PDA

View Full Version : Ice Buildup on Props

thebug622
22nd Jul 2007, 18:18
While on a flight from Charlotte to Athens Ga on a prop plane I noticed that every few minutes a slamming noise could be heard on the side of the plane I mentioned this to a member of the flight crew and she said tha noise resulted from ice that had built up on the prop and when it reached a certain level it flew off,anyone have any idea if that was an accurate explanation?It seemed to me if that occurred you would eventually damage the aircraft.

BOFH
22nd Jul 2007, 18:51
You might with to read 'Fate is the Hunter' by Ernest Gann.

If you are not in a DC-2 it is probably nothing to worry about.

BOFH

stevef
22nd Jul 2007, 18:53
It was a reasonable answer. Many aircraft have doubler panels in the fuselage 'throw-off' area to prevent skin damage. Also, many aircraft have prop de-icing systems to prevent accretion: either electrical heater mats or de-icing fluid distributed via a slinger ring.

stevef
22nd Jul 2007, 18:58
That chapter in Fate is the Hunter regarding the DC2 airframe and carb icing was fascinating; obviously less so for the crew! Goes to show what some aircraft will take (in conjunction with old-hand pilots)!

cavortingcheetah
23rd Jul 2007, 11:21
:hmm:

Does that on the port side of the F27, leaving dents in the fuselage, sometimes in spite of the extra plate bolted on. Used to scare the pax motherless flying around in Africa where very few had ever heard of ice outside a deep draught of cane and cola.:rolleyes:

10secondsurvey
24th Jul 2007, 08:12
Experienced this once in the UK with BA. Weather was very very bad, to the extent I didn't think the turbo prop would be flying. Good thing was, the pilot actually came on to warn the pax that there might be some banging on the aircraft due to ice coming from the props.

This was really helpful, as everyone was already sh*tting themselves due to the bad weather, turbulence etc...