PDA

View Full Version : Are they going to make it easier???

ForzaLazio
25th Jul 2007, 01:59
Does anyone knows if they are going to make the process to go from FAA to JAA/JAR licenses easier? With the shortage of pilot many European airlines are facing, it looks like it could be a good way to get some people to come over there.

On a second note, how is the process to go from Canadian to European licenses? Is it easier than FAA to JAA/JAR?

Thanks a bunch to those who pitch in

Philpaz
25th Jul 2007, 06:46
There's only a shortage of experienced pilots so if there were top be a change it would probably be experience dependant. No shortage of 200 hr Wannabes, a quick look at this site tells you that.

Phil

Finals19
25th Jul 2007, 09:07
On a second note, how is the process to go from Canadian to European licenses? Is it easier than FAA to JAA/JAR?

Nope, its exactly the same. Doing it right now. Enjoy the 14 written ATPL exams...they are sooo much fun (NOT!)

If you want it bad enough, its simply a case of biting the bullet...

paco
25th Jul 2007, 10:00
There have been meetings between the UK (presumably on behalf of JAA) and the FAA, but they came to nothing and are unlikely to be revived. there are currently ongoing discussions between UK and Canada at the moment, but I have no idea of current progress.

You can currently exchange a Canadian ATP for a FAA one and vice versa, fixed wing only at the moment.

If you have the relvant experience, you do not have to take formal training, of course, though you must still do the exams.

Phil

Mercenary Pilot
25th Jul 2007, 11:55
With the amount of exam feedback now, the JAA exams are becoming just like the FAA system only FAR FAR more expensive! :\

Converting a foreign licence to JAR is still a lot cheaper than doing it all in the UK.

Besides the U.S. is also facing a shortage of experienced pilots. It's worldwide not just Europe. :ok:

RVR800
25th Jul 2007, 14:07
Yes the percentage people get in these exams continues to rise relentlesly.

The questions are in the public domain. (www has seen to that)

Contrast that with negative marking, a morse exam, 100% on some exams that we (I) had in the past.

They may as well publish the question banks like the FAA (its all out there anyway)

Canadapilot
25th Jul 2007, 20:10
I'm currently training in Canada and i believe the conversion to JAA is the same whether you've trained in Canada or the US. Still the Skills Test, IR conversion with compulsory hours, and the 14 lovely ATPL exams. About 12 grand before you've even started a MCC!! Would be interesting to know whether Canadian licenses are held in somewhat higher regard than american counterparts, it is from what i've heard.

ForzaLazio
26th Jul 2007, 01:00
thanks all for the reply. i am aware of the shortage of pilots in the US, but I am from Italy, and I am trying to go back home,or at least somewhere in Europe.

Finals19
26th Jul 2007, 11:46
Paco....

there are currently ongoing discussions between UK and Canada at the moment, but I have no idea of current progress.

I have a Canadian CPL/ME/IR and am currently converting to JAA (in ATPL theory right now) Purely based on the Canadian theory exams (CPL 100Q written and then the SAMRA/SARON ATPL exams) I think the best we could hope for was a small reduction in training/conversion requirements. The scope, depth and complexity of the JAA 14 written exams makes the Canadian ones pale into insignificance. And that's not a negative comment because I believe for one that the Canadian exams are way more practical and contain things you will actually use on a regular basis in a commercial career. As for the JAA ones, some of them are total b******ks and just a filtration process (Gen Nav is a good example - mostly outdated rubbish)

Canadapilot - yes you are right. The current process is exactly the same whether you have an FAA or a TC commercial ticket.