PDA

View Full Version : WILSON

MISSED SLOT
23rd Dec 2000, 23:26
I've been offered a position instructing at Wilson near Niarobi. Anyone have any info on the field or prospects for a (F)ATPL.

Skybiter
24th Dec 2000, 09:36
Wilson fairly activewith cross runways usually in use. 07/25 in use for arriving and circuit traffic and 14 used for departing commercial traffic. All this has to be slotted in to what goes on at HKJK just down the road. ATC seems to cope well and the Aero Club festive on occasion. Good curry served for lunch on Wednesdays.

Nairobbery a rathole and also referred to as the world's biggest parking lot. Power available for 6 hours a day, water available for about the same time and the phone system about as reliable as two tin cans connected by a piece of spaghetti. Crime is rampant and the whole city is deteriorating at an alarming rate.

A good place for hour building but i hope you're prepared to rough it a little.

Good luck and fly safe...

wizzflight
27th Dec 2000, 12:13
Nairobi is not what it used to be, but if you are a bit carefull you can still have a great life there. Depends very much on your mindset if you are going to like it.

Flyingwise it may be a good opportunity to get into the scene in Nairobi. There a quite a few jobs on twin turbine aircraft, once you get to know a few people and are able to sort out the workpermit hassle. So, instructing for a year or 2 would not be a bad idea.

Komba
30th Dec 2000, 16:01
Missed Slot,

Come on over. Nairobi is great. Hardly anyone manages to get offered a job before they come to Kenya. You will have a blast -and build hours.
There are some fantastic party places and a wide variety of pilots. Welcome.

Skybiter,

Some of us love Kenya and are trying to clear up Nairobi. Don't knock it.

Skybiter
30th Dec 2000, 16:24
Komba

Good luck to you mate. Hope you manage to achieve your objective. I'm just getting a bit tired of the BS necessary to get anything done over there. Only thing I can say is thank goodness for the Aero Club, a shining light in the darkness...

B Sousa
30th Dec 2000, 17:32
Skybiter
How are things at the Aero Club? I spent a few days there a couple years ago and cant even forget the great times. "Tuskers Bariddi"
Chap named Allistair was managing the place. I sent him a picture of the U.S. OH-58 for hanging in the bar, dont know if its up or not. I was sort of helping out with one of Simons Everetts Helicopter fantasies while I was there...
Cant remember the old guy who tended bar. Think it was Stephen?? A Col Chigee?? was the boss at the Police Air wing, seemed like an Ok guy.
Anyway, I rang the bell at the bar and would gladly do it again on a crowded night. Fill us in on the latest....

Komba
2nd Jan 2001, 10:04
Skybiter,

I'll buy you a beer next time you're over...

Skybiter
2nd Jan 2001, 17:50
Komba

You're on mate. Please fill me in on how we can make Nairobi more livable too. Not a bad place but the shortages are getting a bit much, specially when you're surrounded by a bunch of folks who haven't had water to wash with for a day or two.....pheeewwww!!

B Sousa

Stephen still behind bar. Manager now a really good looking young blonde.....mmmmmmmmm!!

Komba
2nd Jan 2001, 17:57
Blonde's name is Christine...

siggi-Iceland
3rd Jan 2001, 04:34
Since the topic is Wilson A/P I would like to use this opertunity to wish everyone a happy new year, especially those who have been at the Aeroclub (that means you B Sousa). Christine, Harro (The chairman) and the Kiwi on the Caravan who said it was impossible to pass the CPL convertion exam(I passed after studying night and day for 2 months with a lotīs of help from Kenya School of Flying). So many good people there, including my very good friend Tusker. I was in Kenya for 2 1/2 months and I am due back there in January. My stay there was fantastic and I am looking forward to going back. So before I kill you all with boredom I just want to say "happy new year and long live the Aeroclub Of East Africa"