PDA

View Full Version : The non-flying Scotsman

The Ant
12th Jun 2000, 09:30
Themba McClain, a man who deserves a thread all of his own!!!!!!!!
Alleged ring leader in the ATP exam scam in South Africa, he was unable to pass his ATP flight test at SAA, so Anton Richman (V.P. Flight Operations) gave him R10 000,00 to do it outside the airline.
A man who has been AWOL so often that as an F/O on standby on B737s, you are almost certain to be called out if Themba is rostered to fly.
He is completely untouchable and will tell you so to your face. He believes that the ANC government owe him because he fought and 'suffered' for the struggle. Here is someone who wined and dined around the world with the rich and famous, was given everything in a silver spoon, and reckons he suffered for the struggle, I DONT THINK SO !!!!!!
He has has had umpteen disciplinary hearings, yet Anton Richman over turns every hearing's recommendation, that being his dismissal. He has an American passport which is probably unknown to home affairs, was given his Comm. in Ethiopia and has been an embarrassment to SAA ever since he was employed. Captain's now refuse to give him any legs because of his attitude and many have put in bids never to be rostered with him.
This is an individual who supposedly speaks for the ANC, the type of person Thabo Mbeki wants to build the African Renaissance upon!!!
Makes you wonder.

The Guvnor
12th Jun 2000, 12:36
And would you like to explain his close links with Anton Richman? :) :)

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

Skybiter
12th Jun 2000, 14:04
Confirm this guy still occupies a seat on a jet and a position at SAA that the rest of us poor downtrodden wannabes would crawl ten miles over broken glass for?

Ain't affirmative action great!!

V1 Rotate
15th Jun 2000, 08:31
The way our overall industry standard in South Africa is going down due to rampant affirmative action is terrible. ACSA, ATNS, SACAA all display cronic symtoms of AA.
I am sure that in SAA McClain is just the thin end of the wedge with much worse to come.

skyvan
15th Jun 2000, 09:46
Whether we like it or not, affirmative action is here to stay. Unfortunately, Themba is the classic case of being in the right place at the right time. If he was interviewed today, he wouldn't make it.
The sad thing is, he is far and away the worst pilot we have (my opinion), with a devastating combination of no ability and bad attitude.
He is no where near representative of the average SAA pilot, nor, more especially, the average non-white SAA pilot. All the other "other race" pilots that I know, perform at a level that is on average, or above average, for the SAA pilots. It is only Themba who lets the side down.
Linked to the VP who cannot make a decision, inspite of being given enough opportunities to remove this scourge from the airline, we are kind of stuck with him. Although I believe he is becoming a penguin, so the flying public do not have to experience him too often.
Sad though that there are so many capable, nice pilots waiting for the break, while this clown is being given excess leeway.

The Ant
21st Jun 2000, 22:16
Themba could hardly be considered as non-white. He came, from what was always colloquialy considered to be a mixed marriage. Hence the American passport. If you passed him in the street you would not consider him an employment equity candidate. The sad thing is he is single handedly justifying all the profit's of doom, who now all say "I told you so!" This is sad, as mentioned before, he is the one rotten apple, all the other candidates are as good if not better than the SAA average.

Skybiter
25th Jun 2000, 19:36
Source: News24
Title: Pilot refuses lie detector test
Date Published: 23-5-2000
Today`s Date: 26-5-2000
Comments:

One of the three South African Airways pilots who would have undergone a lie detector test regarding alleged exam paper fraud decided on Tuesday not to do the test anymore.
The three indicated earlier they would subject themselves to the tests voluntarily in an attempt to get clarity about allegations regarding the purchase of exam papers for the theoretical part of their pilot's licences.
SAA public relations manager Madelain Roscher said the first pilot did the test on Monday, and the second one would have done the test on Wednesday. He has, however, in the meanwhile indicated that he was not prepared to undergo the test anymore. No explanation was given for his decision.
It is expected that the third pilot will undergo the test on Wednesday.
The three pilots are part of a group of eight, whose names were mentioned in a statement as having "bought" their exam papers from Civil Aviation Authority personnel.
Last week CAA chief executive Trevor Abrahams announced that two employees of the CAA have been suspended pending the result of an investigation into allegations surrounding the "purchase" of exam papers.
The pilots - whose names are mentioned in the sworn statement of Louis Maloma, a dismissed pilot of SA Airlink - allegedly bought the exam papers for approximately R7 000.
News24

Could it be?

Goldfish Jack
27th Jun 2000, 11:14
Hey the Ant

Look on the bright side - when the VP OPs becomes a captain, at least there will be one co-pilot that will enjoy flying with him!!!!! :rolleyes:

The Ant
28th Jun 2000, 15:02
Too true goldfish, too true. The VP Flight ops has put a plan inplace for 75 new commmands at SAA. Needless to say he happens to be no. 74 on that list!
The press reported this morning that 9 warrents of arrest have been issued in connection with the ATP scam, no names were mentioned. I wonder if the Scotsman is on that list?

skyvan
28th Jun 2000, 22:36
Well, there he was, on the 8 o'clock news, walking to court, along with a few other pilots, looking not in the least concerned.
Their next court appearance is to be later in July. I am glad to see that Minister of Transport, Mr Dullah Omar, is quite concerned with the whole fracas. Since our Judiciary are quite proud of their independance, this may well be the end of the lying (sorry, that should be flying) scotsman. :)

Anon
28th Jun 2000, 23:13
Themba is now actually where he belongs -behind bars. Mark my words - he will find a way out of this one! The next court hearing apparently is on 6 July. A couple of nice days languishing inside.

He is probably compiling his appeal to the President for help - seeing as "The ANC owes HIM for his part in the Struggle and his days in the trenches" !!!!!! (Just like the "innocent" Rev. Alan Boesak).

Actually hope he is in the same cell as Eugene and his horse.

Kubota
28th Jun 2000, 23:16
I do like the last sentence. Touch of class, that one. Well said.

skyvan
28th Jun 2000, 23:51
The horse will object!!!! :)

The Ant
29th Jun 2000, 10:08
Themba was unable to pass his ATP flight test within SAA, not surprising considering the circumstances. Yet Anton Richman gave him R10 000 to get it outside the airline. This he duly did! How is it possible for him to continuously fail his ATP flight test with SAA inspectors, yet pass immediately with an outside inspector. There is an unconfirmed story that Robbie Robinson passed him with a quick 20 minute flight test. This is surely very suspect??????

Anon
30th Jun 2000, 01:24
Maybe Anton Richman also needs to be investigated! Why was he covering for Themba all the time?

Surely this man must have been fired a long time ago. Apparently Richman would'nt allow it. Makes you think?

The Ant
2nd Jul 2000, 10:46
I see that the ex-commissioner is out on bail. At least the scotsman is still behind bars.
Those who have been following the IRP investigations (they are open to the public) say that there could be at least 50 people involved. There must be some very nervous people out there at the moment!!!

The Ant
3rd Jul 2000, 13:38
The connection seems pretty close. Anton Richman's Dad was the defence lawyer during the Rivonia trial. Now defending Nelson Mandela, a good man with a noble intention, who has proven his righteousness, cannot be compared to covering up the wrong doings of a nasty piece of work like Themba McCalin. Somehow Anton seems to think not. Why Themba has such huge political clout, I have no idea. But this relationship needs to be explored by the authorities, that is for sure.

Tailspin2
3rd Jul 2000, 16:30
I wasn't suprised to hear that it was RR that passed TM on his flight test. Years ago I was told by someone that he had got ATPL papers from RR when he was in the then DCA.

Goldfish Jack
4th Jul 2000, 19:13
Hey the Ant

Just thinking about old Anton. I wonder how much he knows about the whole thing and whether or not he was involved in the scam. How can any airline in the world have a co-pilot as a VP OPS ?? He can only be right up Coleman's B*&^%$de. :) http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Maybe the Cops should investigate him as well and see what he has to say. :rolleyes:

Can't wait for the day when he and The Flying Scotsman fly together. Turn left right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

I feel sorry for the rest of you pilots who would like to go overseas, because they are really going to look carefully at your licenses in future.

I hear that there could be even more pilots wandering around SA with false licences. I suppose it is to be expected - now that we are fully part of Africa.

Did you see COleman making a complete ar&^%$ole of himself on the TV on Sun nite?

The Ant
5th Jul 2000, 14:35
Ol' "coolerbox" Andrews has continuously defendent the airlines position by stating that the accused still have valid Comm licences. Legally, is this correct? As I understand it, you either have an ATP or a Comm, not both. Your licence says Airline Transport Pilot, if this is found invalid, you have nothing. There is no such thing as a default setting on your licence!
Legally, it would be interesting to get a lawyer's point of view.
As far as Anton "Yentl" Richman is concerned, he was either bribed to protect Temba McClain, or he was forced to protect him by higher political forces, or he is simply trying to curry favour with the political regime in SA.
Whatever the case, these are all corrupt practices indicating his own agenda, and not that of the airline. He should immediately be removed as VP - Flight Ops and questioned by the police.

The Guvnor
5th Jul 2000, 21:20
Didn't ol' Yentl follow in the paths of our glorious new leaders and start off his life as an ANC attorney? Could there, perchance, be a relationship between his connections then and his job now - a job he is so obviously underqualified (even by African standards) for?

I think we should be told!!

------------------

The Ant
14th Jul 2000, 20:50
Things are very quiet. Is the scotsman out of jail at the moment?

Sir Cumference
28th Jul 2000, 17:25
I am told today that the Scotsman is Thabo Mbeki's nephew! I have once again been told that he is untouchable so the process that is currently underway is going to amount to nothing.

I hope not!!!

Skybiter
28th Jul 2000, 19:02
Why am I not surprised?

The Guvnor
28th Jul 2000, 21:39
Welkom by Afrika, mense!

------------------

The Ant
29th Jul 2000, 09:46
The Independent Review Panel has finished their work and will be publishing their findings on the 7th of August. We all wait with baited breath to see what comes out.
I have heard that Anton Richman's dad and Themba McClain's dad were both defence lawyers for the ANC and close collegues, hence Anton being loath to fire him despite overwhelming evidence that he must go.
You cant get much closer to nepotism than this!

an32
1st Aug 2000, 03:56
Hi All - this is a great bit of banter. Based on it all, roll on the new 2010 AIDS statistics!!!

Wiz
3rd Aug 2000, 17:40
Ant

Based on the SA Flyer article I wouldn't hold (or bate) my breath. It looks like the IRP have indicated what the outcome will be before they even started. Ho hum.

The Ant
9th Aug 2000, 13:51
The employment equity program agreed to by all parties at SAA required that all the candidates, (there are over 40 at SAA) submit their hours prior to 1994, when they were denied access to SAA. These hours, and qualifications, would then be used to leapfrog them up the seniority list to an equivelent level of their qualifications to those employed at a specific time, priot to 1994. A very fair system I feel. The cadets do not feature because they had zero hours before 1994!
Anyway, there was a pilot who refused to submit his hours!!!
You guessed, Themba McClain!
The fact that he is prepared to pass up the opportunity for advancement purely on his disadvantaged background, to prevent a closer scrutiny of his hours, means that their origin is highly dubious!!!

planecrazi
10th Aug 2000, 00:06
If that is true, who trusts the Kempton Park Flying Club? It surprise's me that this was once the considered, A-Team of pilots.

Wiz
10th Aug 2000, 10:57
What sort of airline would employ someone who refused to submit their hours???? This is ludicrous!!!