PDA

View Full Version : Multiple aircraft turning back to SYD today.

ABX
21st Jul 2007, 01:04
Good morning all,

As I look up and see the jet contrails over Albury I see a large number, possibly as many as eight, jets have turned back to Sydney.

The time of my observation was about 1015 hrs EST.

It looks quite unusual to see so many U-turns described in the sky.

Does anyone know the reason for such a large number of jets to turn back?

Cheers,

ABX

Capt Fathom
21st Jul 2007, 01:22
This maybe?

Ymml 202300z 36004kt 0150 Fg 05/05 Q1033 Fm0130 36003kt 1000 Fg Bkn004

Ymml 202230z 36005kt 0400 Fg Bkn001 03/03 Q1033 Nosig

Ymml 202200z 36005kt 0900e 2500 Fg Bkn003 03/02 Q1033 Fm2200 36005kt 0500 Fg

Ymml 202130z 03006kt 5000 Br Vcfg Bkn006 02/01 Q1033 Fm2130 36005kt 0500 Fg

Agent86
21st Jul 2007, 01:24
Just guessing but maybe this :uhoh:
ATIS YMML W 210118
APCH: EXPECT ILS APPROACH
RWY: 16 FOR ARRS. RWY 27 FOR DEPS
OPR INFO: LOW VISIBILITY OPERATIONS IN PROGRESS.
HIAL OPERATING
+ WND: CALM
+ RVR: 900M ON RWY 27 AT 0115Z.
RVR 780M RWY 16 AT 0100Z
WX: FOG
CLD: BKN002
+ TMP: 7
+ QNH: 1033

Ahhh ..beaten to it again.

ABX
21st Jul 2007, 01:40
Yeah, I thought it might have been the wx.

All those U-turns in the sky look good, but I can't work out how to get them from my phone to my computer. When I work that out I'll post them for you to have a look.

ABX
21st Jul 2007, 11:36
The news tonight carried pictures of fog at MEL this morning, along with the voice over, "thousands of passengers and dozens of flights delayed..."

So I guess it was the weather.

I can't transfer the pics of the U-turn contrails to the computer, due to a bad connection, so I guess I wont be making a contribution to the 'More Photos' thread.:sad:

VH-MVL
21st Jul 2007, 12:29
Hi ABX

Hopefully this question doesn't sound too silly. I live in Wagga, and see the contrails in the sky all the time, which look spectacular everytime!

These jets doing U-ies in the sky, would that be visible from here also, or is Wagga/Albury just abit distant in relativity?

Thanks!

frangatang
21st Jul 2007, 20:58
I cant recall if there is autoland capability at mel , but if there is could it be as useless as the one in syd(appears to be cat1 autoland only).If autoland is to be fitted make it useful or dont bother in the first place.

morno
21st Jul 2007, 22:33
Ummmm, that would be because there are no ILSiiis (is that the plural?) installed in Australia, that are capable of enabling aircraft to do Autolands, :ok:.

Australia only has Cat 1 ILS around the traps.... errr, very, err, scattered traps, :suspect:.

morno

John Eacott
21st Jul 2007, 23:00
Most (over YHOT) seemed to be holding, rather than returning to YSSY. Made for some spectacular sights though, with some amazing effects from high alltitude vortices :cool:

ABX
22nd Jul 2007, 01:03
VH-MVL, from Albury the contrails looked to be over Corryong or Hotham as John says, both of these locations are West South West of Albury, and not very high on the horizon when I saw them, so I doubt that you could see the ones I was looking at. You might have seen others on a different track though.

Cheers,

ABX

Bullethead
22nd Jul 2007, 04:21
For info the MEL-SYD southbound track goes from Wollongong then pretty much over Corryong and Eildon Wier while the northound track takes you about 20 kms south east of Albury, then west of Goulburn then to the SY VOR. Wagga is well to the west of both tracks.

Regards,
BH

Capt Wally
22nd Jul 2007, 04:31
.........now the real reason for all the "U" trun shaped contrails or bent ones was the fact that the earth rotates (obviously) and what appears to be bent is in actual fact a straight line, depends on what part of the axis yr standing on). When you do actually see a straight line then that can be explained by the fact that the atmospehere (on those days) has a lot of prismatic effect culminating in an ocular distorted visual deception of almanac proportions, all meaning that if you are thinking otherwise thus far reading this then best you pack up yr 'trainset' & go play with yr Lego blocks:-) *smile* for now yr a real airline pilot, straighten up & fly right !:-)
Did anyone recently notice the upper wind charts (GPWT) ??? (Bus drivers must have) here was a jetstream smack bang across the middle of this great land of ours that showed winds (from the west) of 200kts !...................don't see this too often:-)

Capt Wally :-)

ABX
22nd Jul 2007, 05:43
Gudday Capt Wally,

now the real reason for all the "U" trun shaped contrails or bent ones was the fact that the earth rotates (obviously) and what appears to be bent is in actual fact a straight line...

Not sure if you are taking the piss or not Captain.:confused:

I have no doubt that the phenomenon you described may be accurate, however you have not described what I saw. I even have the proof on my mobile phone, but I can't transfer them to my computer in order to post them here, the bluetooth on my phone and computer is refusing to pair up and make a connection. After an hour of trying yesterday I gave up in disgust!

I had thought that describing the contrails as U shaped - in honour of the U-turn - was a good idea, maybe I was wrong. The contrails were very long, over the horizon in fact, and then had a relatively tight turn back in the direction they originated from, perhaps like a J in my photos.

In any case, what prompted me to start this thread has nothing to do with the curvature of the earth.

Cheers.:ok:

Capt Wally
22nd Jul 2007, 07:14
....sorry ABX it was all meant to be tongue in cheek, as in a "furphy'":-)

Having flown at 40K+ Ft out over the pacific in 'no mans' land I once did a "u" turn (for the interest of mankind where Radar & other planes where non existant) & literally flew thru my own clouds !:-)

Capt Wally......................:)

ABX
22nd Jul 2007, 07:23
You need to put a little :rolleyes: sarcastic icon next to your text to prevent me from getting confused!:sad:

Having flown at 40K+ Ft out over the pacific in 'no mans' land I once did a "u" turn (for the interest of mankind where Radar & other planes where non existant) & literally flew thru my own clouds...

Must have been a few years ago mate. All the pax were asleep then...?:}

Cheers Wal.

John Eacott
22nd Jul 2007, 08:43
Here's one photo taken at Falls Creek, looking NNW showing a series of trails as they dissipate:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o91/jorb59/ski%20forum%20photos/P7210275.jpg

and another a bit later looking more toward the north, but the turns can clearly be seen:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o91/jorb59/ski%20forum%20photos/P7210274.jpg

ABX
22nd Jul 2007, 10:09
John, you must be flying the chopper between Falls and Hotham are you?:ok:

Very nice photos mate, thanks for posting them, I still can't get mine out of my mobile!:ugh:

John Eacott
22nd Jul 2007, 10:18
ABX,

Yes, we're now into the 11th year of shuttling skiers, and it's still a fun job :ok:

DirectAnywhere,

Yes and no: since I had to be taken back to the helicopter for the afternoon's flying by Ski Patrol with a blown knee a few years ago, I'm Strictly Verboten from skiing on flying days. And since the only days I don't fly are those when the weather is too lousy to ski, I don't actually get many days on the slopes :{

ABX
22nd Jul 2007, 10:23
John,

I met you briefly at Dinner Plain one day about 7 years ago, after you landed the chopper there around lunch time one day. We were staying in 'Nutmeg' for the weekend.

Anyway... Mate, you must have the perfect lifestyle, flying ski bunnies all winter and bambi buckets all summer!

You and I have a mutual friend in the RFS.

Cheers.

Capt Wally
23rd Jul 2007, 08:16
........yes ABX you could say the pax where asleep........in fact "the" pax was all but dead !...........you see, medivac job..........not always a fun task.

Capt Wally :-)

John Eacott
24th Jul 2007, 06:09
Another photo, from another avid skier :ok:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1288/881189783_edb06ffc86_o.jpg