll probably shoot up like a rocket!

Cheers

Whirls

From a helicopter perspective!!!

Sagey
27th Jul 2007, 08:35
Enjoy it, you will experience excitement, nervousness, an element of I have to land this thing when in the air and it will all be fine, in fact it is highly likely to be better than fine as all the training will kick in perfectly. Just remember that you wouldn't have been sent solo if you wern't deemed safe to do it. At the end of it, you will be the one smiling like a Cheshire cat. It is always over rather quickly, so try and get a family member or friend to take a photo or video for keep sake, if you feel that it won't put you off.

S

luke10689
27th Jul 2007, 12:17
yeh i found it really scary i do not think i was ready i went round circuit 5 or 6 times with instructor then he said do a full stop so i thought oh end of lesson already? then he just got out at end of runway n said now do it by yourself.

its true what has been said earlier, you are captain, if you dont feel comfortable with it go around. I wish i had i must hav done the worst landing they hav seen was too fast n wind caught me n i nearly ended up in the field next to me.

UncleNobby
31st Jul 2007, 21:27
Wouldn't advise brining anyone along and making a big fuss out of it. You don't need any additional pressure. Instructor just hopped out and said "Ok, the dead weight is out of the AC, be back in 40 minutes"...only nerves were taxiing and holding short, checking the "lights, camera and action"...once you get rolling the training kicks in.
Enjoy it, and like a few people have said already, don't be afraid to go around or decline an ATC request if unable, after all you're in charge now!

Good luck. :ok:

kiwi chick
1st Aug 2007, 01:13
Enjoy! :ok::ok:

And yes, you will fly up like a rocket without the dead weight beside you! I also found it unnervingly quiet without the said dead weight blathering on - so i talked to myself the whole way round, lol :)

My fixed wing first solo was scary. My helo first solo was even scarier. And i wouldn't change a thing! I too remember them both like they were yesterday :)

Good luck!! :ok:

BB07
1st Aug 2007, 20:23
Thanks a lot boys and girls.. Im up for soon..
Keep posting..

Cheers;)

stevehudd
1st Aug 2007, 21:03
Sugar. Oh well at least I got my solo then :p

phillpot
2nd Aug 2007, 16:48
Order of the day,

Very nervous
More nervous
Damn this fine weather, damn the car has started,

arrived at airfield-
complete denial, decided I wasnt ready

Flying with instructor-
Tried to talk him out of sending me

Instructor out of aircraft-
Soiling of trousers an option

Lining up-
Mortal fear

Rotation-
No going back now, resignation to the impending fate

Downwind-
This is really quite cool

Base-
No this is really very f:mad: cool

Touchdown- ( I think it was 3 in total off one approach!!!!)
wanna go again now now now now can I pleeeeeease!!

The Bar-
Pissed.

Seven years on its the best feeling I have ever had, lots of flights lots of achievements but that one was still the best all 6 minutes of it.

Capt_SlackBladder
2nd Aug 2007, 17:24
Mine went well, two touch-and-goes then a full stop landing. I was relaxing in the sunshine afterwards, with a well earned coke and mars bar when my Norwegian instructor and his mate threw a bucket of water over me. They said it was tradition... I didn't see it happen to anyone else when I was there. Fortunately it was Florida and a warm day. Cheeky bar stewards!

Anyone else had a post first solo drenching in the name of 'tradition'?

bri1980
3rd Aug 2007, 11:12
I have found this thread very inspirational folks: I too have an impending date with a first solo with a week or so to think about it.

Should be an interesting experience!

Bri

alfaaloop
3rd Aug 2007, 12:30
Spot on Phillpot-great reply!!:D

kala87
3rd Aug 2007, 14:00
Relax and enjoy! The aircraft will perform much better without the instructor aboard. But be a bit careful on subsequent solo flights - it's easy to be over-confident after the euphoria of the first solo.

bri1980
12th Aug 2007, 21:19
So I was flying circuits at the weekend and the instructor says 'shall we land this time?'. So I said yes no problem, and vacated at the end of the runway. Then he says 'right, you don't need me anymore-off you go!'

At the airfield I'm at, and the runway in use, you have to backtrack almost the entire length of the runway. Turned around and stopped. Increased the power and without the instructor the performance was good.

I even remembered to do the downwind checks too. After a stable approach the landing was ok after a little float. Then, 6 minutes after it had begun it was over.

Strangely, I was more nervous after I had shut the aircraft down than before I went! Funny how these things can work!

Bri

Pilot_in_the_making
13th Aug 2007, 10:07
This would have been about a year ago now, how time does fly!!!!!

My instructor didn't even warn me that solo was immemant, we just pulled up outside the school with me thinking that the lesson was over for that day, and he said ''don't bother shutting it down'', got out and said ''right, go and do one circuit on your own''. He shut the door and walked back into the office!!!!! Best way to do it in my mind, you don't have time to worry about it.

The problem was that there was a lot of inbound traffic, so I had to wait for about 5 minutes at the end of the runway. It was torture. Here are the basic thoughts that went through my head:-

Taxy out: He he this is fun I've been waiting for this.:E

At the hold waiting to get on the runway: Is this such a good idea?:confused:

Take of roll: What in God's name am I doing? I'm not a pilot!!!!!:rolleyes:

Downwind: Still alive but my minds gone blank, what were the checks again?!?!?!:sad:

Base: Looking good so far, warm fuzzy feeling returning.:)

Final: Watch that airspeed.:eek:

Flare: Jesus that grounds coming up a bit quick. :mad: that was a hard landing!!!:\

Taxy in: What a relief!!!!!:cool:

The trouble was my instructors saw my landing, congratulated me on my first solo and told me to get a quick bite to eat and take a break, then go up again and do some more circuits until I could land properly.:=

A great experience, even if it was a little dawnting.:ok:

KandiFloss
13th Aug 2007, 10:08
I was soooo nervous just before I did my first solo. I remember my instructor getting out the aircraft and latching the door down just before my first solo, saying a few prayers and thinking 'oh no ... here I go'. I also clearly remember the fact that my legs were shaking so much that I could hardly push the rudder pedal. I lined up and was cleared for take off and I remember pushing the throttle forward and the aircraft moving and then I pulled back and the aircraft lifted off and I thought 'Well this is it'! I completed my 3 circuits and I was relieved that everything had gone well. I also laugh when I think about a message from the guys in the tower when I was coming in after my final circuit ... "N-230FT there's a man cutting the grass near to the edge of the runway" ... my reply "N-230FT watching the man by the runway" !!!

I was congratulated by having a bucket of water thrown over me, but at least I didnt get chucked in the swimming pool!

bri1980
13th Aug 2007, 11:32
It was actually my second solo that was a little more interesting. After a few circuits with the instructor on board we decided I could do a few on my own. Out he got, latched the door and I gave it a shove to make sure it was closed.

Climbing out at 300' there was a huge increase in the airflow through the cabin and as I looked out to turn crosswind I saw the top of the door flapping in the wind with about a half inch gap between it and the door frame. Thankfully the bottom latch was holding.

I decided that I had two options. Establish downwind, trim, then try to fix or land and fix on the ground. Thankfully downwind I was able to trim very quickly, made the call, and then leant over and buttoned up the hatch.

An interesting experience so early on in a solo flight to be sure!

Pilot_in_the_making
13th Aug 2007, 12:23
Bri1980,

Just as a matter of interest, was that in a PA-28? I had exactly the same thing happen to me whilst on the climb out from Southend on my solo cross country.

Fourtunatly, although my instructor actively discouraged me from using it, the aircraft was fitted with autopilot and my instructor had showed me how to use it ''should I need to fly hands off in the cruise if I had a problem''. I got to my cruise altitude and engaged the autopilot to keep the aircraft level whilst I sorted out the door. I'm still here, so must have done something right!

bri1980
13th Aug 2007, 12:37
Pilot in the making:

That was a PA-28, yes.

Unfortunately no automatics in this 1974 example, so accurate trim was all I had.

Looked back after closing to see the heading was unchanged and the height was bang on 800 feet (circuit height at home airfield); just very glad I have mastered the art of trim!

Bri :ok:

kala87
15th Aug 2007, 10:39
Yes, the double-latched door on a PA-28 is just waiting for Murphy to get you on a bad day (everyone in flying knows Murphy's law, yes??)

Hint: Before rolling for t/o, give it a final good shove just to make sure it's secured (especially the top latch).

LateFinals
15th Aug 2007, 11:22
I remember my instructor climbing out, saying the importal lines "Your first solo is like losing your virginity, although hopefully it will last a little longer !"

Never forgot it, just did one circuit and landing and then got very pi***ed !

LF

Golf Alpha Whisky
15th Aug 2007, 11:57
My first solo was a nerve wracking experience I have to say ABZ can be quite busy with airlines and I was really worried I'd get stuck in an orbit and screw up my circuit. No pressure as Heathrow Shuttle sat at the holding point all the way down finals watching my every move. Nice touch was the "congratulations" radio call from the Captain probably recalling "that was once me".

Lazy Gun
19th Aug 2007, 16:40
Climbing out at 300' there was a huge increase in the airflow through the cabin and as I looked out to turn crosswind I saw the top of the door flapping in the wind with about a half inch gap between it and the door frame. Thankfully the bottom latch was holding.
I decided recently to help one of my mates get over her fear of flying. She's usually terrified just getting close to a plane. So after much coaxing and explaining how rare engine failures are etc I get her into the aircraft. A few moments after take-off the bloody door opened on her side.
I elected to say soothing hypnotic things to my passenger until established at circuit height with the aircraft trimmed and steady- then I was able to close the door. Although in retrospect, "nice view though eh!?", was probably not one of the best lines to come out with :}
LG

bri1980
19th Aug 2007, 17:15
A few moments after take-off the bloody door opened on her side.

Was that a PA28 as well?

B

Lazy Gun
19th Aug 2007, 20:05
Hi B,

No it was a cessna 152. The door didn't open that much due to the air stream... about an inch or so I reckon.

LG

BB07
1st Sep 2007, 09:41
Instructor Got off --> Sensational
Taxy to rwy---> what am i doing here?
Take off ----> Sensational
Landing----> On top of the world:D

powdermonkey
1st Sep 2007, 10:39
Ah, my first solo. Terrified for weeks beforehand, thinking, no way matey, you cannot be allowed to fly an aircraft on your own, that's just daft!!....and bloody irrisponsible on the part of my instructor. Went up one day for my lesson, I had all of 7hrs of dual in the circuit, cold crisp morning, no wind. Instructor makes me do 6, high speed, low level, short tight circuits, asking me if I had my license with me and medical done. " Yes"I replied, blissfully unaware of my fate, but wondering what the hell was up with these weird low level circuits. Then after 20mins, he tells me to land and full stop, Damn it I thought, drove all this way for a lousy 20mins. So I taxi down the runway, about to turn off and he says......." just stop here, I'll get out, you go do two circuits and land" and with that he gets out. := I then started to think, will I , won't I, and I really surprised myself. I thought, if you chicken out now matey, the next time will be even harder, so go for it. Taxied back, lined up, applied full power, airborne in a few seconds and thought " well now you're up, just fly it and land, YOU HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE!"......best landing I have EVER done, touch and go, round for another, and landed for a full stop. Very pleased with myself. Next time I went solo was not as good, bit sloppy, did 3 go rounds as I wasn't happy with the approaches, one of them due to a bunny rabbit sitting on the numbers! Just go for it, your instructor is not stupid and knows when you are ready. Once you apply full power, just do as you were trained to do and accept that you can actually fly that plane and land it. May not be perfect but remember to do your drills and be safe, all will go well. ENJOY, and after, give yourself a big pat on the back and a well earned drink.