PDA

View Full Version : P-51D "Lou IV" and pilot lost

barit1
24th Jul 2007, 16:14
Fatal torque roll (http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20070720X00970&key=1) on first solo.

At one time I estimated that the unbalanced torque transmitted through the engine mounts of a Merlin was 5000 lb-ft. and that the available P-51 aileron control moment could be exceeded easily below 90-100 kt IAS.

Sad loss of plane & pilot.

Agaricus bisporus
24th Jul 2007, 19:56
Tragic loss of an irreplaceable airframe.
Think of the scores, maybe hundreds of rookies who handled their first trips in this piece of history without wrecking it. Many only had a handful of flying hours before successfully coping, and then going right into combat...Over the last 55 years! How many must there have been?

But losing control due to well known torque effect on a go-around? Well, maybe, maybe not, but if so what instructional technique allowed that? Cos no way is that the aeroplane's fault. If so shame the instructor wasn't aboard too... Still, if you have to that, do it in Cessnas, not Mustangs! Please!

barit1
24th Jul 2007, 20:48
If the student had 100 hrs of T-6/Texan/Harvard time, as was the case with most P-51 transition pilots, I doubt that this would have happened. Most pilots of that era recall the T-6 (AT-6) taught them the most about flying, and was the best possible transition into higher performance ships.

proplover
25th Jul 2007, 15:26
Agaricus bisporus - shame on your comments. Yes many did cope with the additional torque of the Merlin however many didnt even back in the 40's and 50's. Your comment that the instructor should of been in the aircraft as well brings you no credit at all.

barit1 - you apparently are aware of the unfortunete pilots history with regard to his previous experiance - if not dont speculate. The T6 route whilst expected is not the only way into the cockpit of a P51.

As far as I can recollect with books to hand is the LouIV was not a TF51 ie two lots of controls therefore Im presuming the 'student' must of carried out the initial landing, quite satisfactorily. The instructor could have only been advising as he would have had no input on the controls. This would not of been his first landing so again I presume the 'student' must of demonstrated some ability before being sent 'solo'.

The Stalion51 company is a good example of a controlled training enviroment and I know of several pilots who have taken advantage of it, one of which has less than 5 hrs T6 but is still an extreamly competent P51 pilot.

Remember someone died here, in horrible circumstances in a very public way.

barit1
25th Jul 2007, 20:18
I did not invent the T-6 connection, nor do I claim any great experience in the type, nor do I suggest it's the only way to prepare oneself for the Mustang.

I'm only pointing out the historical fact that a great majority of military pilots came to fly the P-51 via the T-6 (AT-6) route, and the ones I've talked to had high regard for the preparation it gave them. Therefore - based on this proven sequence of instruction - I conclude that this pilot probably would have benefitted from a similar syllabus.

tinpis
26th Jul 2007, 01:17
He was the owner of a T-6

Blacksheep
30th Jul 2007, 05:14
Yes many did cope with the additional torque of the Merlin however many didn't even back in the 40's and 50's. A big difference between now and then is that military pilots didn't buy their own way onto high performance single seaters.

RAF military pilots of the 1940s were streamed into single seaters or multi-engine during basic flight training on Tiger Moths or Magisters, with single seat pilots going on to Harvards and multi-engines going on to Ansons. The fact that high performance single seat fighters could be a handful was well recognized and those who it was thought wouldn't hack it, were weeded out very early in the proceedings. Of those who made it all the way through flight training, only those with the best responses and finest control touch went onto single engine fighters. Even then many were 'chopped' from the course and never reached a squadron.

This policy remains in place to this day. Fast jet jockeys and 'pie eaters' are sorted out very early in the training process. In today's civil environment, if you can afford a part share in on old 'warbird' you can buy into the training to fly it and there's no 'chop' in these circumstances. Its a fact that not everyone has what it takes to fly a single seat fighter aircraft - vintage or new.

Brian Abraham
6th Aug 2007, 09:52
One persons view
http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/pelicans_perch_87_killer_go-arounds_195755-1.html

barit1
6th Aug 2007, 14:58
Couldn't agree more with the article. Some airplanes can be flown "by the book" with relatively little technique required, and can be taken off, flown, landed and waved off by procedure only. But WWII (& earlier) vintage aircraft demanded a degree of "feel" or technique that is apparently often overlooked in flight instruction today.

My father instructed in all the SE trainers of WWII, and go-arounds were always practiced at a safe altitude to drill home the pecularities of the type. A T-6 or even a BT-13 would quickly roll inverted if full power were applied over the numbers.

I could make an analogy to playing a musical instrument; you can't write a procedure for playing a trumpet or violin. It's a matter of practicing the technique. Some people will "get it" and some won't. :uhoh:

ShyTorque
6th Aug 2007, 20:30
Twenty years ago I flew with a very clever RAF navigator - I found out he had in fact written much of the information contained in the Navigation part of the RAF's Air Publications.
One day, he mentioned that he had once been a trainee RAF pilot but had withdrawn from training. Another time, after a few beers, he told me why.
He was night flying the Balliol T2 trainer (Merlin engined) when, during a low and slow go-around, it did a 720 degree torque roll for him and scared him half to death, although he escaped without crashing. He decided that someone was telling him something..

Dick Whittingham
7th Aug 2007, 12:59
Ref Brian Abraham's link, my first thougt would be that at low rpm and full boost you would get more torque than at higher RPM.

As to the T6, I trained on them and instructed on the less powerful (400hp?) Piston Provost. Over one year I do not recall any accidents at our T6 school caused by torque roll, nor do I recall any problems personally. The one time I had to slam to full power was in a PP at very low IAS and I got much more yaw than roll.

Mind you, our Canadian instructors, with time on Mustangs, did consider torque roll to be a killer, but there you are talking 2000hp.

Dick Whittingham

NutherA2
7th Aug 2007, 15:20
the less powerful (400hp?) Piston ProvostFrom my Provost T.!. Pilot's Notes, Dick:

INTRODUCTION
The Provost T.I is an all-metal, low-wing monoplane