AlphaMale
20th Jul 2007, 21:49
naples-air-center.com
flyeft.com
flyoft.com
flyoba.com
aribenaviator.com
flightsafetyacademy.com

Check those out, they are only a handful off my 'bookmark' list. You'll find more schools than that though. Some tend to think adding the costs of converting the FAA to an JAA licence, loss of earnings, flight costs, living costs, accomodation all added into the factor makes the US as cheap as doing it in the UK only you'll get it done quicker in the US.

Horses for courses. I'll be letting my apartment out for 2 years and going to Florida to do my licences. I don't have a wife or kids or any other ties for that matter.

Avia
21st Jul 2007, 09:57
If prize is an issue then it's important to know if you're seeking to obtain both FAA and JAA ATPL. Theres a big prize difference.

I made a budget for a fully integrated Advanced Airline Track at FlightSafety Academy and ended up with a total prize of approx 112.000$ (minus 4-5000$ in travelling expenses). That includes an FAA to JAA conversion program at PTC in Ireland. Without conversion it would more like 77.000$.

Of course, if you have a PPL you'll most likely get a reduction in prize if you choose either an integrated or modular route, no matter what school.

B2N2
22nd Jul 2007, 18:37
Advanced Airline Track at FlightSafety Academy
Had a look at their website for a bit and could not find what this involves.
But zero- FAA CPL ME-IR can be done quite a bit cheaper then $77,000.
From $40K-$50K is more reasonable.

saintexupery
3rd Oct 2007, 16:47
Hi Avia,

I was quoted $77k for the FAA licences but only $15k for the conversion. How comeyou ended up with such a higher price?

I am actually thinking about doing their flight instructor track through their farnborough ctr - I am told I would be the first EU student to do it. Did you consider doing this as well?

Thanks!

davey147
3rd Oct 2007, 17:54
You can convert from FAA to JAA for about £12,000 ($24,000), it would be very difficult to do it for $15k

The ATPL theory would cost $4000
JAA CPL Conversion $2000
JAA IR Conversion $8000
JAA ME Conversion $1000
Plus living and exam fees $4000

The above are approx prices, but you would probably be looking at spending more, also dont forget the MCC, which would be another $4000

FlightSaftey are a good school, but there are schools in the USA that are a lot cheaper, which would leave you more money to convert when you return home.

saintexupery
9th Oct 2007, 13:48
what schools would you look at? Having visited more than a few US schools, flightsafety really stood out I must say

Sid78
9th Oct 2007, 13:59
I'm considering Flight Safety Academy for the ab initio to CFI training. It's got a good reputation and I guess it will stick out on your CV when you apply to the airlines :).

Go for the best if you can afford it!

Sid.

davey147
9th Oct 2007, 17:50
FlightSafety is one of the best in the USA, if you have the money then go with them. I cant really recommend any other flight school in Florida, it depends what you want to do, are you interested in instructing there, if so you will need a J1 visa. There are only a few schools that offer this now, FlightSafety, Delta Connection, Hillsboro (Oregon), Ari Ben. I personally would only train in the USA I were planning on instructing there after.