PDA

View Full Version : 747-400 Taxi Light differences

B-HKD
24th Jul 2007, 21:04
Hey i have noticed that like many other planes the 744 has its different taxi light configurations!

The most used is a 2 bulb "taxi light" over the standard square 2 bulb "Runway Turnoff Light" box, to be found on SQ, MH, CX (ex. SQ) CA, and many other

The second most used is only the square 2 bulb "Runway Turnoff Light"" box, to be found on all BA planes all QF ones except -OJS -OJT -OJU and the 6 ER's. TG, KM , and many other.

The last option on the 744 is 2 standard bulb "taxi lights" over 2 smaller "runway turnoff lights" only airlines having this on the 744 are olders 744's from PO, 5Y, CL, some SQ cargo planes and 9V-SPL being the only 744 in the SQ PAX. fleet to have this. (In fact it used to have the standard one like all other SQ pax 744's)

My question is: Why are there some many different configs and why did airlines order one type and then the other?

May have to do to their older 742's having the same but then why do airlines like QF now get the first and most used option if all other aircraft have the other and till available one? especially cause the "Taxi Lights" are never and i mean never used by QF!

Questions to 747 captains that have flown both, how do they compare and what do you find better?

Cheers Leo :)

BTW my first post on this great forum! :D

skiesfull
24th Jul 2007, 22:00
The aircraft that rolls off the production line will vary from customer to customer, depending on which of Boeing's options they wish to pay for. As for which option is better, I have flown with and without taxi lights and all I can say is, if I need to see better I will switch on the landing lights, being careful not to dazzle any opposite direction aircraft.

bermudatriangle
24th Jul 2007, 22:05
landing lights are the option at certain airfields,but not recommended as sop.

B-HKD
24th Jul 2007, 22:13
Thanks for the answers guys!!

Many 744 pilots on 744's without foward facing taxi lights use the inboard or outboard takeoff lights, you described if they want to see better in addition to the runway turnoff lights while taxiing. I have heard this often dazzles pilots in opposite aircraft while on the ground!

Regarding QF, they never use the runway turnoff light for taxiing or the landing lights either! Even at night all i have seen them do is use the wing lights which do create some good light aswell.

Do you guys think its sufficient?

and in the end it all comes down to the specific airline SOP right?

Leo

Nepotisim
25th Jul 2007, 00:41
I think the answer for the QF taxi lights lies in the Boeing customer options.

QF used to try and keep everything fairly standard, then when Boeing said that if you want to change from standard (Boeings standard) then it will cost you extra money. That was about the time QF started to get cheap.

So S, T and U and the ER's are Boeing standard because they are the latest aircraft!.

Hope that helps.

spitfires rule
25th Jul 2007, 02:46
Could some one please explain to me what runway turnoff lights are??
Thanks SR

Intruder
25th Jul 2007, 02:56
They look like taxi lights, are mounted on the nose gear, and are pointed about 45 def left and right. They aid in finding taxiway turnoffs and other stuff to the side of the airplane.
FWIW, I fly the 747 Classic that has turnoff lights but no taxi lights. I taxi with the turnoff lights on virtually all the time. In the day time they might make the difference in some guy in a truck stopping where he should, or trying to cross in front of the moving airplane. At night they give a bit of forward visibility, but not much. I often have to use landing lights to supplement them on dark taxiways.

I've flown the 744 in both configurations (turnoff lights only and turnoff+taxi lights). I can't imagine why anyone would order the airplanes without taxi lights! It's a ridiculous way to "save money"!

spitfires rule
25th Jul 2007, 03:02
Ahhh ok thanks Intruder.

GlueBall
25th Jul 2007, 09:26
Inboard and/or outboard landing lights actually are of lesser intensity [dimmed] when the airplane is in ground mode with nose oleo strut compressed.

spannersatcx
25th Jul 2007, 18:22
Inboard and/or outboard landing lights actually are of lesser intensity [dimmed] when the airplane is in ground mode with nose oleo strut compressed.

Actually they are "dimmed" when the gear lever is selected to the up position.

boofhead
28th Jul 2007, 16:07
I am not impressed by those who taxi around at night with their landing lights on, blinding and annoying anyone in the way. Turnoff lights, and wing inspection lights, also cause distractions to those on each side and do little to assist in providing light where it is needed. Taxi lights are best at night, and they provide a good view of the important areas in front of the airplane, yet many carriers specify no taxi lights. Stoopid.

TopBunk
28th Jul 2007, 17:42
At some airports, those designated as being "at risk from stowaways", it is our recommended procedure to use all external lights; not come to a halt en-route to the take off runway; not to leave the apron until final figures are available ; and occasion to have a ground vehicle follow us!

Just as well people are not trying to get away from LHR!