PDA

View Full Version : Harrier parking problem in Malta?

SWBKCB
21st Jul 2007, 20:27
Ooops!?

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=650902

Double Zero
21st Jul 2007, 21:36
Parking Breaks ???

I'm sure the hard-worked guys deserve them...can't see any snag from the photo, maybe needed a 'before' & 'after'.

A2QFI
21st Jul 2007, 21:44
I suppose it depends what you mean by 'incredible'! Doesn't look very marvellous to me!

charliegolf
21st Jul 2007, 22:56
You clearly haven't been to malta lately.:}

CG

Double Zero
21st Jul 2007, 23:25
So does that mean snail racing and paint drying pass for Formula 1 in Malta, or what ?!

Perhaps the photo' was taken at a very high shutter speed ( and depth of field ? ) , and the Harrier was rolling at 500mph backwards carving a swathe of terror...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd Jul 2007, 00:07
Wait a minute, shouldn't this photo be classified top secret? After all if you look closely, you can see the secret mechanism used for performing the vertical take off :=

Double Zero
22nd Jul 2007, 00:12
Curses !

I thought we'd got over that trouble after making Thunderbirds !

Those bl**dy photo editors are for the high jump I can tell you...

PPRuNeUser0211
22nd Jul 2007, 00:46
Maybe the problem is the gulfstream about to roll into the fire truck?

Double Zero
22nd Jul 2007, 02:09
The aforementioned high shutter speed hides the fact the fire truck is doing 130 MPH to get out of the Gulfstream's path.

Caspian237
22nd Jul 2007, 02:34
Hey, I recognize this James Bond film. OMG that's a Soviet SB-9 nuclear torpedo by the car!!

Double Zero
22nd Jul 2007, 09:56
If this was on video we'd be able to see the carnage, people running about with their hair on fire, the fact the Gulfstream's back half was shot off by an SR-71 pinched by a rogue state & reverted back to YF-12-A, necessitating an emergency landing on a trio of flat topped high speed trucks, and the prawn sandwiches in the Harrier have been left in the sun !

Green Flash
22nd Jul 2007, 10:40
Hmm, an unplanned div might explain lack of ground handling (if that is what it was) or is that a party pod I spy on the starboard rail?

Double Zero
22nd Jul 2007, 12:53
I and no doubt others were trying to avoid mention of the gin-bin - doubt it is relevant to a non event, maybe pilot didn't pull brake, maybe chocks were'nt put in - or at least soon enough, Harriers are not known for great brakes for various reasons.

Now you've taken the fun out of it...no-one hurt & the reports of damage to the aircraft seem doubtful -

Try the image of a Harrier in early days breaking free from the engine run pen at full chat, with a Rolls Royce chap on board wearing shirtsleeves & no escape gear, carrying on across the grass until the noseleg broke - now that's an event !

Green Flash
22nd Jul 2007, 13:03

Er, sorry! :O That explains the Omega parked outside (with a pod on the roofrack ....)

Got any links to the runaway Harrier?

Double Zero
22nd Jul 2007, 15:16
Green Flash,

Sorry I don't have the pics' - they were all in our photo' files, so supposedly went to Hendon/ IWM, though I have a nasty feeling they and a lot of other files are in someone I 'know's' garage...

Can promise it did happen though, having seen the photo's - it was an early GR1 or quite possibly P1127, can't remember the photo's that clearly -couldn't help wondering what the RR chap ( name & emotions unrecorded ) felt as he bounded across the grass...

As it was before my day I don't know if the pen doors were fitted, presume they weren't or would have been closed; possibly better to let it roam !

Later, in my day I photographed what seemed the largest mobile crane in the world doing stress testing via load cells when the pen was routinely refurbished, the lesson had been truly learned & the chains used would have held a battleship.

lj101
22nd Jul 2007, 19:33
Planned nightstop for 4 x Harriers. Parking brakes were applied but handling agent failed to chock the aircraft as requested and promised.
A few short hours later one of the jets began to slowly roll backwards and the poor maltese soldier guarding the jets made frantic calls for help as it began its adventure down a slight incline. Crunch.
Handling agents arrive
Rest of the aircraft chocked
4 Harrier pilots arrive hoping its not the one they signed for in the grass.
3 'glad it wasn't my jet' Harrier pilots fly home.
Within 8 hours the Jet had been assessed for damaged and is now awaiting spares.
End of story

Green Flash
22nd Jul 2007, 19:52

believe you allright. Reminds me of the Lightning JEngO! Some of the things we got away with in the the good old bad old days, eh?

GR9
26th Jul 2007, 18:40
Now the thing here chaps is this. Who is responsible for the incident? , the Malteese handling crews OR the captain that signed for the Aircraft & was a bit eager to "get on it" in town????? So thought they'd trust the word of the local lineys:=

vecvechookattack
26th Jul 2007, 20:24
I heard a tale the other day that when embarked in a CVS the Harriers won't fly unless there is a diversion available....I couldn't believe that it was true but my mate assured me it was gen.... can anyone expand further?

BootFlap
26th Jul 2007, 22:48
VVCH,

your mate is incorrect. Hope this clarifies your predicament.

99redballoons
27th Jul 2007, 06:27
VVCH, Interesting question; however, I would suggest the link to this thread is tenuous.

SixOfTheBest
27th Jul 2007, 11:57
GR9,

Why don't you wait for the facts before starting to point fingers and 'charging' the pilots! Last time I checked, that was the professional approach to incidents like this...........

GR9
31st Jul 2007, 11:03
Dear Six of the best

The facts are this:

Jet was the responsability of the Captain.

Jet was parked on a hardstanding with a slight incline.

Jet was left without chocks fitted.

Jet rolled off the hardstanding some distance and came to rest after striking a metal post.

They my friend are the facts!!!

But you are absolutely correct we should wait for the findings of the Board of Inquiry.

I'm sure that Curly, Larry & Mo will return with a plethora of possibilities as to how this occured.

We will have to see.