PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training in Oz

markpodbery
20th Jul 2007, 13:25
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice really!!

I have just come back from travelling in Oz. I went for an informal interview with the Airline Academy of Australia, in Queensland that went well.

I was thinking of doing my CPL there which looks good with ME/IR etc, plus of course there ground studies.

They then said I should come back and do my ATPL's in the UK which is fine. I would then convert my CPL to a JAR one at Bristol for around 8K.

I was then looking at CTC to do there Airline Qualification course, either try to go through selection or pay for it.

Will training in Oz hinder my chances of getting a possible job in Europe??

I am sure there is someone here who has done this!!!?

Thing is to do it in the UK, I would need a loan I guess, which I have read have almost stopped being offered.

Thanks

Mark Podbery

Charlie Foxtrot India
21st Jul 2007, 13:00
My advice is to do the PPL and hour building in Aus, then do the CPL, IR, exams etc in the UK.

Not a lot of point doing those qualifications in Aus if you're not going to use them here, and would have to do much of it again to "convert". So, get up to 175 hours here, then do the rest there. That's the cheapest way.

Good luck!

markpodbery
22nd Jul 2007, 20:32
Hi there,

Thanks for the replies.

Thing is the CPL cost in Oz is 20K which is good I think.

ATPL's here, then conversion is looking like 8K so saving myself lots of money, I just am hoping it will not stop me getting a job back here in the EU, because i trained in Australia.....

Anyone?

Thanks

whiskey1
23rd Jul 2007, 01:47
If you want a JAA licence and want to train in Australia have a look at Western Australian Aviation College. See: http://www.waaviationcollege.com.au/index.asp
Can do your JAA licence directly and no conversion required.

W1

Charlie Foxtrot India
23rd Jul 2007, 04:18
If that is 20K pounds, then it is certainly possible. If you go by the PPL - hour build- upgrade to CPL route. You pay less, and come out with more hours than going to a glossy integrated course which will cost twice as much for less hours. And the amount of time it takes is completely up to you. Plus all previous flying you have done will all count on the upgrade course - not always the case with an integrated course who may only credit you with the minimum requirement for any licence you hold. (eg 40 hours for a PPL)

Anyhow unless you are planning to fly commercially here, for which you will need Aus residency as a minimum, there is no point doing the Aus CPL/IR here as you will need to repeat so much of it back in the EU. Why do all that work and spend all that money twice?

You can do the JAR course here, though some parts of that still have to be done back in the UK, and it is an expensive option, costing about twice what it would cost you to do PPL and hour build here then CPL, IR Exams etc back there at a school of your choice.

wheelnuts
11th Sep 2007, 09:19
I would agree insipient! Everyone seems to want out.
2 CFI's have left and a CGI???
No Met instructor!
Nothing but trouble.
Aircraft are poorly equipped and only a frasca 142 sim.
I wish I had never come.

shilpa
12th Sep 2007, 09:09
Just make sure you dont go to TVSA in Victoria!

Alltheway
16th Nov 2007, 07:34
Hi Wheel Nuts,

I've been accepted onto Western Australia's Integrated ATPL due to commence in January.

Is it WAustralia that you are also referring too re "Poorly Equipped Aircraft" please?