PDA

View Full Version : excess baggage?

em237
20th Jul 2007, 18:59
I'm just looking for suggestions for the most cost-effective way to move between Edinburgh and Dublin. I'm going in mid-August to work for a few months and thought that getting a cheap flight over would be no problem -- except for the fact that even non-budget airlines only permit one bag, and I have two. Does anyone know a way around this? (Or work for an airline and have connections? ;) ) I can't ship my luggage as I don't yet have an address.
Any ideas would be much appreciated. Cheers,
Emily

lexxity
20th Jul 2007, 19:43
HAve some one ship it on for you afterwards. There are plenty of shippers around. Call the airport and they may be able to recommend some to you.

Vasto1M
21st Jul 2007, 18:48
Even Ryanair will let you check-in two bags, or three. Though you will have to pay to check-in the two bags, £10 each at the airport, and your allowance for both bags combined is still only 15kgs.

em237
21st Jul 2007, 19:22
thanks, I didn't know that. Although I'll still definitely have more than 15kg!!

Middle Seat
22nd Jul 2007, 14:33
I'd be curious to find out if the fees you'd be charged for excess bags by Ryanair or anyone else for that matter would be more than if you were to buy another round trip ticket to go back and get the rest of your stuff after initially settling in. Surely you won't need all 15kg+ at once?

UniFoxOs
22nd Jul 2007, 14:54
It'd be just as easy then to buy two tickets for the same flight to get two baggage allowances - or offer a mate a free day out to carry the other case.

UFO

lexxity
23rd Jul 2007, 11:58
The allowance is per person. If you have two tickets for, say, Mr X and Mrs X and one of them doesn't show then the allowance is only for the person who has travelled. I still think forwarding your luggage on will be cheaper.

slim_slag
23rd Jul 2007, 12:25
Put the bags in the back of a car and take a ferry.

em237
23rd Jul 2007, 17:27
thanks for all the advice... I will probably just end up shipping it; just didn't want to throw the responsibility on one of my friends to do that after I leave. But I suppose that's the simplest way, at this point!

perkin
23rd Jul 2007, 22:21
You might find excess baggage is cheaper than shipping...I looked into this a while ago moving to NL, but perhaps Scotland to Dublin will attract 'domestic' courier rates...Just get the train/car to Holyhead and jump on a fast ferry, simple! Beats flying :)

skydriller
24th Jul 2007, 07:51
I didnt catch initially you were only travelling Edinburgh-Dublin, as such drive and take the ferry - much less hassle!!

...isnt it sad that in todays airline travel environment an aviation board would actually recommend not to fly???