PDA

View Full Version : First Of SIA's Airbus A380s Takes Off.

airsupport
21st Jul 2007, 02:59
The first A380 for SIA (msn 003), slated for delivery to them in October, takes off from Airbus Hamburg after painting and fitting out, bound for final checks at Airbus Toulouse.
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1378/msn003takeoff1fq3.jpg
Will be a familiar sight in Australia and NZ by year's end................

lowerlobe
21st Jul 2007, 03:54
It looks like SIA is happy with their livery but then again the management of SIA is not trying to divert attention either.

Syd eng
21st Jul 2007, 04:02
Gee their Livery makes it look short and Stumpy. Probably a good case for a livery change.

sinala1
21st Jul 2007, 04:05
Gee their Livery makes it look short and Stumpy. Probably a good case for a livery change

Ever had this conversation?

Her - "Honey, do these jeans make my butt look big?"
Him - "No dear, your big butt makes your butt look big - don't blame the jeans"

:E

I think it looked short and stumpy from the beginning

airsupport
21st Jul 2007, 07:14
The overall size of the Aircraft is hard to judge in this photo as there is not much in the photo to compare it to.

It also looks relatively small because of the giant size lettering, they could have made the words a lot smaller.

Buster Hyman
21st Jul 2007, 07:49
Oh. Is that Singapore Airlines? Couldn't quite make it out.:hmm:

Reminds me of the old joke about how people shout slowly at people who don't understand them...
"Do you know the time?"
"Sorry. No understand."
"DO...YOU...KNOW...THE...TIME?"

RedTBar
21st Jul 2007, 08:20
I wonder if airbus used stapling ......

The Mr Fixit
21st Jul 2007, 10:43
LMAO

747 lines look good, christ almighty its an ugliest duckling that never turned into a swan.

Ron & Edna Johns
21st Jul 2007, 11:29
Gee their Livery makes it look short and Stumpy. Probably a good case for a livery change.

Interesting you should say that, given rumblings about QF changing livery. I've always considered the existing QF livery makes its aircraft look shorter and stumpier: because the red on the tail extends down onto the fuselage it creates an optical illusion that the tail fin is larger than it is. That in turn creates the illusion that the fuselage is shorter. If you looked at airborne UA or BA 747's in their old grey liveries they always appeared long and large when compared to a QF 747. IMHO.

And maybe is is PRECISELY why someone in QF is reconsidering the red tail/fuselage combo - because QF A380's will look REALLY stumpy?

Having said all that, I do like the existing scheme and don't want to see it change.

gaunty
21st Jul 2007, 15:21
Can't imagine why they would even think about a livery change.

It's the brand stupid.:ugh::ugh: Coke and all the brand biggies have fiddled around with theirs for years but they come right back to where they started and what the public recognise.
Whoever "they" is obviously bored, they should send him/her off on a course somewhere until the feeling goes away.:p

Boeing understand better than anybody that "looks" are important to the pax and a great marketing tool for ther airline. The new 787 and its Cruiser and Dreamliner forebears hit the spot and the new 747 with that wing looks really sharp. The only Airbus design that floats my boat for "looks" is the A340, the rest look like my fusty old maiden aunt and the A380 looks like Aunty Jack on steroids.:E

The Mr Fixit
21st Jul 2007, 15:32
If it flies well and sells well it'll RIP THE BLOODY ARMS OFF Boeing lol :ok:

Buster Hyman
21st Jul 2007, 15:34
I just realised that SQ have finished the tail livery off in a straight line & not followed the contour of the fuselage...eeuuuoowww.:yuk:

The Hedge
21st Jul 2007, 18:07
I thought it was ugly too until I saw it up close at the Paris Airshow a few weeks ago. Its actually quite nice looking and looked very graceful during the display. Dunno about being a punter in one though.

parabellum
22nd Jul 2007, 12:04
"If it flies well and sells well it'll RIP THE BLOODY ARMS OFF Boeing lol "

Bloody big 'If' there Mr Fixit, Airbus are not even halfway to break even yet. All the arguments have been presented many times before here on PPRuNe but bottom lione, the airlines want a few for niche markets, that is all.

Howard Hughes
23rd Jul 2007, 06:35
The lines just don't have that appeal that a 747 still has after nearly 40 years.
A seat in an aircraft, is a seat in an aircraft, or at least that is the way the punters see it...;)

stillalbatross
23rd Jul 2007, 09:03
Parabellum you may be right but it would appear, as zillions emigrate towards large cities and govts around the world baulk at sticking up airports everywhere the case for bigger aircraft will eventually sell through. Besides, remember when the 707 came out and people were gobsmacked at the size of it, maybe the A380 in 20 years won't seem so big after all. Every city on the face of this planet with over 5 million people is a niche market and there is going to be a lot more of them.

Prettiest Boeing ever was the B-29, it's been all downhill ever since.

ACMS
24th Jul 2007, 03:28
Buster Hyman: I just realised that SQ have finished the tail livery off in a straight line & not followed the contour of the fuselage...eeuuuoowww
They have done the same on their 777-300ER's. The tail looks silly, like your trousers are too short and you can see the white socks!!
Big letters for "SINGAPORE AIRLINES" on the side too.

It looks like they're trying to make the 380 look longer than it is by visually removing the curve of the fuselage under the tail. Or make it look bigger down the back.

Buster Hyman
24th Jul 2007, 04:04
...You might be onto something with the short trousers & white socks....:}

roamingwolf
24th Jul 2007, 04:13
don't forget the sandals just like eurpoean tourists

Buster Hyman
24th Jul 2007, 05:06
"Copy watch for you? Lacoste shirts?...":}

Taildragger67
24th Jul 2007, 08:36
So in First & Raffles the duty free catalogue will be printed on glossy paper and sell the real thing, whilst back in Cattle it'll be stalls down the back, "You want Rolex? Fi'dollar, I give you four for twenty, special plice"...

ScottyDoo
24th Jul 2007, 08:56
velly good coppee, meestuh.

They have done the same on their 777-300ER's. The tail looks silly, like your trousers are too short and you can see the white socks!!

It's a match with their pilots' uniforms.

Taildragger67
24th Jul 2007, 08:59
They should set up a satay club down the back... :E

ScottyDoo
24th Jul 2007, 09:18
or an Asian Rub 'n' Tug.

Muffinman
25th Jul 2007, 01:07
Got offered a foot massage once - didn't realise it was going to be between my feet. Maybe the aircraft config/outfit will be standing room only on the lower level with an 'invitation' to go upstairs to the upper level:E