PDA

View Full Version : If you only had 10 Channels which ones would you choose.

Matt-YSBK
24th Jul 2007, 08:08
Hi,
I have an East Coast Based aircraft at BK but do a fair bit of flying up north planing some trips to Lord Howe and also perhaps into the center. My Poor old HF only has 10 channels at at the moment none of them are of any use. Does anyone have any suggestions of which frequencies i should choose when i get a whole set of new Cristal's. As most stations have 3 frequencies each it seems like i can only fit in 3 stations tops. Others have suggested that I only really need 2 frequencies per station but as there are 3 for each which ones.
If anyone is in a similar situation and has a good workable list of frequencies would be a great help to have a look at them.
Thanks All
Matt.

Chadzat
24th Jul 2007, 08:40
take a look at a PCA. They have the HF frequencies in your area. H

Here in the centre the most reliable ones are 3461 6565 and 8843

In your neck of the woods - 3452 6610 8831

morno
24th Jul 2007, 08:42
If you've got a spare channel available, maybe put in one RFDS HF frequency as well. Never know when you're gonna need it!

morno

Aerodynamisist
24th Jul 2007, 08:43
Can't help you with a list of frequency's Matt - the airline fellas may have a better idea of which ones are the best or you could try the air services Australia frequency management fellows Can't recall the exact name of the department but one contact there is Bruce Bilton [email protected]

Also have you considered hiring a sat phone in Lu of hf, could be a more reliable option but not sure if the regs allow them as a replacement for hf. Some one in the prune brains trust may be able to help us there.

compressor stall
24th Jul 2007, 10:55
Will you be flying at night....if not, that might knock a few freq's off.

ForkTailedDrKiller
24th Jul 2007, 11:25
Don't know about the Lord Howe bit, but I operate a non-HF equipped IFR aircraft on private operations out of north Qld. Have been as far afield as Horn Is and Essendon and west to the Rock - soon to be extended to Broome, Perth and Adelaide.

While it might have been a little more convenient at times to have HF, I have not found it to be too difficult to get around without it.

ATC are generally very helpful once informed that I don't have HF. Mostly I can nominate a sartime for my next position report. Occassionally I down-grade to VFR before I lose them then upgrade again when I have VHF comms, and the odd occassion I have had to get a helping hand from one of the big fellas up high.

If I can't cancel SAR in the circuit I can generally ring on the CDMA.

I carry a Sat Phone just in case I really do need to talk to someone.

Dr :cool:

Kelly Slater
24th Jul 2007, 12:36
There aren't that many HF frequencies left, the six mentioned by Chadzat will cover you. I have always found that the 6 meg frequencys work best during the day, even when they are not nominated as the primary. HF frequencies were supposed to be reduced to only three for the whole of Australia many years ago but it is still to happen.