PDA

View Full Version : My Options

Shakuri
21st Jul 2007, 22:52
Hi, I've been around reading threads on this forum for a long time now, and thought it was about time i made a proper appearance.

I am going to start flying when I finish uni next summer, my degree is in web management (not that its relevant). I need to decided where and how to begin flying so this is where I thought alot of you could help me. I've read many threads about many schools. I currently live on the Wirral and also in Leeds for uni so they are options for schools in the UK, I have read about Ravenair, Leeds Flying School amongst others. Also I have looked into Ormond Beach Aviation as an option, and have also thought about FTE or OAT for intergrated altho money is a major factor for the latter.

Basically I was wondering what your opionions are, whether it be flying UK/US/Spain, Integrated/Modular etc etc.

Really appreciate any help, and sorry if this thread is a bit too specifc.

-Shakuri

captain_rossco
22nd Jul 2007, 08:56
Yep, get out to OBA and get your PPL put the way, its fast, its cheap and you'll enjoy your damn self!

Re-Heat
22nd Jul 2007, 14:24
Ignore all advice on here to go to x or y school, and go where you feel most comfortable and can work best. That includes the integrated schools (FTE, CTC, Cabair, OAT) - take a look at all potentials before deciding.

Consider PPL and GAPAN tests first to ensure you are capable.

Shakuri
24th Jul 2007, 10:52
Thanks for the advice, I have come to the conclusion that integrated isn't an option, the onyl way i could get a loan is to secure it on my parents house, and that isn't going to happen, shame as I like the look of FTE. I think my best option is Ravenair or perhaps go to OBA.

TheoAD
24th Jul 2007, 13:01
If you want more info on Ravenair then PM me. :ok:

Re-Heat
24th Jul 2007, 17:37
There is always CTC Wings to consider, and there are many other schools in the country that may or may not better suit your needs - don't simply go for the one closest to you until you have checked out a few.

sps1013
24th Jul 2007, 20:57
Take my advice as an instructor, go where you feel comfortable. Perhaps visit, have a few trial lessons at a few places and get the feel before parting with cash.

Modular is a good way as you can earn and pay out so to speak!

With regard to overseas, I (and this is my honest opinion, so no talk of slander!) have experienced many people who come back from these "vending machines" overseas and they have a licence but cannot aviate. We seem to spend anywhere between 2-10 hours getting them upto speed with UK legislation and procesdures. If you wish to budget for this then fine but bear that in mind.

Finally, GOOD LUCK!