PDA

View Full Version : Where to put all that Money?

SIC
25th Jul 2007, 07:51
Looking for some constructive debate/advice -

Any opinions on which Fidelity funds to put the provident money in? Obviously we all have our own opinions but I am curious as to what the experts are doing ( 404! )

Mine is all in the international - and I feel many of the other funds that are doing really well - ie Iberia, China etc are very expensive now. To move the money there would be the old " buy high " sin ; no?

FlexibleResponse
26th Jul 2007, 12:24
but I am curious as to what the experts are doing

Rule One. Nobody can predict the future...NOBODY! So by definition, there is nobody who is an expert in giving advice on what to invest in for the future.

Having said that, it is possible to assign relative risk to various investments. If you can correctly assess risk and act upon your assessment, you will become a formidable investor.

With the very rapid growth of the economies of both China and India, there is a very good outlook for companies that have some "exposure" to those economies.

But, you may ask, where should one invest? Directly in China? In India? If you assess the level of risk the answer is most assuredly NO!

Yes, you might win big, but the chances are that you will more likely be fleeced! Wiped out! Not a brass razzoo left!

But if China is becoming one of the biggest exporters of manufactured goods in the world and doesn't have enough of it's own resources to support this activity...?

Perhaps an investor might be tempted to to take a stake in Western Companies that supply raw materials to China and India. The only major risk here hinges on the internal political and civil stresses that may arise over the next few years in China and India that might result in a reduction in production and hence demand for raw materials

Infidelity is not normally a good thing...Choose your investment vehicle accordingly.

SIC
26th Jul 2007, 14:01
A very flexible response - you must be management:}:ouch:

How does that translate into a Fidelity fund is what tickles me........since those are our only options with our 'retirement' money??

FlexibleResponse
27th Jul 2007, 11:39
How does that translate into a Fidelity fund is what tickles me........since those are our only options with our 'retirement' money??

...and why should that be so?

It is law in Hong Kong to invest some salary in a provident fund, but it is not Hong Kong law to invest in Fidelity funds.

FairlieFlyer
28th Jul 2007, 03:03
I went for the Emerging Markets Fund as a longer term investment - depends on how close you are to retirement

FlexibleResponse
28th Jul 2007, 11:19
I don't have easy access to the range of Fidelity investment vehicles available. But I would think that the "Emerging Markets" portfolio would be more risky than an "Established Markets" portfolio for investment purposes.

If you have a few years to invest in your superannuation, you might consider "investing" rather than "speculating". If you have at around 5-10 years years of provident fund investing, I would say that you are far better off investing in blue-chip shares and investments.

If you are trying to make a retirement portfolio in less than 5 years, well, I would invest in wine, fast cars, fast women and base jumping. At least you will enjoy your last few years on this earth and the future be dammed!

You may have noticed a "correction" in the Markets in the last couple of days. This event will become clearer over the next week. But keep your eyes open for buying opportunities as the Market comes to it's senses and recovers.

arse
28th Jul 2007, 13:34
If you are completely new to managing your PFund, try this link:

http://www.tyche.com.hk/en/fchoice.htm

Suggestions only, but a good start!