PDA

View Full Version : Living Expenses whilst working abroad...

bohpilot
24th Jul 2007, 09:57
My employer has asked me to consider being based in Amsterdam instead of positioning to and from the UK. However I would still be employed by a UK company and pay UK TAX. I would have to find my own accommodation and food instead of staying in a hotel provided by the company.

Does anyone know if it is possible to claim expenses such as accommodation/food while I am working in AMS, against UK tax.

Buffet Boundary
24th Jul 2007, 12:34
I think you can claim so long as the basing is deemed to be 'Temporary' and you maintain a domicile in The UK.
You are entitled to claim accommodation expenses including rent, gas, electric etc...travel to and from temporary accommodation and the airport....
parking expenses...commuting back to The UK and a sensible daily subsistence allowance of say £15.
My accountant had the usual fight with The Tax Office over this but they eventually relented and agreed to the claim. Hope this helps.

cavortingcheetah
24th Jul 2007, 13:34
:hmm:

What is in a word? Be careful of the word 'base'; it bites a lot of pilots.

If your base is in Amsterdam, it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to claim any deductions for expenses against your UK tax liability.
If however, while being based at, say LGW, your company sends you to Amsterdam on a temporary basis (typically no longer than two years) you will probably be able to claim your travelling and living expenses in connection with your enforced place of work, although you might have to live in a hotel rather than in your own residence? That will be deemed as the cost of a job rather than the cost of the choice of where you live.
Obviously the best bet would be to take a little professional advice on this.:suspect:

bohpilot
24th Jul 2007, 21:31
Thanks for the replies, as I thought.

I would be in a Hotel to start with so that would make the claim easier, I presume a good Tax accountant would be essential for this....