PDA

View Full Version : Interval-shot Jpegs to Mpeg?

IO540
25th Jul 2007, 20:29
I am thinking of a crazy project where I would fill up a 2GB SD card with Jpegs taken every 10 secs, a few thousand of them, and I want to make an mpeg movie out of them.

The jpegs would obviously all be the same size, and not very hi-res because the movie would be no more than HD i.e. 1080 lines so a 2 megapixel camera would do fine.

I wonder if anybody has done this already.

There are a lot of cheap cameras which can do interval shooting but most don't have an external power input and would thus never last the time (up to 6hrs).

There are various camcorders which can do interval shooting and this would give me exactly what I want without any work, except a) I don't have one (I have the expensive Sony HC1 which AFAIK doesn't do it) and b) most are a bit too big.

There are various unix tools for combining jpegs into an mpeg, including one amazing program with which you just do

convert *.jpg fred.mpg

and it's open source, but my unix expertise is limited to "start x" and "rm -r".

I gather Quicktime Pro (on a Mac) can do this.

bnt
25th Jul 2007, 22:41
Has it been done before... well, do you like beer (http://www.b3ta.com/links/Beer_Beer_Beer)? :ok: