PDA

View Full Version : Is the time right?

Yes_man
21st Jul 2007, 08:32
It seems Qantas is currently on a massive recruitment drive and now that I've got my 500 cmd I am wondering whether that is enough to get me through the door. Do they go that low? I have ATPL's, MECIR and a diploma, hopefully that will all help. Any advice would be appreciated as I dont want to miss out on the current recruiting frenzy (QF has been a life long ambission and desperate not to miss out). Does it help if you are willing to pay for endorsements?

Also, any idea on how long it is before a move to FO & Capt.?

neville_nobody
21st Jul 2007, 09:09
Windup :suspect:

RFN
21st Jul 2007, 09:12
Go to Tiger or Jetstar if you want to pay for an endorsement...

Go to QF for a longer term future.

Those hrs are probably enough for the red roo, but a few more req'd for the LCC's.

Time to command! Join a long queue

THE IRON MAIDEN
21st Jul 2007, 10:21
you meet the minimum requirements. why not.

all they can say is no. I dont know what the chances are of getting in but all you can do is try

bushy
21st Jul 2007, 11:01
If the so called shortage exists they should welcome your app;ication.

Erin Brockovich
21st Jul 2007, 11:04
Nice one Yes man. Get back on the piss with your ol mate aircraft and post the windup when you’re sober. :hmm:

Keg
21st Jul 2007, 11:16
You should be very up front about your desire to pay for the endorsement but don't bother telling anyone until the interview because no one cares until that time. When you get into the interview you need to tell them how you'd be prepared to pay for the endorsement and even for the upgrade if it meant less time as a S/O.

I'm sure those people doing the interview will be so impressed that they'll bump someone off the next course to get you on.

Ralph the Bong
21st Jul 2007, 23:46
Yes man,

QF don't require you to pay for endorsements at this stage. It is doubtfully that the issue will arise during the interview. If it does, it will be along the lines of "what do you think of people who pay for endorsements?"

Your 500 hrs command and other quals. are the bare minima for QF. Put in an application and see what happens. It may take some time for you to get an interview. To be frank (and not trying to sound unkind), there will be many other candidates with superior experience who will be given an invite for the psych. test before you. In the interim, keep doing what you are doing; keep up the flying and do what you can to prepare yourself.

Preparation should include improving your aeronautical and industry knowledge and contemplation of interview questions. Get hold of a pyschometric exam book and PRACTICE. Rememeber to enjoy what you are doing now; GA has its good times and these should be valued. The fire in the belly to move on can put a tarnish on what is a significant element of your career.

Good luck.

Dont worry about the ravings of a few ninnies on this forum who are filled with an insane hatred of those at J* and have paid for a type rating. These people see that their career path is being truncated by managers who are shifting a lot of QF flying to the LCC. Keg, et-al, have failed to grasp the shift in Australian employement trends to what is the world wide norm. By blaming 'self-improvers' for their stalled career progress, they reveal both a misunderstanding of the industry dynamics and also their capacity for selfishness.

Towering Q
22nd Jul 2007, 01:21
Rememeber to enjoy what you are doing now; GA has its good times and these should be valued. The fire in the belly to move on can put a tarnish on what is a significant element of your career.

Well said that man.

OneDotLow
22nd Jul 2007, 04:42
Quoting Ralph The Bong :
"By blaming 'self-improvers' for their stalled career progress, they reveal both a misunderstanding of the industry dynamics and also their capacity for selfishness."

What sort of drugs are you on Ralph?

'Self-improvers' - Is that what you call someone who pays to fly ICUS, rather than getting the job through merit? Have you ever told anyone not to work for free? Somehow I suspect not...

'capacity for selfishness' - Surely it is he who jumps the queue by buying themselves a job (I have absolutely nothing against those who had no other option and had already tried the other airlines) that displays the capacity for selfishness.

You sir, are one of the few that drag your Jetstar bretheren down. For the most part, and I know quite a few of these guys, they are level headed good blokes. It is attitudes like yours that hold back progress... until people like you smarten up we will always be divided and as such we will be conquered.

Pull your head in!!!

swab
26th Jul 2007, 05:40
With respect, maate, the fish are bitin'.

CUB
26th Jul 2007, 11:50
To get a job with QF you will have to pass a verbal reasoning exercise. Its spelt AMBITION not "AMBISSION". Maybe you should apply to an airline that doesn't require passes in Year 12 !