PDA

View Full Version : It's it is not a National Secret.....

Torres
25th Jul 2007, 07:22
..... can anyone tell me why Roma in central western Queensland has been the scene of considerable RAAF F-18 activity for the past two days?? :confused:

morno
25th Jul 2007, 07:47
You mean those military jets flying around Goondiwindi and that part of the world of late??

They're F-111's, and it's completely normal to hear them buzzing around doing practice flights, :).

morno

Going Nowhere
25th Jul 2007, 08:30
Tempo Danger Area (roma / Injune)
Act Wi Lateral Limits:
S24 30 E147 30, S24 30 E149 00, S27 30 E149 00, S27 30 E147 30, S24 30 E147 30
Vertical Limits: Sfc - Lower Limit Of Cta
For Random High Speed Mil Jet Tfc. Acft Will Remain Clr Of Ctafs And Cta. Chaff And Flares May Be Used Wi Danger Area. Tfc Will Not Be Passed To Or About These Military Aircraft.
Further Details On Specific Operations Can Be Obtained From
1 Sqn Operations Tel 07 54613817 And
6 Sqn Operations Tel 07 54611411.
From 07 222300 To 07 271400
Daily 2300/1400

Torres
25th Jul 2007, 11:10
OK. I'll admit it was overcast and I couldn't see the aircraft but we all heard them. It was so overcast we got about five drops of rain today. Very rare indeed!

Tfc Will Not Be Passed To Or About These Military Aircraft.

OK. I won't ask.......... :}

Muffinman
25th Jul 2007, 12:47
Don't be shy - there's a number in the notam - give'em a bell - don't think I'd like to meet up head on with one of those fockers ;)

Jamair
25th Jul 2007, 13:41
I recall bogging along one fine day in the mighty Aztruck from Roma to Dalby, just approaching a flyspot called Brigalow, whose only claim to fame was a dirty big grain silo. Had literally just finished listening to the area call from ATC re 'Mil Low flying jets will be tracking from x to y to z at heights between 400' and FL150, abrupt vertical manouvres etc', when a F111 zotted past from left to right at about 1000AGL, in a 90 degree bank and probably no more than 1 NM in front. I think he had been tracking to the silo and was turning on to his next leg. Bloody impressive to see, for the .28 nanoseconds I could see him. :eek:

Looked on some international ATSB-type web sites to see if there was a propensity for Mil Low Jets to splatter unsuspecting bugsmashers, and found a beauty of a story from the UK - a Tornado went straight through a C152 whose pilot was doing steep turns for photographic purposes - solo.:uhoh:

I can think of some good live fire targets in the Roma area for the boys to practice on.......:*

ForkTailedDrKiller
25th Jul 2007, 13:59
G'day Jamair!

Quite a few years ago I was inbound to Warwick in a bugsmasher when FS (as it was then) came on the air with the standard "be advised ...... Buckshot XXX will be ....... descending to YYY ft AGL ....... and estimating overhead Warwick aerodrome at time ZZ"

ME: Ah, BN this is @@@, are you aware that the Qld gliding championships are currently taking place at the Warwick aerodrome?

BN: @@@, this is BN. Are there gliders currently in the air over the aerodrome?

ME: BN, @@@ affirmative.

BN: @@@, BN how many gliders can you see in the air at this time?

ME: BN, @@@ - Ah, I lost count at about 50.

BN: @@@, BN - roger, thanks for that.

Buckshot XXX never appearred.

That was also in the days when the F111 was not fitted with VHF - or so we were told.

Dr :cool:

Torres
25th Jul 2007, 21:07
Jamair. Re your last comment - the targets were there yesterday! :hmm:

Ah, Brigalow, no idea why there is a speed limit through the "town"; I'm sure the last residents turned out the lights and left long ago.

Few months ago driving east on the long straights west of Dalby, mind in neutral, cruise control engaged when two Pigs crossed the road, north to south, at an estimated 100 feet around 500 meters ahead of me. Certainly got my attention!

Deaf
26th Jul 2007, 05:37
"story from the UK - a Tornado went straight through a C152"

IIRC before that was a Phantom/Pawnee effort - The Pawnee was spraying at the time.

OpsNormal
26th Jul 2007, 06:33
Torres, Jamair and <5K, you gentlemen need to check your respective email addresses. :E:E:E:oh:

Jamair
26th Jul 2007, 08:55
Faaaarck me Ops, last time I saw a RC135 that low it was crashing!!!! (BN 1997).

Doc & Torres - Can always rely on youse to give me a laugh!