PDA

View Full Version : Fixed wing to rotary

super ted123
24th Jul 2007, 22:32
Hi,

I am a fixed wing pilot, flying a twin turbine but I am very interested in becoming a north sea helicopter pilot. I have a few friends who do this and I have had many a jumpseat ride, so I am sure its a good move.

What I would appreciate is some help in understanding what is required for me to convert my JAR CPL/ME/IR fixed wing to one that allows me to fly a Super Puma or equivalent.

Perhaps some of you have made the move before and could give me an idea if it worked out for them.

Many thanks,

Super Ted

havick
25th Jul 2007, 05:21
Have you tried asking your friends that you have had all those jumpseat rides with, considering that's where you plan on going in the future?

Bravo73
25th Jul 2007, 09:45
'Search' and ye shall find:

Becoming a Helicopter Pilot (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253856)

With particular reference to:

Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing to Rotary) (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102183)

And, of course, the conversion details are in LASORS.

Enjoy your reading! :ok:

super ted123
25th Jul 2007, 11:32
Many thanks for those replies.

I have had a good look at those posts and must admit to having been defeated by LASORS last night, I shall tackle it again today.

My friends love the job, but they have always been rotary, a fixed to rotary perspective is just the thing.

Thanks again

332mistress
25th Jul 2007, 16:48
Walt Alert:ugh:

We are not allowed to give "jump seat" rides unless the jumpseater is a qualified TRE/IRE/CAA Ops etc or a new pilot doing his first famil route flight. Certainly no friends are allowed on oil rig flights.

332M

25th Jul 2007, 18:47
Isn't North Sea flying just like flying an airliner anyway?

Whirlygig
25th Jul 2007, 22:53
Nah, more like driving a bus! You don't get hosties and you have a luvverley rubbery uniform!

Cheers

Whirls

Impress to inflate
25th Jul 2007, 23:51
Super ted123, welcome brother !! You've seen the light. Try OAT or Cranfield, give them a call

Whirlygig
26th Jul 2007, 00:11
Oxford don't do helicopters anymore.

Cheers

Whirls

super ted123
26th Jul 2007, 02:15
Thank you once again for those who posted.

:) I have been on Ppprune in one guise or another for over six years now but it never ceases to amaze me some of the responses people recieve.

I can assure you I have had three jump seat rides in the North Sea, why on earth would I say I had if I hadnt! :hmm: its clearly about who you know and I have a very good friend who flies 'them'. Its never been a problem.

On a serious note, thanks for the replies guys, they look like great fun and I will continue to research this area and hope to get some solid pointers.

:ok:

Whirlybird
26th Jul 2007, 07:56
I had a couple of jump seat rides out to the rigs back in 2001. I suppose things may have changed since then, but even if they have, it may not be universal.