PDA

View Full Version : Keen Aussie pilots in Africa?

Golf Captain
19th Dec 2000, 17:32
I recently became engaged to a Zimbabwean girl and am very interested in pursuing a flying career in the African skies. I have recently attained my Australian CPL and IFR with just over 200 hours. Does anyone have any idea where I could start to research for a position anywhere in Africa or somebody I could talk to about applying for African flying jobs. Thank you in advance for your sincere and helpful replies!!!!

Cardinal Puff
19th Dec 2000, 21:00
GC:

Try Balmoral and Fedair in Durban, Rossair and King Air Services at Lanseria near Johannesburg and Fleetline at Johannesburg International. With a few more hours and residence in Zim you might even make it into MK Airlines. Good luck mate and watch out for those Zimbo girls. They have a mean left hook they learn from their grannies.......

Shaker One
20th Dec 2000, 05:15
You could always try Zim first. They're not too keen on those with no right of abode but you may do fine following the 'tieing of the knot' ceremony. Failing that, take a ride up to Dar-es-salaam and Zanzibar then up to Wilson Airport Nairobi - time and finances permitting. Lots of hanging around required when job hunting away from home however. I'd strongly recommend you stake out the home base first (Zim that is) - must be something there to get you started and it sure as hell beats Arnhem Land in a sweaty 206.
Best of luck
----
Shaker One

Golf Captain
20th Dec 2000, 12:21
Cardinal Puff,

Thank you for your suggestions I will now search the internet for these companies, their aircraft and contact details and take my chances in applying. I appreciate your assistance and I think you are sincere considering you have summed up Zimbo women very accurately. Unfortunately I learnt this left hook rule first hand, hahahaha. Thanks again and take care, with any luck I might bump into in the skies of Africa.

Guybrush Threepwood
27th Dec 2000, 21:48
Can try Okavango Delta, not much pay, good 700 hrs year, know of about 8 guys leaving this season. Pays not great but the scenery is superb, and your pretty close to Zims.

Good luck mate and happy New YR.

Golf Captain
28th Dec 2000, 05:48
GT,

Do you have the contact details of Otavanga Delta you could pass on? I am living in Perth at the moment but can live in Zim when I want but find it difficult to get African companies details! Thanks for passing on the info, and good to see you are helping a fellow Victorian.

GC

LetsFetz
30th Dec 2000, 17:32
Can't believe my ears ...
I'm in Africa since '95 ... flying for the last 4 years ...

Now, as I eventually got the desired Permanent Residence Permit, there is only one thought for me: " get the hell out of here"

Affirmative action does not treat us very well here and Mr. Mugabe just recently made it clear again how fond he is of us 'whities'

I am currently busy converting to Oz ATPL and on the 21st of Jan my flight leaves to Perth ... hopefully I'll never have to come back ...
"They" broke into my house (more than once), into my car, ripped me of and lied to me and apart from all the incompetency one has to deal with on a daily basis the managed to advance from 'going nowhere' to 'moving backwards'

I'll trade my job (which is the only nice thing about Africa) and connections for whatever you got there in Perth ... anytime

Stay where you are and take your girl out of there ... show her how nice live can be ...

Think about it ...

Cheer and Beers
LetsFetz

------------------
Let there be cold beers on a hot day !!!

Golf Captain
31st Dec 2000, 06:22
LetzFetz,

I have the information on all of the North Western Australian and Darwin charter/tourist companies if that is what you are interested in doing. If so feel free to contact me on my email and I will happily forward this info to you.

When you return to Perth, if you need some decent flying school contacts for conversions, etc in Perth I have those also.

If I can be of any help just email.

GC