PDA

View Full Version : Robin ' Bob' Milne - Airspeed Test Pilot

Double Zero
22nd Jul 2007, 13:26
Does anyone have any memories or info' on Bob Milne, test pilot for Airspeed in Nevil Shute Norway days, then De Havilland when they absorbed Airspeed ?

He started in RFC days flying Camels from a carrier in the anti-Bolshevik operations, later test flew the Oxford, Ambassador, Horsa, & others, also flew many fighters for delivery to work during WW2 and a great deal else.

His daughter is now poorly, and we are trying to collate some info' on her dad, something dear to her for a very long time.

A message to all of you; she always regretted not sitting her Dad down and making him recount his experiences - like a lot of people he was naturally reticent.

Then, over 20 years ago now, Don Middleton's excellent book ' Test Pilots- The history of British Test Flying, 1903-1984 ' came out.

It gave Bob Milne a mention, but his daughter Jenny thought he was worth more than that & wrote saying so to the late Mr Middleton.

His reply was he agreed he'd put in a larger piece in the 2nd edition - which never was published - and in the meantime ' would she like a tape he'd recorded in interview with her father ?'

This was worth more than any gold to Jenny - but there's a lot more to the story. Bob is also mentioned for an unusual feat of airmanship in a book on the Mosquito...he was a contemporary of Ron Clear & George Errington, and sometimes flew Nevil Shute Norway, the founder of Airspeed.

Any contributions very gratefully received, as we are trying to put together an entry for the Tartan Terror's excellent Test Pilot tribute.

Thanks for reading, any help appreciated - DZ

Mikko63
19th Jul 2015, 19:28
Hello DZ!
I just found this old post of yours about Robert Milne.I am writing a book about the British pilots of the HMS Vindictive esquadron in the Baltic in 1919 and I would be very interested to hear more about Milne, who was also there.
Cheers Mikko63