PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help

Lookavi
15th Jul 2000, 14:52
Hello there. I’ve got 2500+ TT most of it in ME turboprops, but not a great deal in command, only 250, including 80 hours in PC12. Could anyone be so nice to let me know what chances of landing a job, if at all, I have got in your part of the woods. Prepared to start on piston singles. Any help is greatly appreciated.

piston broke
15th Jul 2000, 15:06
Lookavi, what kind of licence do you have, where are you based/want to be based & can/will you spend perhaps months and lots of cash/dash to get a local licence?

Then the experts can give you an idea!

Lookavi
15th Jul 2000, 16:48
I suppose, PB, I should’ve mentioned that in my original post. Anyway I reside in Australia, have CPL with ATPL subjects and current ME CIR. As for want to be based, I kind of hope for the reasonably safe environment (safe for my little family), perhaps East Africa. Would not mind spending a bit of time and money.

Rafiki
16th Jul 2000, 11:40
Lookavi - you know mate it's not easy trying to get a go in East Africa, especially with a family in tow. I guess you could go by yourself while you converted your licence or else take plenty of cash to hole-up somewhere while doing so. Nowhere in East Africa is entirely safe either and is a far cry from (relatively speaking) incredibly safe and efficient Oz. Far be it from me to dissuade anyone from going but it can be a long slog. Depends how much spare cash you have to last 3+ months converting a licence and how much you can put up with 'developing world' officialdom whilst doing so. Of course once you're through that hurdle, it can become a wonderful experience, depending on where you're based and who you fly for. Up to you, but as a family man, you'll have to be dedicated to the cause ...
Cheers
Rafiki

piston broke
16th Jul 2000, 15:29
Agree entirely with the above common sense advice.

I suppose it is worth pointing out that there are always opportunities for Christians of a particular sort at MAF, the Mission Aviation Fellowship. I believe they pay subsistence only, and you may have to obtain sponsorship for type rating, bush training etc but if youre that way inclined they do some of the most adventurous flying there is all over the needy parts of the world. I guess most such pilots would know this already, but it might be news to someone. MAF have an extensive website.

And before I get flamed for being a missionary no I am nost definately not of that persuasion, I mention it as a heads up to those who are. PC12s, Caravans...

Lookavi
16th Jul 2000, 15:45
Thank you all, gentlemen. I really appreciate your help.

an32
26th Jul 2000, 23:27
You might give Rossair a skip - story goes they have a cash flow hassle. Can't pay their people. Otherwise it's a good opportunity. Best of Luck.

Skaz
30th Jul 2000, 18:40
Dont know where you get your info on Rossair, bru, last I heard they were alright.
Actually know a few guys, from the airschool days, working for them now, and they seem quite happy working for Rossair.
But, truth is, there is not many jobs around South Africa, the States is the place to be.

an32
31st Jul 2000, 19:38
Actually Bru! My info comes from six or seven of the chaps who work there. Ever thought about why they take people like you fresh out of airschool, sit you in the right hand side and pay you jack??