PDA

View Full Version : SA's randy but sober pilots!

Springbokkie
9th Oct 2000, 17:37
Apparently SA Pilots are very well behaved... I will be watching BBC for the report on the British bad boys on Wednesday

SOUTH AFRICA: There is no drinking and flying in South Africa.

While there may be the occasional inebriated passenger making a nuisance of himself on a domestic or international flight, local pilots and other cabin crew, it seems, prefer their boozing after flights.

A senior manager for the South African Pilots' Association, Olivier Stradford, was not available for comment on Sunday, but the general manager for Durban international airport, Siva Pillay, said he had no knowledge of intoxicated pilots.

Pillay was asked to respond to a report which said that a British Airways captain drank the equivalent of 10 pints of beer before climbing into the cockpit of his aircraft.

'Randy pilots, yes, but not drunk pilots'
The pilot had reported for duty for a flight from Barcelona to London and slept throughout the journey, according to a BBC television programme, which will be broadcast this week.

British Airways said it had grounded 11 pilots and three cabin crew pending an internal investigation.

The Mercury attempted to discover information on tipsy South African pilots with a zero result.

One airport official said local pilots appeared to put their passengers' safety above all else.

"I have not come across stories of drunk pilots ... randy pilots, yes, but not drunk pilots," he said.

The Unteleported Man
9th Oct 2000, 17:44
I'll vouch for that.

Springbokkie
9th Oct 2000, 18:19
You'll vouch for the randy part or the sober part???

The Unteleported Man
9th Oct 2000, 19:43
Ummmmm. What da you think Springbokkie?

MileHi
11th Oct 2000, 09:57
Does being "randy" on the job count? Those -200 bunks beside the galley help! As for p!ssed/hungover I have never seen or heard of ANY South African pilots that drink at all ....

The Guvnor
11th Oct 2000, 11:36
I thought that this thread was going to give more juicy revelations of SAA cabin crew's alternative employment in the world's oldest profession. How many got suspended/fired? 50? :) :) :)

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

Lysander
11th Oct 2000, 23:05
I met a pilot who tried a beer once. Said it didn't taste good and so has never tried it again. Put me off for life!

Springbokkie
12th Oct 2000, 17:14
GUV not sure how many got suspended... would love to know... Anyhow, SA pilots definitely do drink ... as soon as they are off the plane!!! Did anyone watch last night on the UK pilots on BBC - I missed it!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

The Guvnor
12th Oct 2000, 21:37
Nope, but there's a programme tonight on UK C4 - plus info on R&N about how to get a copy of the tape.

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

Springbokkie
13th Oct 2000, 00:28
Damn... I missed it again!!!! Did anyone see it? What happened? etc etc etc.... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

WildFrequency
13th Oct 2000, 10:38
SAA cabin attendants in the world's oldest profession GUV? Have heard how they get rostered onto the "profitable" overseas routes.... ;) ;) Heard via the aviation grapevine that 100 or so where suspended.
So much for the motto "Fly the African Dream"

The Unteleported Man
13th Oct 2000, 18:19
Just a quick word for those of you who inhabit only African Aviation. This is a very sensitive issue in the UK and the press are waiting to have a field day on any inappropriate responses.

See The Channel 4 response thread on Rumours and News (http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum1/HTML/010450.html) and consider our UK colleages.

[This message has been edited by The Unteleported Man (edited 16 October 2000).]