PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL in SA?

7th Jun 2000, 22:56
Evening chaps.

I'm a 24 year old UK PPL, with the cash ready to go for an ATPL.

I'm intending on training in South Africa as I have relatives out there (plus I'm sick of England at the moment!).

Could anyone shed any light on JAA ATPL training, in your neck of the woods. Any advice / experiences would be greatly appreciated.

tired
8th Jun 2000, 00:52
5150 - not sure if there are any JAA-approved courses in SA, don't think so. But try 43 Air School at Port Alfred, they seemed to be pretty clued up. I don't have any contact details for them but they advertise in Pilot magazine.

Good luck

skyvan
8th Jun 2000, 01:18
There is a company in Johannesburg (I think it is FTC) who are offering the JAA groundschool, in conjunction with a UK company. Mention was made of it on PPRuNe a few months ago.
You'll still have to return to Europe to write the exams, and for final prep for the flight test, but I don't see any reason why you can't do the bulk of the flying out here.
Just remember, the flying schools here don't have much knowledge of the JAA syllabus, so it will be up to you to drive your training in the right direction.
Good luck.

APR
8th Jun 2000, 12:31
FTC are the people you want to talk.

8th Jun 2000, 22:51
I've heard rumours about FTC having a bad reputation in SA (according to a few on the wannabe site), but I'll certainly chase them up anyway.

Thanks all, for taking the time to get back to me.

Regards

Vuurpyl
8th Jun 2000, 23:25
Try this webpage for info on the aviation world in SA: http://www.aeropages.co.za

This should put you on track and good luck.

------------------
Regards

Save flying, Low & Slow and throttle back round the corners!!

Dirk
10th Jun 2000, 21:33
Hi there

I'm at 43 Air School, at the moment doing CPL groundschool. Training here has been excellent so far.

There are a couple of guys here building hours while doing Oxford's modular ATPL route. Not sure about the cost, but speak to Steve Goodrick, the chief flying instructor.

Feel free to email me if you need any more info.
Cheers
[email protected]

13th Jun 2000, 15:43
Cheers Dirk,

I'll drop you a line shortly.