PDA

View Full Version : Inter Tropical Front

Jumbo Jockey
24th Sep 2000, 16:27
Quick question from someone who's going to be crossing Africa for the first time soon: Is it usually possible to get around ITF CB's, and what's the furthest you've ever had to deviate off track to do so? Have you ever had occasions when you have to grit your teeth, bear it and just go through?

Thanks.

Bogtrotter
24th Sep 2000, 19:10
If you are thinking of punching through thunderstorms in Africa only one word of advice DONT!!! Wherever you are CB's are to be avoided but in a lot of parts of Africa where the mothers of all CB's live stay on the ground if you aren't able to get around them. Everything you've learnt about the ITCZ and associated CB's is very true.

skyvan
25th Sep 2000, 00:00
We often have to route up to 75nm off track to avoid the associated turbulence. And these cells tower above us when we are at FL390 (in the 747SP).
Don't go near them, and if you divert around them, PLEASE make accurate calls on 126.90

tired
25th Sep 2000, 01:27
Yup, agreed, don't even think about trying to go through an African Cb, we'd hate to read about you in the papers.

This ITCZ is a funny thing - some days you can fly the length of Africa with nary a flash, other times you spend half the flight avoiding. I can confirm Skyvan's comment - I've often been 60 to 70 nm off track going around them.

As far as I'm concerned the radar is a no-go item in Africa - just ask Air France!

Jumbo Jockey
26th Sep 2000, 01:31
Thanks everyone, sounds good to me. Talking to a Virgin girl the other day who was cabin crew on one of their A340s, she reported a very wild ride (yeah, I know - and the flight hit turbulence too, apparently :) ) on the way back from JNB recently, together with a lightning strike. Sounds like maybe somebody else could use such good advice.

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by Jumbo Jockey (edited 25 September 2000).]

tired
27th Sep 2000, 02:02
JJ - don't mean to frighten you squire, but if you fly around Africa long enough you're going to find that there are times when you just can't avoid the turbulence. I've seen line squalls 200 to 300 miles long, where eventually you just have to go through the least threatening bit. When we say "avoid" we mean "avoid the red and yellow bits like the plague" but there will be times when you will just have to go through the green bits because there's no other way. (And believe me, you can get well bounced around in the green bits, and see some spectacular St Elmo's - but it won't kill you.)If you get in this situation, the best advice I can give is to take the shortest route through the green that you can see while staying as far as possible from the upwind cell. If you're penetrating between 2 cells, remember that these things can throw hail out at all altitudes, (and that will ruin your day just as much, if not more than, turbulence - African hail is usually golf-ball size and can be much bigger) so stay as far from the upwind one as you can - conventional wisdom says at least 15nm, though 25nm would be better.

Unfortunately it's difficult to put this sort of advice in writing, you have to go and experience it. Good luck - hope this helps!!

If you like, email me at the address in my profile and I'll try and answer any other questions. I'm away till Friday, so there won't be a reply till the weekend.