PDA

View Full Version : Words. Is it in there or not?

catswhisker
23rd Jul 2007, 10:11
Dear All,
Nothing high tech here, but I'm tearing my hair out.
Recently had to get new laptop. Transferred all my Word files over from the old one. Loaded Word 2000 into the new one from a disc, no apparent problems. Word now appears in the list of Programmes.
BUT, when I try to open any of my old documents, Word isn't one of the options offered. It's like the computer doesn't know it's in there. So I can't get into the docs.
I can create a new document, but when I close it, sure it pops up nicely in Documents... But when I try to open it, yet again, no trace of Word and I just get a load of gobbledegook in Wordpad. I'm like "But you just created the *****ing thing .. in Word!"
Please, one of you clever people tell me there's a simple explanation and a simple cure.. :sad::sad:

CW

BOAC
23rd Jul 2007, 10:14
My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/File Types - '.doc' - what do you see and by the way - which OS?

catswhisker
23rd Jul 2007, 10:37
Thanks BOAC.
The system's Windows Vista. It doesn't have anything as user-friendly as My Computer or Tools, but I managed to find Folder Options with a search. Got a little window with "General, View and Search". Can't see anything in there that might be relevant, but then I probably wouldn't. (Searching for "File Types" drew a blank.)

catswhisker
23rd Jul 2007, 10:46
Whooooah!
In the Folder Options, checked the "include system directories when searching" box, and it worked!
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction while I still have some hair left, BOAC!