PDA

View Full Version : Work to be had in Africa?

PiLoco
3rd Jun 2000, 09:14
Is SAA or anyone else hiring in Africa? I'm currently in Micronesia flying for a commuter outfit (not in Africa). It's time to move up into the world into a jet

Many thanks.

[This message has been edited by PiLoco (edited 03 June 2000).]

the wizard of auz
6th Jun 2000, 20:25
Can I have your job when you go?. :) :)

skyvan
8th Jun 2000, 01:24
SAA is hiring, but you need to be an SA citizen, with an SA CPL (minimum) just to apply. Of all the countries in Africa, South Africa is probably one of the harder ones to break into.
Good luck in your quest.

PiLoco
8th Jun 2000, 11:05
Thanks, SkyVan. Well, it was worth a shot asking if there's anything there. I'll head back to the U.S. next month to see what I can find; it sounds like a lot of hiring is going on, but it's all moot unless you get a job...

Been flying around the coconuts and sunshine so long I'll look like a real idiot when they put me in a sim...

Skybiter
12th Jun 2000, 14:09
Try Rossair at Lanseria Airport outside Johannesburg. They push 1900s all over Africa and are permanently short of captains.

Chinos
12th Jun 2000, 19:55
Hi Skybiter, any idea where they are currently using the 1900's?
Thanks

Skybiter
14th Jun 2000, 00:58
Nope. Actually somewhere in Central and North Africa, I'm told.

B?
14th Jun 2000, 11:26
Rossair operates 1900's on a DHL contract throughout Wes-Africa with bases in Abijan,Accra,Douala and Libreville. They also operate 1900's on some other contracts in Angola and Kenia.

Good luck!

mutt
16th Jun 2000, 00:15
Not Africa, but its close...

OMAN AIR (DHC-6 Twin Otter First Officer)
PO Box 58, Seeb Airport, Oman
Tel: no calls
Fax: + 00968 510434
Email: none
Web Site: none
Oman Air invites applications from suitably qualified "DHC--6 TWIN OTTER FIRST OFFICER.'' Requirement: ICAO recognised ATPL, minimum total time 1500 hours, minimum of 250 hours on DHC--6 300.'' Interested candidates should forward their CV's Attn: Human Resources Manager.

skyvan
18th Jun 2000, 19:35
For those interested, SAA has published it's provisional Employment Equity plan, which will see over 200 new hires in the next 3 years. The catch is that the want to hire as many affirmative action pilots as possible, so basically any non-white or non-male with a CPL and 1000hrs will probably be employed. Plus the cadet program will be stepped up provide most of the future pilots (not forgetting that they take 4 years to train).
The good news is.......count how many non white or female pilots you know, subtract that from 200, take away about 40 cadets who will be through the system by then, and you still have around 140 jobs for the traditional white male.
So all is not doom and gloom in SA! :)

V1 Rotate
18th Jun 2000, 21:38
Skyvan,
Any chance of getting a hard copy of the SAA Equity plan? It would sure make for interesting reading.
If SAA are openly discriminating against White Males then I for one will not fly with them again if I can help it. My colleagues and I often have to pax up and down between JS and DN in a hurry and go SAA business class. I also go to the US 3 or 4 times a year. I can also discriminate about where I use my goldcard!!
How many of Coleman's regulars might switch if they knew of the discrimination??
V1 Rotate :mad:

skyvan
19th Jun 2000, 22:51
V1, a little difficult to let you have a copy, what with you not listing an email address in your profile. Maybe you could email me ([email protected]) and we can get together to get a copy to you.

Cardinal Puff
23rd Jun 2000, 12:57
I recently heard there may be work available in Lokichoggio in the Southern Sudan. Could any one please give me some more information regarding who I should contact over there, living conditions, salaries, etc.

We drink to the health...

------------------
....FAFA BEANS AND A CHIANTI....

Rafiki
24th Jun 2000, 11:46
Nairobi is the jumping off point for work in Loki. Try Trackmark at Wilson Airport or just ask around. Obtaining a Kenyan ATPL and work permit are the real issues and it's been a while since I was there, so perhaps others reading this thread could offer some advice to this job seeker?
Cheers
Rafiki!