PDA

View Full Version : Appears Qatar upstages Emirates and Etihad for U.S. Service

Kapitanleutnant
24th Jul 2007, 23:58
Qatar Airways Celebrates Daily Washington Flights With Gala Dinner in American Capital
Tuesday July 24, 5:54 pm ET

Popular Classical Performers BOND Entertain Guests With Thrilling Show
Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker Hosts Political And Social Elite

WASHINGTON, July 24 /PRNewswire/ -- Qatar Airways celebrated the launch of its new daily Doha -- Washington DC flights with a gala dinner last night attracting the political and social elite from the US capital.

The Mandarin Oriental Washington DC was the venue for the night's entertainment featuring star billing, Bond, a quartet of young classical musicians known for their non-conformist style of performances.

Host for the evening, Qatar Airways Chief Executive Officer Akbar Al Baker welcomed guests promising they would have a night to remember -- and they were not disappointed. He thanked the US authorities for making the airline's newest route a huge success, just weeks after the carrier launched flights from Doha to New York (Newark)-- its first move into the US market.

Guests at the gala dinner included former Secretary of Defense William Cohen, former US Ambassador to the UN John Bolton and Richard L. Armitage, the former US Deputy Secretary of the State, the second-in command at the State Department.

They were kept entertained by a fantastic visual symphony presentation featuring imagery of Qatar Airways, its Five Star service and the airline's array of worldwide destinations.

Bond -- four young female musicians from Britain and Australia -- combined pop with classical music to round off the night's entertainment.

The appearance of Steve Bridges, whose uncanny impersonation of the former US president Bill Clinton made the evening a night to remember.

Master of ceremonies for the event was the Emmy-award winning reporter Meryl Comer. She introduced the stellar line-up for the evening, including CNN International TV presenter and host of "CNN Business Traveller" Richard Quest. He spoke of Qatar Airways as the rising star in the aviation industry and welcomed CEO Akbar Al Baker, who spoke of his pride in bringing Qatar Airways and its award-winning Five Star service to both Washington DC and New York.

Al Baker described the moment Qatar Airways flew into Dulles International Airport from Doha on Thursday night to be saluted by the dramatic water arch from airport fire fighters that traditionally greet inaugural arrivals.

"I am delighted that we have made our mark in the USA with two route launches within weeks of each other -- New York and now Washington DC. Our twin city launch marks the first step of the airline's expansion into the US market," he said.

"Tonight we are celebrating our inaugural services to Washington with this wonderful gala dinner which I promise will keep Washingtonians talking for a long time. Washington, thank you for welcoming us with open arms and we look forward to welcoming you on our flights and enjoy our award-winning Five Star hospitality.

"Qatar Airways plans to grow its international network further by exploring other route opportunities in the world's largest aviation market."

Qatar Airways is the only Middle East carrier flying non-stop daily to Washington Dulles International Airport, offering passengers from across the Gulf countries and feeder markets in the Indian subcontinent with excellent onward connections across the USA.

Al Baker added that Qatar Airways' proposed code share partnership with United Airlines would give the traveling public greater choice with more destinations to fly to across the United States.

The award-winning airline, currently in its 10th year of operations, now serves 78 destinations across Europe, Middle East, Africa, Indian subcontinent, Far East and America with a modern fleet of 58 all-Airbus aircraft.

H. Potter
25th Jul 2007, 02:41
Well,

I hope all these nice and shiny people did not board one of the famous five star airline's airplanes from DC to Doha...That would have caused a rather rude awakening for them I would say!

Total Mayhem in the airport.

Totally disorganised ground staff

Departures delayed for several hours

No briefing whatsoever once on board, besides some mumbling in VERY bad English/Arabic from who was supposed to be the Capt on this flight!

Cabin crew had no clue what was happening

In flight service was OK, but no way near what the commercials led us to believe.

Cabin crew is polite but in an industrial way, nothing seems to be an honest smile from the hart.

Cabin crew is very young an inexperienced.

All in all a rather disappointing experience, mainly caused by the extremely high expectations as set by the commercials and the whole show that was displayed in NY and DC.

loc22550
25th Jul 2007, 03:51
:ok:Qatar Airwyas, (like Qatar)..base everything on the show and propaganda...

southflyer
25th Jul 2007, 04:32
...amazing what crowd of clowns one can get for little money....

bring on the dancing girls....

Black Stain
25th Jul 2007, 06:52
Tried, but this thread was so funny I couldn't resist.

Dear Mr Potter,

Am very glad you took the time to write after the busy launch of your new film. Trust me, what you experienced sir was the best of the best from flight deck to rear galley. I presume, perhaps wrongly, that you had booked an Economy seat, just to remain anonymous of course. Sir, the SkyTrix Five Star rating was awarded for First Class travel only. Goat Economy is, as you experienced, quite feral. Economy is all I have ever experienced as well, but I have tasted the First Class food, excellent!! Three cheers for the First Class caterers.....

Looking for a good deal in Economy? Believe it or not Jet Airways are excellent, even on domestic sectors. Thai Airways cannot be faulted for service, Emirates entertainment is without compare. All other western flag carriers (that includes Cathay and Singapore) cannot be beaten on safety and security, and that’s most important right??

Dear Kapitanleutnant,

Excellent work mate, good job! But you need spelling remedial, try for a software package that will convert Hindi to English. And at the next office party tell em Black Stain recommends you and ask for an extra samoosa. You work in the HR right?? Pass my regards...

To Everyone Else,

Why were so many American wigs at the show? Change of government next year. Embarressing withdrawl soon. And the largest US military base outside the US does NOT exist in Qatar. Just another ass kissing parade.

H. Potter
25th Jul 2007, 07:15
Dear Mr. Black Stain,

Thank you for your kind complements. It has been rather busy lately which is why I thought I should give my self a nice relaxing/pampering flight to Doha.:\

I sat in the 5 star first class cabin. Looks nice, especially the lounge.

But when I went to sleep, no one even bothered to give me a mattress! And without that mattress, the first class seats are rather uncomfortable for their money. And the funny thing is that some passengers got that mattress and others did not!

Cabin crew was totally unaware of what was happening. Questions about wine could not be answered for example.

Regarding Jet Airways, I think they might have beaten QR even regarding the premium cabins!

As said before, a missed opportunity.

Black Stain
25th Jul 2007, 07:39
Dear Mr Potter,

My sincere appologies for assumption. Years of preparation were undertaken for your flight, your experience was the companys very best effort. Like a lighthouse, your testimony is evidence for all who follow.

Do SkyTrix read this website? Dont think so, too busy prostituting themselves with the money troll.

Do travellers read this website? Most dont I am sure. Perhaps that needs to be rectified Mr Potter?