PDA

View Full Version : Best Air Traffic controller is......

heat
22nd Jul 2007, 21:20
Sydney Approach Mr "Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeex". Makes me laugh everytime!

Muffinman
22nd Jul 2007, 23:40
The canadian at Adelaide - not sure if he is still there - it's been a while since I've been that far south.

Can I vote for my wife - I'm always needing a clearance to go somewhere :{ and regularly puts me on hold until she is ready:E - although she did stop a bankrunner from wiping me out when he busted a clearance whilst I was flying down the RI ILS many many moons ago.

boofta
23rd Jul 2007, 00:35
The atc controller who tried to put an aircraft thru me by directing
the other aircraft to go against his TCAS. Thankfully it was all in VMC.
The controller actually apologised " so sorry for that "
He was removed from the console, another voice appeared.
This guy gets the best controller award from me.
A contoller who took immediately responsibility for a mistake- a rare bird.
I checked later with atc mates, he was off work retraining for a month.
Hear him on air regularly.

Dubya
23rd Jul 2007, 01:01
Nah, it's "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRexx..............."

And Chuck in Adelaide takes the cake for the ONLY controller in Oz to know that turbo props perform differently than jets on descent....

Sydney controllers..... second best in the WORLD.........

who are the BEST..........EVERYONE ELSE..........:mad:

Really, the BEST controllers in the world, are those of Alice Tower in the late 90's..

Where else could you call at 90dme, and get recleared direct to right base.. best speed...

SkyScanner
23rd Jul 2007, 01:11
Bloke in singapore who changed his mind during the STAR and cut 55 track miles off!!

UnderneathTheRadar
23rd Jul 2007, 01:27
The gal on 120.0 and other Area 30 frequencies - always friendly, helpful and sitting at her desk in scanty lingerie (at least in my mind....)

UTR.

PEETEESIX
23rd Jul 2007, 01:40
Chucky in Adelaide for sure. He's a champion!!!:ok:

Atlas Shrugged
23rd Jul 2007, 02:24
There is, or used to be a Scottish chap on 125.7, 120.5 or 126.6 (I think???), who gets my vote :D as do all of them on BN CEN....even Plazbot!!

Also the guys at Willy are great. :ok: I've NEVER been knocked back for a clearance over the top, even when its been active, although once I remember being sent out over Glouster or somewhere at A10...no probs, twas a nice day anyway and I enjoyed the scenery!

boree3
23rd Jul 2007, 03:31
Who is the best Air Traffic Controller? Ask any controller and they`ll say ABC is pretty good, almost as good as me on one of my bad days! ;)

kiwi chick
23rd Jul 2007, 03:42
You certainly can here, can't speak for other parts of the world? I've never had any problem, just call them on their wee phone and they let you up. Mind you that's when I've arrived from the airfield side, ie in an aircraft.

Maybe it's been a case of "****! we've got to see who made THAT landing and survived - let her up here!!!"

;)

kiwi chick
23rd Jul 2007, 04:04
Hey - give it a crack anyway!! ;)

FJF
23rd Jul 2007, 04:26
Years ago in YBRK - clear for take-off 15L.

Howard Hughes
23rd Jul 2007, 06:32
Also the guys at Willy are great. Surely you jest! Oh I see it's cause you only ever 'fly over the top', try landing there sometime...;)

A further vote for 'Chucky' in Adelaide, as if there could be any other!:ok:

The Strez
23rd Jul 2007, 06:54
Marcus, in Cairns Tower, was always great when I used to be there. (keep the emails coming :ok:)
All the guys and gals on Melb centre who handle WA, 'specially those that cover the Pilbara / Gascoyne are fantastic! Very helpful and friendly when we're out and about at 3am.
Guys on this morning gave great support when Hedland was fogged in! Thanks guys keep up the great work. Those of us that are called out at all hours really appreciate the assistance you give us! :D:D:D

Canary51
23rd Jul 2007, 10:15
While I know Chuckie's pretty forgiving, don't call him a kanack! := Close, but I belive his roots are somewhere in the state of Minnesota. ;)

questil
23rd Jul 2007, 10:56
chuck for me

romeocharlie
23rd Jul 2007, 11:15
Marcus in Cairns is a champion! Quickest wit in the north.

Jet_A_Knight
23rd Jul 2007, 11:19
Where's Rodney Rude outta Tamworth Tower these days??

Stubby
23rd Jul 2007, 11:27
Mr Reeeeeeeeeeexxx drives me nuts it was funny once, amusing the second time but now its annoying:rolleyes:

Pretzal
23rd Jul 2007, 12:47
Another vote for Chucky in Adelaide. That man needs to teach all the other guys how its done. Just sensational. I always get relieved every time I contact approach inbound - I know we can expect the most direct tracking and minimum slow downs possible. Some one get that man a beer! In fact make it a case! You're a legend.

emergencybus
23rd Jul 2007, 23:32
Airlines and ATC should invest to clone this Gem!

captwawa
23rd Jul 2007, 23:36
what about perth,, they r very good

TineeTim
24th Jul 2007, 00:24
Perth. Good? Bwahahahaha

Cancel STAR, track direct to Modbury, twr at 5 miles, so long...

Cancel SID, from Sully direct TBD, MEL on 1285, so long.....

No contest.

blueloo
24th Jul 2007, 00:48
Perth - Ha - What about that lady with an accent, who practically makes you do step descents - self controlling yourself, because she is to lazy to monitor the cta Steps@!!!!

TineeTim
24th Jul 2007, 02:18
Coral,

Is Chuck not working under the same rules as you? I suspect he is and he does it better than anyone else in the country, IMHO. The airlines are spending heaps changing procedures, washing planes, etc. all to save drops (literally) of fuel. Anyone who tells you they don't want direct tracking, saving fuel and time, is out of step with current thought.

kiwi chick
24th Jul 2007, 02:37
There is actually nothing funnier than reading a bunch of pilots explaining what makes good ATC.

I might be missing something here, being only a mere GA pilot and all... but is that not EXACTLY the point?!

The pilots are the ones in the aircraft that are gonna hit other aircraft if ATC get it wrong, surely they'd have some idea...?

And would ATC not be out of a job if it were not for the said pilots...?!

(Oh, i can feel I'm going to get some backlash from this one, stick up for me boys ;) )

strim
24th Jul 2007, 02:40
It's a pleasure to fly in Chuck's airspace

blueloo
24th Jul 2007, 02:41
There is actually nothing funnier than reading a bunch of pilots explaining what makes good ATC

Certainly we would never know :ugh: - after all we are on the recieving end of it every day.

The difference is, many of us get to experience the receiving end of ATC from not only all over Australia, but many other contries, and whilst we generally can't comment from your end, we can comment from ours.

Additionally, whilst you make throw away remarks like that, bear in mind that some of Capts/ F/os are ex ATC, and shock horror, they even make remarks about how bad the ATC is (I am sure there are pilots in similar role reversals too). Now, who would have thought that was possible!

Peter Fanelli
24th Jul 2007, 03:00
And another vote for Chuck :ok:

Scurvy.D.Dog
24th Jul 2007, 05:45
Jet_A_KnightWhere's Rodney Rude outta Tamworth Tower these days??I is in the northern part of the Apple Isle cobba :E
I am still trying to have phraseologies amended to include the circuit joining instruction:- "Whatever floats yer boat captain" :} ... folks in Canberra have no sense of humour though :p

kiwi chick
24th Jul 2007, 05:49
LOL! A controller in Napier got told off once for saying to arriving Saab:

"there's, like, MAJOR downdraughts on finals..."

Another one (in NR also!) had a 152 call up downwind to say he had an engine failure, could he land.. to which the controller responded:

"negative ***, go round..., Air NZ traffic on approach..." :sad:

He had to open his wallet in the bar that night ;)

man on the ground
24th Jul 2007, 11:38
Vote 1 for Marcus of Cairns Tower! :D

best damn warbird controlling I've ever seen.

Artistry; pure artistry :ok:

PS: he only gets the vote cos I aint wearing a headset these days

Coral - deep breath and lighten up mate

Betsy & Nikki
24th Jul 2007, 12:06
My vote for Chuck too! :ok::D

He's not only efficient for the RPT guys/girls but also used to do his very best helping out training aircraft within the area.

If my memory serves me he came over here when Reagan sacked the US Air traffic controllers years ago.

Yep, that's true.

Fail passive
24th Jul 2007, 12:20
Marcus in Cairns for sure. Top bloke. Actually, the Cairns controllers i must admit are as good as they get. :ok:

Tagneah
24th Jul 2007, 12:20
And another one for Chuck......

Gave me the whole airspace one christmas so i could crack over Ma and Pa Tag's place in a 73 while the BBQ was in full swing.

"track as desired, you're the only ones up there, cleared visual approach, tower 1 2 oh 5 at 5, So long"

:ok:

The Hedge
24th Jul 2007, 13:56
Alan from Mackay. This is going back about 5 years. Is he still there?

V1OOPS
24th Jul 2007, 21:38
Chuckie gets my vote too. Nothing fazes him no matter how much traffic there is - a calm flow of instructions and concise info as to why. I reckon he reads minds because as soon as we even think there's a short cut, Chuckie's suggesting it. Flicking over to Approach and hearing his voice is always a relief and a pleasure.

Private Patjarr
24th Jul 2007, 22:24
Agreed with whoever said CAGROs in Broome (well one of them anyway). Absolutely shocking.

Knackers
25th Jul 2007, 02:06
There's no doubt about it.....I'm the best air traffic controller!

Lasiorhinus
25th Jul 2007, 02:15
CAGRO should, at times, remember that it is not their job to control the airspace. Asking someone to hold short for arriving or departing traffic is one thing, screaming at the local meatbomber driver to 'get out of the circuit' is not, nor is chatting about the weekend's plans with the microlight driver when other aircraft need some airtime to arrange separation.

PropDuster
25th Jul 2007, 02:31
Gotta nominate Fish :yuk: formerly Townsville TWR/APP
dunno where he's at these days?
"cleared visual approach via cold rock, macka's and the seaview drivethrough"
"clear visual approach, cleared to land any runway" (I was 30 dme at the time)
Legend :ok:

fixa24
25th Jul 2007, 03:55
I don't get you guys.:confused:

One thread your moaning because we reduce your track miles and it blows your descent plan out the window, and the next thread the guy that gives you direct to base is the best guy out there?????:yuk:

I give up. :ugh::ugh:

The one time i tried to do this, to a C402, yes a C402, at 20nm leaving A040, I offered the straight in runway, the pilot replied " i need the track miles to get down"..........

Peter Fanelli
25th Jul 2007, 05:23
The one time i tried to do this, to a C402, yes a C402, at 20nm leaving A040, I offered the straight in runway, the pilot replied " i need the track miles to get down"..........

fer crying out loud!
I blame the flight schools and their masturbationist instructers.
No one else.

I didn't know this forum was self censoring.

meagain
25th Jul 2007, 10:12
Sorry, but London Heathrow makes the rest of the world, especiallly Oz, look like amateurs, and I'm not a Pom......:D

Chadzat
25th Jul 2007, 10:52
im a bit biased but...

The current guys in Alice Tower do a top job without a radar. With tourist season in full swing and all manner of types coming through they do a damn good job in whipping everyone into shape. I'm sure a radar would be welcomed though- by pilots especially!

Chuck also gets a vote from me.

Going Boeing
25th Jul 2007, 10:58
There's no doubt about it.....I'm the best air traffic controller!

Knackers mate - I'm still waiting for you to sort out the Perth SIDs and STARs, seeing as your the resident expert on airspace in the mighty West.

Are you doing much "hands on" air trafficing these days?

Cheers GB

redsnail
25th Jul 2007, 11:35
I didn't fly in Sydney airspace long enough to form an opinion.

Cairns controllers were great though. Sala on approach. No one can talk that fast!! I do remember "armagedon" though. :E

There was/is an American controller up there. Pure genius.

Marcus gets a vote too.

Nowadays I'd say the controllers at Schipol are the best. London ATC are very good but they talk too much with their headings etc. (If the STARS and SIDS were designed more efficiently they could just let us get on with it!!)

Pedota
25th Jul 2007, 11:37
The guy who acts as 'ringmaster' at Avalon Air Show is pretty impressive . . . I don't know the personalities, but I believe he also runs the tower at Essendon. He is polite, courteous, informative, predictive and doesn't take any cr@p from anyone!

Desert Duck
26th Jul 2007, 06:02
Been a while since I have been there but Alice Tower - particularly 'Pep'
Always helpful and NO RADAR.

SM4 Pirate
26th Jul 2007, 07:43
Dubya,

Tell me Coral, do you know how a B737 (or any jet) cam be on radar for the last 2 hours, and then when commencing profile descent, you get given flow instructions to pass LIZZI at Time+7... and still make stupid altitude requirements. NO YOU DON'T, DO YOU.
This is just an example of the stupidity in the ATC system. No, just an example of a stupid ATC.

Why put us all in that bucket?

If you truly were once TWR/ENR/APP rated you'd surely know that there are some that get it and some that don't (hopefully those who don't are getting rarer). Just like when a pilot asks for high speed descent when told to expect a 250K descent while being vectored in the cruise at minimum speed for sequencing, they are out there... Then there are those who cheat on IAS instructions and get annoyed when vectored cause they are too hot.

MAESTRO has helped a lot with sequencing, but it's still only in BN, ML and SY; it reserves you a slot effectively and gives you some sort of stability in that slot within 160NM or so; but things change. Going to SY for example, CB departures stuff up that stability cause they 'push in', same as WLM, BTH, ORG turbos etc. (or they get pushed back) Then there are go-a-rounds, medical, wx changes etc. that throw the whole thing out. Nothing is as insecure as a well established sequence, you should know that being ex ATC.

Area QNH is...
26th Jul 2007, 08:22
Get off your soapbox Coral!

The attitude of "superiority" is on both sides of the fence :rolleyes:

As was mentioned in another thread:

"we wouldn't be down here if they weren't up there!"

As for the money, well apart from the endorsement fee upfront, you might be surprised to know that 73 crews with VB start on about 20k more than a new rated ATC!

Not sure what the progression is like though

Gonzo
26th Jul 2007, 08:45
Please excuse a Pom intruding here, but I'm slightly confused as to why some flight crew seem to think that the ability to clear someone for a visual approach from 100 miles away, or clear someone to land from 30 miles away, makes them 'good' ATC.

Reddo, unfortunately the SIDS (and yes, all of us in ATC know they could be far more efficient too) aren't going to change, as they're all following minimum noise routes. Also, the STARS aren't going to move either, unless the whole of the London TMA route structure is changed, as is rumoured to happen when we get a third runway. So until then, we're forced to turn you left and right and left again to fit you in the airspace. :(

blueloo
26th Jul 2007, 09:04
I personally dont think that - although some blokes seem to want it all the time. Therein lies the problem - some guys want to come belting in, all to save what 1 or 2 minutes?

Essentially getting a visual approach absolves the controller of any responsibility doesnt it? Might aswell use them for the service they are their to provide and get paid for . (Assuming your not being farked around, although other than that female Perth ATCer I dont think they do it intentionally)

I would like to be left alone to do my own thing, not have to worry about CTA steps, other traffic, or Company SOPS etc - but as that is unreasonable, I would like to be able to plug into the FMC the STAR, and not get speed up, slowed down, held up and the track shortened at the last minute.

Going Boeing
26th Jul 2007, 09:42
Gonzo, my recent experience of London trafficers is that they are the best in the world. Considering the amount of traffic, I'm amazed how expeditiously we have been processed - all without the heart rate rising one beat.

I agree that the routing of SIDs and STARs will not change because of political considerations, however, some tweaking of the speeds can be done to allow us to more effectively manage energy during descent (thus saving fuel and reducing noise) whilst still allowing you guys to get the sequencing right (I'm talking about airports in general - not a specific airport). GB

Gonzo
26th Jul 2007, 10:07
blueloo,

In the UK we still have to provide separation between you on a visual approach, and the one behind you. Of course, not knowing how tight/wide you going to turn in, and what speed you'll do, makes it rather more complicated to get the correct spacing behind you. I've only ever worked at LHR tower, and to be honest the traffic is constant enough so that radar vectors with speed control mean that my Radar colleagues are hitting 2.5 miles constantly on approach. A few years ago a very expensive tool called Final Approach Spacing Tool (FAST) was developed which in essence told the final director when to turn an aircraft on to base and then again on to a closing heading, and what heading were needed (taking into account vortex spacing, and winds aloft). The performance never matched that of the usual 'human' method of experience and judgement.

GB, can you expand on your post? Although as I say I only work the Tower, I'd be interested in how you think we can perhaps improve the service.:ok:

sumtingwong
26th Jul 2007, 10:33
This thread was going well.

40+ posts and the inevatable pissing contest ensues....Pity:ugh:

redsnail
26th Jul 2007, 10:41
Gonzo,

Yes, it's such a pity that our hands are tied because of politics etc.

I went to the LATC meet and greet ATC day at West Drayton last year. What a fantastic day it was. Talk about an eye opener! It was well worth it and I do recommend any pilot to visit a busy ATC centre just to see how the ATCers manage to sort us out, listen to the joke running around the ops room and remember which pub the watch is going to post shift. :ok:

Unfortunately, 3 weeks after the visit I did a level bust in the London TMA... I was so embarrassed..:ouch:

Gonzo
26th Jul 2007, 10:48
Did you manage to have a play in the sims? That's always a good laugh....

Arm out the window
26th Jul 2007, 10:51
Saw Marcus today - still good value, gets the job done very well and pretty quick with a joke too.

Jenna Talia
26th Jul 2007, 11:13
:ok:I'd be interested in how you think we can perhaps improve the service.
Man, I wish that ATC had that attitude in Australia :ugh: Coral's infantile response says it all.

Going Boeing
26th Jul 2007, 12:01
I'd be interested in how you think we can perhaps improve the service

Gonzo

I was mainly referring to STAR's elsewhere (ie Oz) where the STAR both slows an aircraft down and requires a descent well below the normal profile. This results in application of thrust at low altitudes creating noise and additional fuel burn. The introduction of Continuous Descent Approaches into LHR has made it a lot easier for us to minimise fuel burn and keep the noise down. My recent experiences landing on 09 at LHR have been great in that ATC cancelled the requirement to slow down at the SLP 12NM prior to LAM and kept us higher (crossed LAM at FL130 320 kts) and were still doing 250 knots as we turned onto base for 09L (company requirements are max 250kts below 5000' and max 210kts below 3000'). The thrust levers did not move from idle until we were in landing configuration approx 1200'AGL. We saved a lot of fuel and Heathrows neighbours (incl those at Windsor) would not have been unhappy with the noise emitted.

In SYD arriving aircraft have to descend early to 9000' because of the airspace structure and there is a 250kt requirement below 10,000'. If the speed reduction was delayed until 8,500' then this would allow the "energy" to be dissipated during a near level stage of the flight resulting in less thrust being used (eg Boree STAR for Rwy 34L/R where there is approx 25NM to travel with only a 3,000' altitude loss). The slight difference in timing caused by slowing down at 8,500' in lieu of 10,000' could easily be adjusted into the flow sequencing and no structural changes to the airspace would be required.

Cheers GB

Gonzo
26th Jul 2007, 12:59
Is the 250kt below 10k a discretionary (i.e. ATC speed restriction) limit, or legal absolute (as in the equivalent of our Air Navigation Order legislation)?

Going Boeing
26th Jul 2007, 13:14
I understand that it is an ATC restriction applied to the STARs - Coral might have the reference.

Charlie Foxtrot India
26th Jul 2007, 13:17
My vote goes to Mike and the guys in Jandakot Tower, but especially Alec with the very soothing voice, who always keeps the circuit very tidy, looks after the solo studes, never sounds cross and made me a cup of tea on my last tower visit :ok:

redsnail
26th Jul 2007, 16:01
Gonzo,

Yeah, had a go. Bloody hell!! :ooh: Played on Thames Radar (they wanted us Netjet folk to see what it's like) and played Area too. Can't remember what freq but we were catching them from around the London area.

Strewth!! :ok:

The Hedge
26th Jul 2007, 19:43
Agree with the comments re London ATC. In excess of 95% of our approaches are logged as within a constant descent profile criteria established by NATS. Approach always give accurate track miles to run when leaving the hold which allows descending onto the glide without levelling off, creating noise and burning excess fuel.

Its amazing to watch it all on TCAS, they are amazing and never seem to get stressed out. All that with 2.5 nm sep, parallel runways and with 20nm of two other major airports.

Pity the rest of Europe arent as good.

AirNoServicesAustralia
26th Jul 2007, 20:21
Since Gonzo has made the trip from the UK to get involved in this Thread, I might stick my nose in from the Middle East. I know I will probably regret asking this question and am donning the helmet to protect me from the shellacking I will probably get, but just wondering if any of you guys fly in and out of Dubai and Abu Dhabi, or just overfly and what you think of the service you recieve and how we could improve that service. I know this is an Oz forum, but the Middle East thread is full of threads about Direct Entry Captain moaning, US dollar depreciation moaning, and about how many CEO's can Gulf Air go through in one year moaning. Fire away :ouch:

Delay Approved
26th Jul 2007, 23:23
250BLW100 is a requirment of Class C Airspace, as you would all know. (except MIL ACFT)I think this is only for VFR and SVFR aircraft. The only speed restrictions for IFR aircraft are as specified in the STAR or the general restrictions in ENR 1.5

Dawn Raid
27th Jul 2007, 00:31
250KT IAS BLW 10000

Found the reference in AIP ENR 1.1 - 102 "Aircraft Speeds."

Applies to IFR and VFR a/c operating in Class C,D,E,GAAP and Class G airspace.

Interestingly, the speed restrictions shown for VFR a/c in Class C airspace and IFR and VFR a/c in classes D,E and G airspace are not applicable to military aircraft.

cleatus
27th Jul 2007, 01:03
One of the best air traffic controllers I have encountered is the friendly & always happy bloke who works the northern NSW & Brisbane south sector. When formerly changing to Grafton CTAF & I'd " Call again after landing", the response would always be "Look forward to it". He even knew about the Grafton airport pet Peacock which had the run of the terminal for some time. This guy is a true gentleman of the skys. He went O/S for a few months & on return was a welcome familiar voice on the airways. I dont fly into Grafton anymore, & unfortunatly never caught his name. Thanks for the great work!

RENURPP
27th Jul 2007, 01:04
250KT IAS BLW 10000
Found the reference in AIP ENR 1.1 - 102 "Aircraft Speeds."
Applies to IFR and VFR a/c operating in Class C,D,E,GAAP and Class G airspace.
Nonsense.:confused:

re-read AIP ENR 80.
No speed restrictions for IFR aircraft in A and C airspace EXCEPT at Sydney Brisbane Melbourne and Gold Coast ( see ERSA special procedures)

Duff Man
27th Jul 2007, 06:53
We advised centre that we were happy to slow to let them go number 1,
Hate to point out the BIG PICTURE, Dubya, but you most probably weren't number 1 to begin with! there was probably a bunch of aircraft in front and behind and as you were dragging the chain at an econ speed, Maestro required some whip crackin'. It ain't as easy as swapping positions. (Unless you're going into a sleepy hollow like Adelaide). Then of course you were already below the other aircraft. Plus computers make mistakes (count yourself lucky you've nothing to do with ALOFT and the 6am arrivals to SYD).
If the speed reduction was delayed until 8,500' ...
From an ATC perspective, agreed. Perhaps 9000ft to make it match the crossing requirements. But you have to push your airline's management to push the change to Airservices.
Agree with the comments re London ATC. In excess of 95% of our approaches are logged as within a constant descent profile criteria established by NATS. Approach always give accurate track miles to run when leaving the hold which allows descending onto the glide without levelling off, creating noise and burning excess fuel.

Doesn't the fact that you've been in a holding stack defeat the purpose of a constant descent arrival? Shouldn't CDA be from cruise/TD? All the same, interesting to hear that London TMA can get something like this up.

Duff Man
27th Jul 2007, 06:56
Further to RENURPP's comment on AIP and speed restrictions, most STARs also state explicitly a speed restriction of 250kts below 10,000FT.

RENURPP
27th Jul 2007, 09:05
Considering my criticism of RAAF Darwin over the years I would like to vote for those lovely young ladies in darwin approach that have afforded me direct tracking and no speed restrictions over the last several months.
Keep up the good work ladies.:E
(is that what you were looking for:O??)

You need a bit of work on your score cards.
3/10 and giving the F/O what was it 9/10, will not help your cause!!!:=

Going Boeing
27th Jul 2007, 09:09
Duff Man

From an ATC perspective, agreed. Perhaps 9000ft to make it match the crossing requirements. But you have to push your airline's management to push the change to Airservices.

To manage the aircraft energy efficiently, the altitude requirement has to be met first and then commence slowing down which is why I suggested 8,500'. If you made it 9,000' then there would be no improvement over the current situation.

gaunty
27th Jul 2007, 09:47
Dunno who it was on Perth Approach the other evening when the weather was super sh!t and aircraft stacked, banking up and holding all over the place, by the cool calmness, steady cadence and quiet tenor of his voice every one got home and even the pilots were picking up on his coolth. :D:D:D:D:) I even had to turn up the volume.:ok:

Quokka
27th Jul 2007, 10:06
Older, experienced, professional controllers... unfortunately, some of the older Perth guys are rapidly approaching retirement age. :uhoh:

PEETEESIX
27th Jul 2007, 10:53
Surely the winner is...........

Chucky:D:D:ok:

gaunty
27th Jul 2007, 11:49
Quokka

rapidly approaching retirement age what's this retirement thing I ask. I reckon I was robbed, as a tacker I thought I'd be fishing by now, right.:{ Nup, working harder than I ever have just to stay afloat.:sad:

Quokka
27th Jul 2007, 12:17
what's this retirement thing I ask. I reckon I was robbed, as a tacker I thought I'd be fishing by now, right. Nup, working harder than I ever have just to stay afloat.

Inflation... :{

blueloo
27th Jul 2007, 12:35
Dunno who it was on Perth Approach the other evening when the weather was super sh!t and aircraft stacked, banking up and holding all over the place, by the cool calmness, steady cadence and quiet tenor of his voice every one got home and even the pilots were picking up on his coolth. :D:D:D:D:) I even had to turn up the volume.:ok:

I can just hear the min fuel QF idiots looking at their offsider going what do we do now?

Luckily not to many min fuel idiots about, but "not to many" is still to many!

dogebros
29th Jul 2007, 00:07
Australian airspace and atc are a disgrace as well as the approach aids (ie. Australia do not have any ils better than Cat 1, we are so backward it is not funny!). We still think we are world leaders but in fact have let the world get away from us whilst we bask in the glory of being first class. It is an embarrassment when overseas airlines visit here and have to put up with huge delays caused by traffic (we aren't even that busy) and weather (we should be able to land in 50 metres visibility but due to lack of investment we can't, even though the aircraft can!).
A United 747 departed Sydney a few years ago and the Captain said to Sydney atc "I've been flying in here for 20 years or more and am about to retire so this is my last trip. I would like to say thanks and congratulations on being the second best air traffic control in the world."
Sydney atc replied "Thanks and all the best in your retirement. Oh, by the way, who is the best?"
United replied "The rest of the world!!"

I think that just about sums it up. :ugh:

Night Flight
29th Jul 2007, 18:42
Another vote for Chucky from me:ok:... every pilot flying in or thought AD will agree he's a champion!:D

haughtney1
29th Jul 2007, 20:18
The best controllers....hmmmmmmm yep London TMA and the final vector (director) guys/gals..they even laugh at my jokes at 3am:E
Gonzo, I had a go on the sims..and found out I couldn't write and talk at the same time..those pesky strips!!!

Oz controllers in my experience are up there, as are the NZ counterparts...

If anyone ever operates in the middle east or Africa...its always fun to ignore the first instruction (just for a second or two) and wait for the instruction to be shouted...so you can hear it better:}

AQIS Boigu
30th Jul 2007, 02:04
how about the North American dude at Cairns Approach...he must be right up there... never stresses out when all the others do...:ok:

AB

ps.: does anyone know his name???

Bedder believeit
30th Jul 2007, 02:46
"And the best controller is????"...you pilots shouldn't even be allowed to get near answering this sort of question. You wouldn't have a bloody clue. The best controllers come from all sorts of places, and work in all sorts of places, and they are the ones who are calm, knowledgeable, easy to work with, are not prima donna's, are thoughtful instructors, all parts of the job that you people in aeroplanes wouldn't have a schmick about. And I reckon I should have a fair idea, having worked 21 years in Oz (SY all positions, CB all positions, Bankstown, TW TWR, BN APP and TWR, DUBAI APP & TWR, KAI TAK APP & TWR, and now Chek Lap Kok APP & TWR). I have worked with Aussies (like me), Kiwis, South Africans, Irish, Poms (from that be all and end all LHR) Yanks, Canadians, Danes, Swedes...you name it. You might think I'm singing that old Lucky Star song "I've been everywhere", but I can assure you, in my environment (at the Earth bound end of a microphone) the people I work with and see every day of my working life, are where I judge the answer to this question, and all over the place, they range from good to bad. As for you International drivers that always go on about Heathrow, and how good they are, well, I've worked with at least 20 odd people from there, and they are just the same as the rest of us...good, bad and indifferent! A thread like this is akin to letting passengers start a topic "And the best pilot is???", once again, they wouldn't have a bloody clue!

Howard Hughes
30th Jul 2007, 03:59
The best controllers come from all sorts of places, and work in all sorts of places, and they are the ones who are calm, knowledgeable, easy to work with, are not prima donna's,
Yep, definately sounds like Chuck from Adelaide to me, never a calmer voice was heard over a microphone...:ok:

Oh sorry I have already voted!:O

Muffinman
30th Jul 2007, 04:19
Geez after that tongue lashing, my vote now goes to Bedder believeit 'cause as a pilot "you wouldn't have a bloody clue". So let's all stop wondering what the best....... twin/single/piston/turbine/airline/headset/wine/music/movie/album/car/food/book/suburb/city/country/rugby/rules/sport/
....can someone help me continue on with the list so that we can keep bedder happy about any other dangerous transgressions into any future 'best is..' topic:{

F:mad:g sook.

Bedder believeit
30th Jul 2007, 04:26
Like "muffins" Muffinman...they do say they are all the same, but it's all in the eye of the beholder!! B B

Peter Fanelli
30th Jul 2007, 14:12
Come and visit BN one evening this summer when the TS roll through. And see people who actually thrive on sorting out that mess!

Oh please, thunderstorms and typical Australian capital city traffic?
Give me a break.

Try evening thunderstorms at Memphis during the Fedex rush.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6886880938991195179

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=809266575548662007

Remember, those two video clips are showing ONLY Fedex traffic.

I would like to point out that I am not an Air Traffic Controller and therefore my inclusion of these links is in no way intended to suggest that I am working in Memphis or for FedEx, nor that I have a bigger dick than anyone else here.
Although I probably do, so there! :}

papi on
30th Jul 2007, 16:06
Sometimes I read these threads and it takes me back to primary school in the sixties!
"My dad earns more than you're dad".
"No he does'nt".
"Yes he does". etc etc.
The only difference was the dad's were having a beer together at night and were not concerned about the conversation that their kids were having as they discussed life in their workplaces! Everyone was equal at the pub!
We are still carrying on with the same 6 year old 'big d*ck conversations as we get close to retirement age!

Chuck sounds great but he may be in a situation where he has the upper hand (i.e. staffing) and knows he can leave when the time suits him and therefore do as he pleases. If a 30 year old with a couple of kids did the same they may be asked in for tea and bikkies!

I guess what I am trying to say is let's all try to take it easy with critisism of each others roles as we all need to work together. Somedays you win and others you lose. Every workplace will have gifted employees and plodders. Do a survey of customers and one may put you in one classification and another may put you in the opposite. What you deliver will never satisfy everyone.

Most on this forum are workers. We have no control over the modern business environment that see's us as a cost rather than an asset. The best thing that we can do is to band together in an attempt to wait for the day where work ethic and common sense prevails although my optimism is waning at a rapid rate.

Maybe a good stock market crash will be the solution and we can move out of this superannuation fuelled economy that we live in and return to a common sense environment.

In the meantime all of us, Cabin Crew, Engineers, Pilots, ATC and everyone one else are all in the same boat so let's all work together to bring on 'the revolution'.

Sorry about the rant but the red is now finished so I can go to bed!

Papi

Peter Fanelli
30th Jul 2007, 17:59
Sometimes I read these threads and it takes me back to primary school in the sixties!
"My dad earns more than you're dad".

Papi On you must have gone to one of them fancy posh schools if you bragged about money. When I went to primary school in the 60's it was more about my dad's Holden being better than your dad's Simca.

Capt Claret
30th Jul 2007, 23:48
Oi, Peter, your dad's Holden might have been better than his dad's Simca, but it wasn't better than my dad's Woolsley! ;)

Peter Fanelli
31st Jul 2007, 00:29
A Wolseley......geez my Uncle had one of those. I remember the illuminated Wolseley emblem in the grille.

OK how many here have actually driven the famous Nissan Cedric? :cool:

papi on
31st Jul 2007, 00:44
Papi On you must have gone to one of them fancy posh schools if you bragged about money. When I went to primary school in the 60's it was more about my dad's Holden being better than your dad's Simca.

Nah public and we didnt have any money we just pretended we did like everyone else!

Mum did have one of those Morris Minors that had the indicators on arms between the front and rear doors and pull down holland blinds in the back! (Til I broke them!).

Bedder believeit
31st Jul 2007, 01:01
My Dad had a '50 Humber Super Snipe (swinging turn indicators etc), but then I shouldn't mention that here, I might be accused of being elitist, or has that happened already? Anyway Peter, you must be home sick (like me), an expat sounding off on principally an Oz discussion. By the way, great reply Papi on....Tasmania eh!!!!

papi on
31st Jul 2007, 14:54
Tasmania eh!!!!

Nah. Long way from Tassie. They are getting the Morris Minor released there next year apparently!

Just waiting for the angry response from Scurvy who is dying to upgrade from his Zephyr!!!

Gonzo
5th Aug 2007, 05:16
ATCOs' opinion on who is 'the best'.....

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265186&page=2

My contribution on that thread......

>>Seriously?

The worst controllers are those who feel they know it all and even if they don't, are afraid to look stupid by asking for help or advice.

The best are the opposite, they know they will never know everything about their job, they know there will always be someone with a little more experience and knowledge than themselves, and they are willing to ask for help or advice, knowing and yet not caring that it might make them look stupid.<<

divingduck
5th Aug 2007, 11:06
Gonzo, WTF are you thinking of? This is an Ozzie forum, thoughtful, non insulting contributions from you foreigners have no place here:ugh:
Anyway...back to topic, my dad had an FC holden, and it was better than anyone else's dads Ford!:eek:

PS Hautney1...fly in UAE or Dubai's airspace and ignore calls....I dare you:E

duke of duchess
5th Aug 2007, 15:09
A few years back darwin was good, then they had to go and get rid of the guys/girls that new what they were doing and get some more trainees in :(

Singapore has been very good, very busy but very organised, even vectored us around sells.

perth are terrible, it is amazing the way they can give you 20min holding for traffic, when no traffic holding is required and you have come from the other side of the continent with 100+kt headwinds.

however Noumea takes the cake when they put us in a holding pattern for 20min, so they could get an aircalin flight ahead that had been 10 min behind us the entire way across, The Fact we were MED1 meant nothing, but the real annoying part was that it was a clear day and they wouldnt let us leave the pattern till after the aircalin plane had left the runway. It was CAVOK too, so we even offered to track direct to the field at max spead.

Home nation advantage.

Scurvy.D.Dog
6th Aug 2007, 03:14
... Zephyr ... sounds like some sort of mainland STD :p ... and as for the those new fangled morris things ... forget it .. way to many moving parts :mad:
.. Nup, I'll stick to the GG .... although I do wonder about all this climate change stuff.. :suspect: …. people (you know the type, those green leaning metroferkinpinkopoof types that frequent this place) are trying to drag us (kicking and screaming … I might add) into the 20th century
.. I was told the other day that transport generated green house gas emissions are a problem …. so I tried using that ethanol stuff .. :ooh:
…. Firkin horse took two days of diggin to bury …. :mad::mad:
I knew I shouldn’t have listened …. both heads were telling me it was a crock :E

west atc
6th Aug 2007, 07:29
Duke of Duchess, have you seen how much traffic uses Perth these days? 20 minutes holding for traffic when there is no traffic, give me a break! Of course ATC will only hold for their amusement as it is so much fun to do. It is not our problem you to battle 100kt headwinds across the Bight but if you want to arrive at the same time as 30-40 aircraft returning to the mines then you will have to wait your turn.

We are getting sick of the quote "what do you mean holding, this is Perth!" Have a look at the property prices to see how much Perth has changed.

If you want us to increase the amount of landing slots available, push the government to allow a proper route structure not dependent on what airspace Pearce want.

noknead
6th Aug 2007, 08:21
Hey JET_A_KNIGHT........

"Where's Rodney Rude outta Tamworth Tower these days??"

If Rodney Rude out of Tamworth tower is who I think he is......... try Launceston tower in the middle of Tassie.........:)

justapilot
7th Aug 2007, 03:25
I have got to give a mention to the guys that put up with us VFR pop ups in MK and HM.:ok: ( I think we used to be "affectionally" reffered to as PINK **** by Binnos , due to the colour of the slip that you pick up to right our details on := ) You guys do bloody well with your Gyro Stabilised Eyeballs ... I' m gonna miss your laid back style :{ .... Cheers ( You Know who you are !!):ok::ok:

Bug Smasher Smasher
10th Aug 2007, 21:28
Can any Sydney controllers explain this one? It's happened to me a number of times before but the example the other day was so blatant and frustrating:

AUDLY 2 arrival, approaching NASHO 5500' 250KIAS. Talking to Director.

"XXX cancel STAR, turn left heading 030, descend to 2000, cleared visual approach runway 34L."

Ok, not TOO big a drama but then 30s later:

"XXX reduce to not above 160 knots, SAAB on final, pretty slow"

#&%$!

Guys, this makes life really difficult. It's not impossible but it just really increases our workload. Sure it's almost even fun for us but for a heavy jet to be cut in and slowed down like that, sheesh... :=

somniferous
10th Aug 2007, 22:43
Bug Smasher Smasher.

I don't work SYD but I think you will find that in your situation (and I wasn't there so I could be wrong) that just because you were cleared the VSA didn't mean you were #1. You can be cleared for that VSA approach once you hit 30nm. Quite often you will look at the radar and see that the 5 or 6 you have are going to work naturally and so you wrap everyone up and sit to watch (ok so that never happens... but in a perfect world)

Different companies fly different profiles and different pilots within the one company will fly differently to his mate who just landed. You can bet your bones that the controller looked at the situation thought "this will work" wrapped you up and then saw the guy in front slow down on final.

If as you say the SAAB was cut in. More than likely it was (and I wasn't there) because if the SAAB didn't go there then he had to hold and we don't like doing that. It isn't easy when everything in the sky is point at one point. Much easier when they are outbound!...mind you they all come back at some point:hmm:

We do the best we can and trust me you might think that it buggers you around, but not so much as it does if we lose our standard or if you run up the tail of the guy in front because we didn't want to bugger you around.

We don't put speed restrictions on "for controller amusement" or so that we have time to finish our doughnut before we have to talk to you again.

Having said that my locals are brilliant and if you need some help to make it work they will do all they can.

ForkTailedDrKiller
10th Aug 2007, 23:04
The best Air Traffic Controller is ..........

.......... the next one who clears me "direct"!

Dr :cool:

SM4 Pirate
11th Aug 2007, 03:01
AUDLY is gone at the end of August; renamed DUDOK or something like that.

Re the slow SAAB; s/he too was probably doing a visual approach; but director expected him to turn tight up Cronulla/Wanda beach, not run through to pick up the centre line south of Kernell; or something like that; what you expect from a visual approach and what you sometimes get is remarkable.

Some days you are the statue, some days the pigeon; on some days, both.

Bug Smasher Smasher
11th Aug 2007, 03:02
somniferous: I have no doubt that you guys don't do it just for a laugh or to make life easy for yourselves. I have the utmost respect for you and you kind (have a good friend in your midsts and know well what you guys have to deal with). I'm thinking it was one of those, "Oh bloody hell, how'd Rex get in there?" moments!

so-long and YSSY ATCOs: the AUDLY 2 STAR isn't actually all that bad if we're left to fly the whole procedure and given continuous descent clearances, it works quite well but the 14nm final's overkill.

It'd be GREAT if that one was left for days when instrument approaches were required and on VMC days we were just given the RIVET 8. OR if on VMC days and flying the AUDLY 2 it'd be really helpful to know early (first contact with Director would be sufficient) if we are about to receive track shortening.

Generally it's pretty good fun cutting the corner, disconnecting and doing all that pilot stuff for real, it just means I might not finish my coffee or get that one more number on Sudoku before we land. ;)

SM4 Pirate: ooohh! I eagerly await it's promulgation.

Ivasrus
11th Aug 2007, 06:52
bug smasher smasher and jet pilots into SY:

The AUDLY 2 is despised by the controllers who have to work it. It gets cancelled almost all the time because it doesn't work with independent visual approaches (nor a 24/hr arrival rate). So when you get a vector for final near NASHO, that's to ensure you can legally join final close to traffic on final for 34R. If you don't get the vector, the other traffic has to be given extra track miles to follow you, or you get a step descent on that traffic until you're nicely established on the loc.

:ok: Here's a tip: every time you come in on the AUDLY 2, expect to cross BOOGI not below 6000 then about 25 track miles, report "Runway 34L in sight" to director, and don't read back the loc freq.

The name change I believe is due to soundalike confusion with the ODALE arrival amongst occasional int'l operators.

A recent internal report on the AUDLY 2 found that aircraft actually use more fuel and take 1-2 minutes longer to get to the threshold when compared with a radar vectored circuit. Just as well controllers cancel it all the time. Go figure... why precisely do airlines want this crap?

drshmoo
12th Aug 2007, 09:39
Willy ATC can be extremely interesting!!! (Euphamism) :ugh:

As far as personality goes... In bankstown is the Dragon Lady still there???:8

Philthy
14th Aug 2007, 12:24
What!!

No votes for Philthy?

Bat, ball, harrumphhhh......

Scurvy.D.Dog
14th Aug 2007, 17:17
... you got my vote big fella:)

Safety is your middle name .... if I could be half as good!:ok:

Capt Kremin
14th Aug 2007, 19:47
The guy who cleared me direct to Bolinda from TOC SYD one Christmas Eve a few years back when we told him we needed to get to MEL quickly or else miss out on paxing on the last flight home.

You sir, are a legend!:)

P.S. we made it!

Aussie Insider
24th Oct 2008, 08:06
Chucky for sure! ADL APP

Funny today, passing on messages to his daughter (travelling to the U.S via SYD) on QF738

If you were lucky to be on 118.2 when QF738 contacted departures it was an amusing conversation!:D

waren9
24th Oct 2008, 11:11
My vote goes to "rack 'em and stack 'em" Mel from Wellies.

Right from when I started going there in Aztecs.

Not sure where he is nowadays. Good stuff. :ok:

slackie
24th Oct 2008, 19:31
Best Air Traffic Controller is... the one taking over from me when it's hometime!!:ok:

ForGreaterSafety
25th Oct 2008, 02:09
A few pilots have said how bad we are at ATC here in Oz, but some of the problem is definately the rules we have to abide by here. Have a chat to a couple of controllers together, one from overseas and one from here and you will certainly see the difference in separation standards here, especially in procedural airspace. Our Manual of Air Traffic Control has about 150 pages for an aircraft to change levels, it's almost debilitating at times. Talking to two aircraft that you know are 100 NM apart but still having to prove it by getting distance reports or get updated estimates etc, just adds to our frustration at not being able to provide a better service. There are good and bad in all jobs, but bear in mind that all of us (pretty much) are trying to give you the best we can within the rules.

Cheers
FGS:}

A Comfy Chair
25th Oct 2008, 13:50
FGS,

Completely agree, and for what its worth, when you hear most of us on the airborne side of the fence whinge and moan about Sydney having second class ATC, its not the people involved that we are upset about, its the system.

I have no doubt we have some of the most capable and well trained controllers in the world, but the system is still terribly broken and very very inefficient.

I know it works both ways, but I do think a lot can be learned for a controller by asking why do pilots think certain people are better than others. Its not always just because they were cleared direct... there are often other reasons.

My reasons for voting LHR control as some of the best? Very simple. Although there are often significant delays, they are always met with a controller who is calm, collected, usually polite, and most of all keeps us informed. Being kept in the loop really does help.

An example coming into Sydney one morning was being told to maintain present speed (M0.88 in a 744 trying to make up time), then being told that there would be 25 mins of holding. We ask to slow down enroute (still about 20mins before we get to the hold), and are told no, we must maintain max speed until the hold, and then hold for 25 minutes. A longhaul arrival as I'm sure all ATC are aware often have fuel issues, and to be asked to maintain such a high speed and then hold chews through the gas faster than the environmentalists would like to know.

We politely inquired as to why we must maintain max speed, but no answer was forthcoming. It is small things like a bit of information for an unusual requirement like this that can seperate a "technically" good ATC from one that pilots praise and respect, and after all... we can all learn from our peers!

Of course it is not a one way street, and I am more than happy to learn about little things I can do to make an ATC's job easier... but of course the guys who need to learn are the ones that won't listen :}

Capt Wally
25th Oct 2008, 22:22
I wouldn't want to be an ATC guy/gal for all the tea in China. They do a pretty good job most of the time dealing us out like cards in a rigged poker game! We pilots see only a very small part as to what's really a large picture. Sure I get a little p*ssed off when I get taken for the 'shafted1 arrival' esspecially when it's hot & bumpy & my pax/s aren't feeling too flash, come to think of it they never feel to flash otherwise they wouldn't be in my plane in the first place! I do feel for them though (patients) when I can't justify a Med 1 flight when we are bounced from one end of the sky to the other. But when we do have to go Med 1 then it's rock & roll direct direct:)

One thing though we do seem to have large gaps (time wise) between ldg's & T/off's compared to OS, why is this?

Keep the good work up guys, yr only human & as long as you keep the "metal-to-metal" noise to a min then we all ought to be very grateful:ok:

CW

ForGreaterSafety
26th Oct 2008, 05:29
Comfy,
Of course I wasn't the controller at the time but some of our oceanic standards rely on a Mach number technique and if a sep standard has been set up using this and the one in front or behind was co-altitude and or changing levels through yours then the mach numbers have to be effectively locked in.

Just a thought. Hope it helps.

Cheers
FGS:}

makespeed250kt
26th Oct 2008, 09:06
Capt Wally, You flying docs do a wonderful job and I can tell you from first hand experience, we (atc) do everything we can to help you guys along.

If there is the slightest chance that you may have to declare MED1 enroute, just do it, and the earlier the better.

It's much easier to accomodate when you're 150nm out than at 50nm to run and in the middle of a tight sequence,

Safe flying.

A Comfy Chair
26th Oct 2008, 09:25
FGS,

Thanks for the reply.

We thought about that, but I must admit I thought that by 20mins from the hold into Sydney we'd be under radar by then.

The guy behind us also got a 25 minute hold... I'd have thought maybe telling him to slow down would work? Not many aircraft fly around at .88 after being told they'll hold.

My point was more that it wasn't the instruction that was annoying, as the lack of information as to why (even after one polite inquiry... we didn't ask twice!) A small thing in the scheme of things, but something that gets brownie points for when we do the next secret ballot for controller of the year :}

Capt Wally
26th Oct 2008, 12:07
hey 'makespeed25kts' tnxs.

We do our best in at times very trying conditions just like you guys.
Often a med 1 flight may happen enroute as in the patient is going t*ts up whilst airborne. A lot of our 'customers' even though aren't in a life threatening situation & therefore don't warrant a Med 1 flt are still crook to the point that any extra track miles isn't helpful IE: spinal injuries. I understand you need to slot everyone in when we do upset the apple cart by going Med 1 but at times we scratch out heads as to why we are sent bush for the shafted 1 arrival:sad: As you would know we used to go O/H ML off rwy 35 at EN when going N/W that was great saved a lot of time but it's long gone, somebody obvioulsy thought hey can't make it too easy for 'em:{ Anyway keep our tracking as short as possible thanks, we ain't up there for the fun of it!

I recently had a quick listen to a link that an ATC guy posted on the thread I started "Funny R/T". It was a live feed (& some saved feeds) to some amazing ATC conversations OS. One guy had what appeared to be a zillion planes all in his sector & he was dealing them out like a pro one after the other in rapid fire. Hardly a breath was drawn from his dialogue between callsigns. Huge amount of speed directions to just about all A/C. He even had a Medijet flight (a LR35 probably) not doing as they where told quickly enough,you know reduce speed, maintain speed, turn this way turn that way & he threatened them that he would 'pull them out' (meaning remove him from the ldg seq) if he (the Medijet) didn't act quickly to the ATC guys directions. Was amazing to listen to, those ATC guys are insane!, thank God we here in Oz have it easy, very easy!:ok:

CW

Kickatinalong
26th Oct 2008, 12:48
Cast your minds back a few years to Camden Tower there was a controller named Jerry O'Day he will always get my vote for the best. Iv'e been in the CCT when a 90 degree wind change came up and he had 7 A/C in the cct and managed with good work to change all to the grass and talk each one in. It was just great to see a pro at work.
Kickatinalong.:ok::ok::ok:

Duff Man
26th Oct 2008, 23:57
Just a comment about comparing oz atc to that in most places OS ... Australian ATC's work their positions solo, whereas foreign controllers have an assistant for internal coordination, which allows them to handle around double the traffic. Same same, but different.

Three methods of flow sequencing:

1. Dirty speeds on descent and long (40 NM) downwinds depending on traffic ... this is the US style. Delays absorbed with extended vectoring at low level.

2. Profile to the close-in stack ... circle until it's your turn, this is the European style. Delays absorbed in holding patterns at levels 6000 and up.

3. Reduced speed in cruise, high level holding patterns, profile speed into circuit, this is the Australian style. Delays absorbed at high level, uncongested TMAs generally, but inaccuracies meeting gate (feeder fix) times will lead to inefficient approach acceptance rates, with the slow down/speed up scenario common.

Airlines will generally agree that (3) gives overall best solution to the 'bottom line' and it's easy here where the enroute airspace is generally empty compared to European and North American skies.

Capt Wally
27th Oct 2008, 01:17
hey "Duff' am sure that's all true but it boils down to the fact that here in Oz the airspace is all but M/T compared to Nth America & Europe. The ATC guy I heard on that tape may very well have assistance (he needed it!) but it was his voice & his voice only that was dealing out the 'cards' in rapid fire & only he could have been making all those decisions that quick.

I recall on a recent Tv show (just the other night) the United 93 movie re 9/11 & one scene showed ATC guys chatting about what to do after they realised that there was a terrorist attack under way one guy said how many A/C have we airborne at the moment? (assuming continental USA) he said nearly 4000 planes, sheeeeez that's unreal compared to us here! I'm not taking away what the Aussie ATC guys do here in OZ but like I said it's a virtual holiday camp here in OZ.:)

CW

lestump
1st Nov 2008, 11:30
Not wishing to take away from the guy's apparent skills but just be aware that alot of recording is done on voice activated mikes and you may only therefore be hearing what goes on while he's speaking, not a real-time recording with periods of silence between transmissions. Then again, things are always bigger and better over there, hey?

scanavos
1st Nov 2008, 16:49
The Greek controller on radar when a student pilot declared was lost over mid-Aegean sea and asked for vectors to the nearest airport and controller's answer was: Sorry, I cannot give you vectors because you are on a VFR flight plan...
Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority must very proud for the controllers they employ...

(The student was clever, called military radar and found the way home).

Willoz269
2nd Nov 2008, 22:52
In all my years as an ATC I never worked out why pilots always tend to think they are the only ones in the air!!

I can remember quite a few anecdotes...Outback sector in Brisbane for example...a QF747 flying north at F310 opposite direction an RAAF C-130 at F200 with faulty radio.....the QF747 cut in to the frantic calls demanding to know where the Herc was because he had a right to know what traffic was in his area...he was reminded the Herc was 11,000 feet below him and did not constitute traffic, and stay out of the frequency whilst we helped the RAAFie....but no, he had to continue, until a senior controller cut in with a classic...."Listen captain, You pedal, WE steer"....that was the end of that....

The best pilots as far as I am concerned? I would have to say certain foreign ones....I can recall one morning having 12 aeroplanes in a stack southbound to Brisbane....ILS was down, so holding everywhere....I told a Qf743 to give me minimum speed as I needed to put 25nm trail to alleviate the holding pattern ahead...I asked the 7473 what his minimum speed was so the MD-11 behind him could match him....his response? M.60 at F350!!!! what a crock of sh!T!! he refused to cooperate, the MD-11 pilot even asked him directly, so I asked the MD-11 for minimum but we still had closure so ended up "fishtailing" the MD-11 behind as the groundspeed of the QF743 was going up and down...I suspect he was playing with the throttles but cannot prove it....when he changed frequency, the MD-11 skipper said "thanks for trying, I guess with pilots like these around here, you guys in ATC really earn your pay!"

Or there was the Aussie captain who filed an incident report because he planned Sydney-Singapore at F350 but had to be pegged at F330 as crossing traffic at F350 was already there....as far as he was concerned, he planned at F350 and he should have F350....funny, so did the other pilot.

Or how about the QF767s that met over PNG every single evening on converging tracks from HK and Japan....every single day the arrived over the PNG waypoint within 3 minutes of each other, at exactly the same level, and complained to us when one of them had to change levels...what gives??

It only takes one idiot like the ones above to ruin your day, and your good mood and willingness to go the extra mile goes out the window until the next shift.