PDA

View Full Version : flight sim cpu requirements

A330 Dreamer
25th Jul 2007, 04:36
Can anyone tell me if the system requirements for flight sim x are met by the specification of this laptop?

SONY VAIO AR41E C2D/ T7100-1.8G 120GB 1GB 17IN DVD±RW VHP IN

§ Intel® Centrino® Duo processor technology with Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7100 (1.80 GHz and 800 MHz FSB) and Intel® PRO/Wireless 802.11a/b/g
§ Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium (English version)
§ 120 GB Serial ATA 5400rpm hard disk drive
§ 1 GB DDR2-667 SDRAM (1 x 1024 MB), maximum 2 GB DDR2-667 SDRAM
§ 17" WXGA+ (1440 x 900) widescreen X-black LCD
§ NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GT notebook graphics processing unit with Total Available Graphics Memory of 319 MB
§ DVD±RW/±R DL/RAM drive
§ Built-in 'Motion Eye' Digital Camera (30 frames per second, 1.3 Mega Pixels) with Motion Picture Function (max. resolution (pixels) SXGA/1280*1024/raw data) and built-in microphone
Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11a/b/g

Cheers - dont have a clue about computers!

Speedpig
25th Jul 2007, 08:09
You should get a nice slide show with that rig.
I have... Pentium 4 dual core 3.4Ghz with 2Gb RAM 512Mb PCI Express graphics card (forget which) running on windows XP Pro.
It's awful. If I have all sliders set to about half, it runs well but the quality of the graphics is poor to say the least.
If you haven't bought FSX, I would stick to FS9. With addons available, FS9 far exceeds the quality and enjoyment of FSX... so far.
There are some great scenery addons starting to become available for FSX that actually increase FPS. Be patient, just as when FS9 first came out and it too was fairly poor until the ddons appeared. I'm waiting for DirectX 10 before I completely bin FSX.

A V 8
26th Jul 2007, 16:48
Hi,

The trouble with laptops is that there is always the possibility of bottlenecks that you can do nothing about - i.e, one component stopping another reaching it's full potential. A mate of mine bought a new laptop with a C2D processor, all singing all dancing machine, but it was nowhere near as good as my old single CPU P4 laptop.

I've just posted my spec on the "PC - vfm?" thread. A mate of mine with the same spec gets 30 frames per second (locked at 30) on FSX constantly. Have you already bought the laptop? If not, and mobility isn't an issue, I'd go for a desktop. If you've got the laptop already, I'd definately put an extra Gig of RAM in.

Just to throw a spanner in the works :ok:

Cheers

AV8