PDA

View Full Version : Compassionate Leave in Airlines?

AllInGoodTime
23rd Jul 2007, 09:15
This is not a wind up, but legimate question. Please no silly answers.
Can people tell me what the airline policies are for compassionate leave. (Please no, "They have no comapassion" jokes).
Examples being: You are away from base and there is a death in the family or say wife pregnant and delivers baby prematurely, will they let you come back asap, and try and crew with someone else.
Greatly appreciate some information. PM if you prefer.
Cheers in Advanced.

Harbour Dweller
23rd Jul 2007, 11:07
CX are excellent when it comes to matters like this & will give you the same help that DirectAnywhere described.

Ultralights
23rd Jul 2007, 11:08
its a shame they dont treat their engineers the same way, father passed away, 3 days is all you get.

KRUSTY 34
23rd Jul 2007, 12:14
Rex only pays 3 days berievement leave as well.

Heard recently that DJ pays unlimited sick-leave to people who are genually sick or injured outside of work!

If true, then thats one example of how to treat people.

Anyone care to comment?

404 Titan
23rd Jul 2007, 13:49
Harbour Dweller

You forgot to mention though that CX take this off your annual leave. There are ways around this if you see or speak to the right people first. Apart from that though yes they do look after you.

Harbour Dweller
23rd Jul 2007, 15:11
404 Titan,

Quite correct.

*Lancer*
24th Jul 2007, 00:43
Actual "bereavement leave" in Qantas is pretty light on, but if you're too 'down' to operate you're not fit for duty, so sick leave prevails (21 days pa cumulative to 365 days total). They're very good about it when it happens.

152passenger
24th Jul 2007, 00:57
Hi Just required 2 days off for son to have a minor operation. I simply faxed in letter from doctor and recieved a call later that day to tell me fax recieved and leave was on my line all very easy and company was only too happy to look after me.
Cheers

Yusef Danet
24th Jul 2007, 05:20
In VB it comes out of a pool of 'personal leave' which is your sick leave/carers leave/bereavement leave. 20 days per year, accumulates over service.

Several pilots have exhausted theirs and continued off work on full salary as result of broken legs/thumbs/dirt bike crashes and as long as no one abuses the system it will probably remain that way.

I suspect that, unlike in Qantas, if you heard the bad news in Perth/Darwin they would try and get you to operate to the next port a replacement can get on.

ozangel
24th Jul 2007, 06:43
From a cc perspective, i've only had to do it once - my cousin who was more like a brother jumped off a bridge. Alliance (although short of crew for some new charter flights as it was) insisted that I take the time I needed, and offered counselling and anything I wanted. I only needed two days in the end one to identify him and one to say goodbye, but when I came back, they adapted my roster to suit any personal needs for the rest of the roster period. It was probably helped by the fact everyone knew everyone, and given the circumstances, friends were more than happy to come off days off to cover my shifts etc.
Can honestly say that it made life so much easier! They didnt have to be so kind in their actions, but they were.

*Lancer*
24th Jul 2007, 06:48
Everyone will experience grief at some point in their life, and it can be a volatile and unpredictable emotion.

At the end of the day if you're unfit for duty, you're unfit for duty.