PDA

View Full Version : Sounds in Cabin after Take Off

JonF
21st Jul 2007, 13:03
Just a small query, on numerous flights i've taken a minute or two after taking off there are two 'bings' which sound in the cabin. Similar to noise when someone presses 'call attendent' button. I assume it is not someone pressing this button as i've heard sound on numerous flights. What do these 'bings' signify??

flyblue
21st Jul 2007, 14:19
They are signals for the CC, that may vary from airline to airline. Generally the first bing(s) signal the retraction of the landing gear, and the second the "safe to go around" for CC.

JonF
21st Jul 2007, 14:37
why would cc need notifying landing gear retracted? and what do you mean by safe to go around? Safe to move round cabin??

BOAC
21st Jul 2007, 15:29
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259895

Some airlines signal the crew when flap retraction is complete (assuming no emergency) and therefore they can commence service in the cabin. With an engine failure etc, it is less than useful to have trolleys etc coming out in the cabin.:)

Note the info an the 'auto' setting in the link.

JonF
21st Jul 2007, 15:58
Thanks for the link BOAC, I really should learn to search better!:ok:

HKPAX
22nd Jul 2007, 01:32
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147096
I asked the same thing a good while back - different airlines have different procedures but the gongs have a purpose! It seems that the first gong after take-off may be related to smoking regs and it is not worth changing the thing that makes the gong go.

ladyflyby
22nd Jul 2007, 16:15
When the landing gear retracts after take off, the bing is the emergency lights round the exits.

RossEA
22nd Jul 2007, 18:17
I must say as a passenger on all my flights this has happened. On one particular flight, passengers themselves mistook this for the seatbelt sign being switched off, so after hearing the first 'ding' i heard many passengers un-clip their seatbelts - and also the cabin crew, and then an announcement shortly followed to remind passengers the fasten seatbelt sign still was on - so from this, along with an educated guess its probably some sort of notification to the cabin crew to let them know its safe to get out of their seats.

Eboy
23rd Jul 2007, 10:50
Flying United a lot I always thought the sound was associated with it being OK to turn on or off portable electronic devices (CD players, Gameboys, etc. Not cell phones.) (Because the aircraft is 10000 feet high, or something.) A few times I have heard flight attendants say before takeoff to keep devices off until you hear the "indicator." When it sounds, they will sometimes announce again that it is OK to use electronic devices. It may have other meanings to the flight attendants -- I don't know.

Ropey Pilot
23rd Jul 2007, 22:34
In our airline the cabin crew are free to start their service when they wish.

If we are expecting the possibility turbulence at lower levels we instruct them to remain seated until we give them a 'double ding' (ie I flick the no smoking sign off then on again). Chances are we will be happy for the crew to move around the cabin sooner than the pax. (eg still in cloud with light turbulence but avoided everything on the weather radar)

EGBM
24th Jul 2007, 17:23
I fly bmibaby (737 fleet) quite a bit and I've noticed there is a couple of bongs at the hold which seem to mean "prepare for take-off" as it always precedes taxiing onto the active, then there's another which seems to coincide with the pilot's call to final approach.

I assume these are company-specific, I don't think I've heard the bongs the same on other airlines.

I'm glad I ran into this thread, I've always wondered!

warkman
25th Jul 2007, 08:33
As an aside, WHY do so many pax want to unbuckle their seats belts?
As one who just opens the webbing a bir more but keeps it fastened, (as I was told to many years ago) I never understand this. Would they take off their car seat belt once they were on a motorway? :8

Maude Charlee
25th Jul 2007, 09:07
In my airline, we currently have a verbal announcement to seat the crew for departure, but are shortly going to replace this with a double chime, and we have a chime once safely airbourne which signifies it is safe for the cabin crew to commence the cabin service. Similarly on arrival, we have a verbal caution to take seats for landing but also intend to replace that with a double chime.

WHBM
25th Jul 2007, 09:46
As an aside, WHY do so many pax want to unbuckle their seats belts?
As one who just opens the webbing a bir more but keeps it fastened, (as I was told to many years ago) I never understand this. Would they take off their car seat belt once they were on a motorway? :8
Always surprises me too. When you have travelled a fair bit you will sooner or later have an "experience". Mine was Los Angeles to London, in the cruise overhead the midwest, sudden Clear Air Turbulence. Saw non-belters in front of me hit the ceiling. 11 injured, diverted to Chicago. Now I have always kept my belt connected anyway (as do I suspect the vast majority of PPRuNers) but I bet those fellow pax that day all do so now as well.

PAXboy
25th Jul 2007, 12:06
If I recall correctly, VS give four bings as they start to move onto the active for departure as an indicator for CC. Each carrier has their own code for each phase of flight.

As for Pax releasing seat belt ... they do this at any time and any altitude without any idea, since they have not paid attention to the briefing in the first place. They will probably find that their claim for compensation will be declined as the seat lights were on at the time. The same applies on approach to the gate.

We have oft discussed that topic in here and, whilst carriers need to make pax more aware of injuries, they also have a need not to frighten their pax away. Since it is not possible to get all carriers to give the same warnings, nothing will happen. On the positive side, the numbers injured are low and the accountants need not worry about it. :rolleyes: