PDA

View Full Version : Oman Air's plans

Panama Jack
20th Jul 2007, 16:23
Should be interesting:

Oman Air sets out initial long-haul fleet plans
By David Kaminski-Morrow

Oman Air intends to introduce nine Airbus A330s by the end of 2011, doubling its fleet size and heavily increasing the airline's capacity as part of a government programme to replace Gulf Air in Muscat.

Oman Air is also to explore the potential for Airbus A350 and Boeing 787 acquisition.

The airline is setting out a five-year plan to develop its fleet and set out business targets after the Omani government's decision to drop its involvement with Gulf Air and invest in its own flag carrier.

Oman Air, whose fleet comprises five Boeing 737-800s and three 737-700s, is to have 10 737s by the end of March 2009. But the carrier's chief executive, Ziad Al-Haremi, says the airline will also have nine A330-300s and -200s by 2011.

"These numbers of aircraft are not the end of it, but merely the beginning," he says, adding that an international consultant will be recruited to develop a 20-year long-term business plan.

"This is where we are heading: the latest aircraft with the latest in-flight entertainment systems. We are going to three-class configurations on some of our future long-haul routes," says Al-Haremi.

"Concurrent with this ambitious growth plan the airline aims to embark on a major restructuring and rebranding initiative."

Oman Air has been seeking aircraft to lease and is expecting to open its first long-haul services, probably to London and Bangkok, by November this year.

Link to the Flight International Article (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/07/16/215467/oman-air-sets-out-initial-long-haul-fleet-plans.html)

fractional
19th Aug 2007, 14:13
19 August 2007. From Times of Oman
MUSCAT - Oman Air has signed an agreement on hiring three Airbuses as part of its new plan to launch direct flights to Europe and the Middle East, in November.
A negotiation team from Oman Air had put in tremendous efforts to seal the agreement in the light of the tough competition for acquiring such planes in the region.
The planes are due to join the Oman Air fleet in October, Oman Air sources told Al Shabiba Arabic daily.
As per the agreement, Oman Air will receive Airbus A330 and A310. The new planes are more spacious and provided with excellent features in both Business and Economy classes.
The A330 can accommodate some 270 passengers. The A330 would fly to European destinations, particularly to London, while the A310 would be put in the Middle East, Bangkok and other sectors, the sources added.
The planes were hired through international companies, said the sources, adding that new terminals would be opened in Riyadh and Jeddah in Saudi Arabia. next month. The Oman Air negotiation team comprised engineers, technicians and representatives of the executive management of the company.

Sal-e
19th Aug 2007, 14:32
God forbid should GF fall over, this would be the only other reason for me to be in the ME. I love this place. Just hope they can match those bold new orders with an equally bold and competent management.

Desert Diner
19th Aug 2007, 14:35
This should be good.

As most of the ME airline expansion plans seem to revolve around linking Europeans to SE Asia by undercutting European and SE Asian airlines, all that is needed is another player to undercut the undercutters.

Outside of London, I can't see how any of their other long range fligths would be profitable.

Farrell
20th Aug 2007, 04:42
The London route will be popular as people are ticked off having to go via another city to get there. Same if I have to go to Europe.

My pet hate is the MCT - DXB short hop and then on to somewhere else. Lufthansa and Swiss do it with KLM going Bahrain, Abu Dhabi and then Amsterdam.

BA flights are reasonable thank god.

Rumour has it that Air France are starting CDG - MCT soon. But again, I'm not sure if it's the via DXB thing.

Bombay HF
20th Aug 2007, 05:24
I don't think i ever did a MCT-LHR-MCT with any more than 100 pax, quite often only 70 to 80. The CDG flights were a total disaster, often with less than 20 pax.

priceless
20th Aug 2007, 09:07
good luck for them .... i wish this time not a newspepper talk

wrightbrother
20th Aug 2007, 11:57
Dont believe what you hear.Long haul plans have been happening since 3 years now where are the aircraft??Omanair will never be anything more then cattle mover.Ever see what the Omani pursors do inflight sit in business class watching movies while the expat crew attend to all the call bells.This is what it means when they say inflight service.The entertainment system probably secondhand bought off Ruwi High Street.Yeah id like to see them go international lets see them find their way to india first in the monsoon then they can talk about crawling to europe.Its thanks to the expats only that they have a safety record.Ask the crew if they wana go fly with camels upfront then tell us.Its been like this for years and not much is going to change ask the guys who are still there.Cheers

priceless
20th Aug 2007, 17:40
Dont believe what you hear.Long haul plans have been happening since 3 years now where are the aircraft??Omanair will never be anything more then cattle mover.Ever see what the Omani pursors do inflight sit in business class watching movies while the expat crew attend to all the call bells.This is what it means when they say inflight service.The entertainment system probably secondhand bought off Ruwi High Street.Yeah id like to see them go international lets see them find their way to india first in the monsoon then they can talk about crawling to europe.Its thanks to the expats only that they have a safety record.Ask the crew if they wana go fly with camels upfront then tell us.Its been like this for years and not much is going to change ask the guys who are still there.Cheers

i dont know what is wrong with you , but you really have big problem with Oman Air . You keep telling lies and informing b:mad:t to everyone .
You know majority of pilots are Omanis and until now its been safe and i hope it continues for ever ,so its not not expat who kept it safe .
The expat crew who works and Omanis dont , BE REAL . I am not with Oman Air but i least dont write s:mad:t like you and i wish them all the best and the crew the best i have worked with , but not the management no

newscaster
20th Aug 2007, 19:07
Are they resuming some former destinations and starting new ones?

behramjee
21st Aug 2007, 01:29
Oman Air will be getting 2 A 332s and 1 A 310-300. The 2 A 332s are currently in Australia being chartered by the Aussie Govt to transport their troops here and there. The aircraft are in charter configuration and will be reconfigured to WY's wishes.

WY will be using the A 332 to LHR and A 310-300 to BKK and some Indian routes.

However for them to get 2 A 332s that means its most likely its going to be a daily same plane service from LHR to BKK via MCT with the 2 A 332s.

WY will also be launching KHI, LHE & ISB nonstop from MCT with the B 738 from this November. This means that GF's flights from MCT to Pakistan will soon come to an end as will its daily unprofitable MCT-LHR service.

Panama Jack
26th Aug 2007, 08:08
It will be interesting how they will connect long-range PAX through their MCT hub. With MCT as a hub for GF, Oman Aviation provided pathetic performance. As a result on-time performance was a disaster and while they had some really sharp employees, as a whole the whole machine just didn't function.

Besides DOH, MCT may well be one of the least attractive non-Saudi places to transit through in the region, given the absence of jet-bridges and even adequate seating for PAX in the terminal building.

fractional
16th Sep 2007, 11:01
Expected stuff. It was LGW few weeks ago. Now it's Saudi Arabia, and many more will come along as it happen with EY when GF was told to go.
Oman Air, the national carrier of the Sultanate of Oman, which is 82 per cent owned by the government, is scheduled to launch its inaugural flight to Riyadh and Jeddah this month. It will be stepping in to fill the gap in the market left by Gulf Air when it stopped flying direct flights to these destinations from Muscat earlier this year.

Lightning Bandicoot
20th Sep 2007, 20:38
Hey pal
were you kicked out of WY for some reason? Why so much of hatred? Take it easy pal and stop frothing. :ugh:

trancada
21st Sep 2007, 00:09
Do you know if this A310 is wet leased from the portuguese HIFLY?

ODMEA
21st Sep 2007, 04:58
I heard that Oman Air will purchase some of Gulf Air's 763's.

DukePhantom
21st Sep 2007, 20:36
ODMEA ... I havent heard that from any reliable source ... however, I have heard that they will Dry Lease A330's and A310's ... not sure of the numbers though ... and the next year we are going to lease some 777 from either Etihad or Emirates ... cant remember which now ...

dcmejodel
27th Sep 2007, 12:02
Hi,
I need your advice..
I never been to M.E. and do not know friends working within OmanAir :confused:
Contracts for first officer on 737NG seems interesting..
Could u give me your feedback about FO with 800hrs on type?
-how is working climate?
-how is airline effeciency?
-how is life for pilots' wife?
Cheers,
A.

FADAC
28th Sep 2007, 00:09
Oman air will never ever become a big airline in this part of the world bcoz they are very good on making there staff hate them. I left that place and alot did , the only thing they know is just talking to the midia and say nothing called the turth :=

yasha6469
28th Sep 2007, 08:22
Heard Omar Air is in desperate need of FO's? Would like some concrete feedback about working for them. Is it a safe airline to work for?

keep_smiling
28th Sep 2007, 10:11
FADAC keep on dreaming
Oman air will never ever become a big airline in this part of the world bcoz they are very good on making there staff hate them. I left that place and alot did , the only thing they know is just talking to the midia and say nothing called the turth

with an attitude like this i wonder how u r doing with ur new job.. as GF is a big airline, OmanAir will b a big airline one day...
Pilots r in & out of airlines all the time... thats the aviation life...
u will never find the prefect place to work..

oxide
28th Sep 2007, 15:55
Not to mention the spelling and grammar. No wonder.

dcmejodel
28th Sep 2007, 16:35
OmanAir

-how is working climate?
-how is airline effeciency?
-how is life for pilots' wife? (europeen people)

thanks

priceless
28th Sep 2007, 16:41
yasha6469 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=154630) ......what do you mean by asking is it safe to work them ????

FADAC
28th Sep 2007, 17:37
I wonder both of you ( keep smiling AND oxidi ) or what ever your name is . Do you guys work there ? you both think that it's wooooow there but it's all about being from 1 K....:yuk::yuk::yuk:

No longer ATC
20th Nov 2007, 08:35
I have heard that the life style for expates in MCT is good that the people are friendly. What does anyone know is first officer Salaries. And what is the chances for expatsto get commands.

chrislikesblue
27th Nov 2007, 22:42
By looking at Oman Air's website i cant manage to find any address for HR or any link for recruitment.Anyone can help?

pretty_girl
15th Dec 2007, 17:32
Hi I am a cabin crew in Oman air now and work here for 3 months it might be a short period but these short period has taugh me about this company maybe there is something more that I never ever expected about...

I have move from my beautiful country to live in the middle east at first I really scared because I didn't know anybody here at all new friends new life...then finally I am here many new things came to my life new people new experiences and new culture...oh I am not Muslim so there were many many things that I have learnt...from this country and from Omani people...

about company there is still a small company need to develop about management urgently if they need to be a professional airline...the way that they threat Cabin crew is pretty good I am still happy but I am not satisfied only about the management here pretty bad I can tell (I can tell from my last experience before becoming a cabin crew) but all of this is just my opinion and this company is talking too much to the multimedia about anything if you have heard this today tomorrow there will be changed...

But all of the thing depemds on you if you are making a decision to come to join here just pack your bag and come...I will be happy alot to have more friends in ( my ) company...

Take care and have a nice day

pretty_girl:)

alraisia
15th Dec 2007, 18:19
All the best with Oman Air,. and believe me you will be very happy in Oman

skygod
15th Dec 2007, 20:09
Hi fellow Aviators,
Oman Air is a nice place to work.Muscat is a great place to live.Gud luck to all considering relocating.

skygod

fractional
8th Jan 2008, 20:26
This thread has been quiet since mid-December last year... What's happening?

kotakota
9th Jan 2008, 05:52
It would help if they replied /emailed once in a while . A few experienced people applied with all the scanned documents required ( quite a business doing all that ) about 5-6 weeks ago and .................zip.
I do know that it has been one holiday / festival after the other since mid December but perhaps they do not need anybody at the moment . Maybe they will recruit as and when they acquire the new aircraft rather than planning ahead.

priceless
9th Jan 2008, 11:38
so they have filled up all the positions .....
GOOD FOR THEM

omanengineer
11th Jan 2008, 17:16
They are waiting for the BOARD Members meeting, so far unknown when that will be. it seems it'll be the end of the road:ugh:

oxide
12th Jan 2008, 05:32
Website says they need Capts. (737) and Female F/O's. I only see female F/O's coming off their aircraft, are the guys that bad?

kotakota
12th Jan 2008, 06:12
I don't know which website you are looking at - I can only find reference to wanting a Fleet Capt for the NG fleet and Female Cabin Crew . Can you point me in the right direction ?
Reason is , I applied for the Fleet Captains job 4 months ago , sent all the horrendous paperwork required etc - not a dickie bird. I then applied for a Line Captains job on NG , sent all the scanned docs required over a month ago , deafening silence !! I have many hours on NGs , line training Captain etc , but no interest.
I have a friend there chasing around the offices - no result !
I do not think they do need Captains at all.
Meanwhile , I have found a better job elsewhere in the Gulf , ans the whole process has taken about 6 weeks !
Pity really , I fancied a few years in Muscat.

Alfa_311933
19th Jan 2008, 04:41
It seems All true Oman Air leased 2 A310's from Hifly of Lisbon with 2 class Configaration ...Aparently they will operate to the Far East (BKK.MNL,etc)

http://www.jetphotos.net/news/index.php?blog=1&title=oman-air-leases-a310-304-cs-tex-from-tap&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

I wish them all the luck

Keep the blue side UP

Alfa :ok:

oxide
19th Jan 2008, 16:24
seen pics of that A310 almost a week ago... Any idea if it's a dry or wet lease?

kotakota, This site: http://www.omanair.aero get's a pop up saying Needs cabin crew and pilots.

Then you click on it at this link: http://www.omanair.aero/wy/general/careers/careers.htm

click on vacancies in the left hand corner. Page 2.

FLT CAPT-B737-08-01/02 - Current B737NG Captain PLC 500 Hours on Type
http://212.72.22.52/careers/rmJobDetailedDisplay.do?id=10116

End of this week, marked as closing date for apps.

kotakota
19th Jan 2008, 17:45
OXIDE ,
Thanks for all that , but if you read it carefully you will see that the ad is for a FLEET Captain ie managerial position . The ref uses the letters FLT to mean fleet not flight.
Anyway , does not matter anymore. My other colleague has also given up and found a job elsewhere ( they rang him twice a week until he signed ! more monet too.That is how to recruit. )
Safe flying
KK

mo787
19th Jan 2008, 18:41
Wish the company all the best, and 2008 a year of achievements :O

priceless
19th Jan 2008, 21:26
so huge salary increase ..... well done

C172s
20th Jan 2008, 08:01
Omanis are probably the friendliest and most accomodating in the middle east. A very down to earth people eager to learn and mix with others unlike the others in the region who use money to do the talking for them.

Like any company new to longhaul, they will have teething problems, but The omanis have owned 25 percent of GF and a fair proportion of them have worked and still work for that airline. Gulf airs licsensing requirements were based on the Omani aviation authorities until now, all of GF's a/c were Omani registered.. (A40-XX). Dont believe me?..check a database online..With the experience of gulf air and good investment they have a good idea on what they are doing.

Muscat and the Rest of Oman are opening up to tourism and i beleive as the country develops, it will have a lot to offer. It is modern and still holds alot of its heritage unlike Dubai for a real Arabian experience. The Landscape is beautiful too with mountains, bays, deep clear sea, wadi s, oasis, deserts, and in the salalah region they have lush green flora/fauna during the indian monsoon seaon. beautiful really. Muscat by night..entertaining too. Food and drink to a high standard.

The future is big and bright..a new destination to be discovered and Oman air will be their carrier.

I live in England, am not Omani, and fly for a British Carrier..I am not from the Omani tourist board...lol.... I have visited oman many times and know people there.

Y'all fly safe now..:cool:

fractional
20th Jan 2008, 14:50
Nice words from C172s. It's all that for a visitor and for those living there a bit detached from the real world.
I always considered Oman a peaceful and beautiful country. There are better. Once you cross that mountain range and you go east or all the way south. Salalah has a different climate from the rest of the Gulf countries. The long coastline is a fantastic good reason for entertainment. It is still a "born free" mentality, safe, open space BBQs anywhere outside the big shots reserved areas.
However, the harmony is not so rosy. There are a little bit of tensions between the local Omanis, the one from Zanzibar and all the other from other countries who lived in Oman for 3 and more generations. The sharing is not so fair and square. The state of affairs will worsen once the present rule goes. Like all of us, we all expire one day. The Sultan does not have an heir apparent and he is also an old-timer. What will happen when he goes? There isn't right now any one being groomed to take over and the gap is there and widening.
Omanis do however have a fantastic advantage versus their neighbours. They already have many Omanis working in low-paid jobs while this is not seen in the same scale elsewhere. They are not the "pure" Omanis off course.
They are however better prepared to run their own destiny.
Oman Air has a big potential of growth. They have to serve the local community. Fly Omanis abroad and the Expats to their original countries for their deserved holidays. How much does this represent? Enough to grow the present fleet. The country is an emerging tourist destination. This will make the fleet grow bigger too. They can also make Oman a 2, 3 or more days tourist stop for through traffic.
The growth is there and guaranteed. They need to learn from the others' mistakes and manage the company rationally with a very strong defined credible policy to make it happen. I do however see the same initial signs I saw elsewhere. They are already reacting emotionally and losing the business focus, and consequently missing the point altogether. I hope I am redundantly wrong.
C172s mentions correctly the immense wealth they gained from being part of GF until recently. There are many other Omanis working with other (mainly Gulf) airlines and they are definitely and asset, but must not set their own recruitment packages. Oman Air will have to probe the job market, evaluate it set an objective and rational recruitment policy instead of falling in the trap of having to fall behind and react stupidly.
I do watch things from a short distance. I quite like going down there once a year to see friends, camping, and fishing, have good BBQs on the beach and sit around the fire for long friendly exchanges until falling sideways (sleep...).
Good luck Oman Air!

ThreadBaron
21st Jan 2008, 18:15
Farrell's wall shows the future. Crave an audience and all will be revealed.

newscaster
22nd Jan 2008, 17:42
I thought they had decided against A310 and gone for 762 instead.

Mr Angry from Purley
26th Jan 2008, 15:40
There were a lot of jobs in Flight Intl this week for Oman, they have disappeared from their web site though, any offers? :\

Lightning Bandicoot
11th Feb 2008, 06:39
The website for WY shows a big window with the caption ' now recruiting Pilots and Cabin Crew'. Their careers page show no vacancies!!! Whats on with these guys at Oman Air.
Any current Pilots flying with them can throw some light on the work conditions and rosters.
Thanks

Farrell
11th Feb 2008, 07:23
Ahhhh yes!

But shhhhhhhhh Threadbaron.....we're not supposed to talk about Oman Air getting the A38......oops! :uhoh: