PDA

View Full Version : Getting my PPL Back!

samuelwmartin
25th Jul 2007, 09:37
Hi there,

I got my PPL in America and finished it off in Britain about 5 years ago (last November).

I want to get back up again and apart from the fact I wouldn't be allowed straight back up, am not confident enough anyway.

I haven't read my manuals or anything for 5 years - would they all be out of date now?

I'm thinking about going to do the training/hour building again in the US, as I've heard it doesn't take long to get the few hours and sit a skills test again and the costs are amazingly cheap at the moment, so wanted to fly again to hour build after that.

Can anyone recommend what I should do, where I should go in America to train (other than Orlando Flight Training) and what exactly I have to undertake?

Oh and I had a plane crash as well - so need some confidence building in that respect!! It's taken me all those years to be bitten by the flying bug again! (I'm only 23 now though!).

Thanks,

Sam M

boogie-nicey
25th Jul 2007, 09:55
You should be okay as many people eveyr year 'return' to aviation after an absence for whatever reason. I think the FAA want you to conduct a Biennal or some other form of pseudo test and then the CAA will require some training too but nothing too over the top. Besides it'll be a good expereince to get some of the confidence back and find your way around.

Best of luck .... :ok:

samuelwmartin
25th Jul 2007, 14:57
Thank you!

But does anyone know:

1) How many hours I need to do roughly?
2) Which exams I'll have to re-sit - practical and written?
3) America or Britain for doing it?!
4) My books are 5 years old. What should I replace?

Thanks,

Sam

Re-Heat
25th Jul 2007, 15:00
LASORS should be your first port of call for all this info - have a search on the web through the CAA webpages, and you should find most of the definitive answers.