PDA

View Full Version : Hepl FAA ATP please?

pyote
25th Jul 2007, 05:21
I have searched through the forums and have not found much on what I'm trying to do, so if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.
I hold a New Zealand Commercial Licence, with ATPL requirements (flying and written the subjects) although do not hold a NZ ATP as one has to do a flight test in something over 5700kg. Difficult to find one in NZ to just hire…
I have been in Africa for some time and enjoy flying in Africa and would like to do contract flying for the UN, as most of the companies that do UN flying in Africa are based in South Africa one has to have a South African Licence or a South African Validation. My problem comes due to the fact that the SA CAA does not allow you to add type ratings to a validated licence, and I do not have any of the type ratings of potential aircraft I would be flying on contract (namely 1900 or B200). Hence, it will involve me re-writing the entire com and ATPL subjects to get a Full South African licence and then adding type ratings to that.
So possibly I’m lazy or just can’t take another 4-6 months of my life studying for ATP's again. I have considered doing an FAA ATPL since I have been told by many people that is a week or less of course and one exam or something to that effect.
So if infact this is true it would like my life a whole lot easier to go to the states and get an FAA ATPL, find a place that does 1900 ratings and hey presto. Does anyone know what the law is in the states as to foreigners training, i.e. doing their ATPL ground school and flight test, how long it takes to get approved, all that sort of gen, or of anyone has any other information relation to may cause I would really appreciate it.
Pyote

MR. PROACH
25th Jul 2007, 10:38
Background check through the TSA takes approx 30 - 90 days depending on your passport etc.

ATP written will take you a full weekend of study...........

ATP flight test not too tough - and if you can locate a B1900 training center you can combine the type and the ATP!

You need the background check before undertaking a type in an aircraft 12,500 lbs or greater. TSA website gives you the details.

Good luck.

pyote
25th Jul 2007, 10:39
Thanx for the reply, looking into it now...Cheers!