PDA

View Full Version : How to fly in Africa ?

laurentpere
22nd Sep 2000, 14:47
Hi guys,

Is there anybody here who knows how to get a job in Africa for a multi commercial IFR pilot who has a bit more than 500 hours, some good experience on MD80 (on sim only) and who holds a Swiss and an American licence?
Is there any book, an organization or do you get information from mouth to ear?
Thanks for your time?

AMEX
23rd Sep 2000, 22:09
Just pick a country you like, go down there, hang around until someone offers you a job. It can take no time or much longer but generally if you are a good (normal) bloke then it usually works ok. You will have the time of your life. Good luck!!!

Warlock2000
24th Sep 2000, 01:32
.....and its really easy to get an ALTP license.

AMEX
24th Sep 2000, 03:15
so I hear ;)

Speedjeans
26th Sep 2000, 14:17
Well mate,
I'm in Dares Salaam at the mo and I believe the are a few jobs around if you have 500-600 hrs and all you have to do is a small conversion exam i.e. east African Met, Air law and a tiny bit for radios and then a type rating, so come and give it a try?
Good luck
SJ's

AMEX
26th Sep 2000, 15:52
Speedjeans, I remember that couple of years ago there were jobs in Tanzania but the guys were experiencing great difficulties to get a work permit. Think the PA31s were sitting on the ground because the DCA helped with the immigartion people wouldn't allow any foreigner to fly them. The companies were not prepared to let their A/C to be flown by guys who had multiple crashes so nobody was going anywhere. Things have probably changed since but what's the situation now? Thanks mate and have fun

Speedjeans
26th Sep 2000, 16:43
Amex mate,
I have been in country 1 month now and it took me two weeks to get my licence converted.
You should have a 1000hrs but because the DCA etc have not trained any of there own pilots for 7 years the is now a shortage as the airlines are picking up pilots from the small companies etc.
The pay is pants but there are jobs here and operators are willing to pay for work permits.
Anyway I got a pass if that means anything .
Good luck
SJ's

[This message has been edited by Speedjeans (edited 29 September 2000).]

MileHi
27th Sep 2000, 17:55
Carefully, very carefully!

AMEX
27th Sep 2000, 20:28
Thanks Speedjeans. Any chance to fly turbo prop with about 1300 hours TT ? Will get you a beer or 10 one of these days. Have an ok money job at the mo and might be able to get my hands on the Caravan once again on a freelance deal coming soon so I don't know if it worth going back to Africa. Anyway, enjoy your castle/Black label.

laurentpere
28th Sep 2000, 15:06
Hi mates

Thanks for your the pieces of information. Dar es Salaam was the place where I wanted to go. I'll probably be there in January so It'll be a pleasure to share a beer in the local bar. So as far as I understood I just go there with my licences, bribe to pass exams (met, law), check the aircraft and if I am a normal bloke I shouldn't have any problem. Is that correct?
Thanks again!

Speedjeans
29th Sep 2000, 22:45
Mile High,
Good point well made mate!
Cheers SJ's

Rat Catcher
29th Sep 2000, 23:48
laurentpere,
I believe you must live in a place far far away???
WHAT WOULD YOUR LICENCING AUTHORITY SAY TO SUCH A COMMENT???
People such as yourself give the profession a bad name...for those of us who work in this region...do us a favour and stay where you are!!!!!!

smallfry
29th Sep 2000, 23:54
Well said Rat Catcher.
Just because its not Europe people think that they can get away with this sort of thing. Some have but they shouldn't be used as a yard stick. Its a small community, and everyone will know who's done what. With an attitude like that he won't get far with any respectable outfit.

Who?
30th Sep 2000, 02:37
With that attitude, you should be able to get a job at SAA. Want a drivers licence as well?

siggi-Iceland
30th Sep 2000, 18:52
I have one Question.

To whom it may concern.

Me and my mate are going on a job hunting cruise through Kenya, Tanzania and maby Zimbabwe and we have ICAO CPL/IR/ME frozen ATP. 700 TT/300 ME. How difficult is it to convert this licence to a local one, in any of these countries? The real question is, is it easier if I have an FAA Licence, or dont they care if it is FAA or ICAO (Icelandic).

Can anyone give us guidance on this?

Million thanks in advance.

Siggi in Iceland.

AMEX
1st Oct 2000, 16:22
Any licence should do the trick. Seen guys flying "commercially" from Kinshasa with a PPL. Of course there you could buy your 727 rating for $250. Talking about a more civilized place, my mates were from all over the world with all kinds of licences. Best of Luck!

laurentpere
2nd Oct 2000, 14:24
Hey rat catcher!
I think your mail was a bit agressive and I just want to remind you of the reason of what made you agressive.
I asked a question and a few people were nice enough to answer. I don't know Africa and I think it is pretty normal to get information before going there to check. Therefore should I undertand that the information I got in the first place were wrong?
Moreover you tend to judge me as if you knew me. If I did the same thing I would be inclined to think you are not very clever since you state things without knowing... But I rather think that you don't want people coming to a country you like with bad attitude and biased. That's why I wanted information...
Thank you for your time.

AMEX
2nd Oct 2000, 18:14
Yeah give laurentpere a break. If he has the guts to turn up then he s much better than most of the guys who keep on moaning and do nothing about it. I think the advices published on this site were quite right but also vary with the country you chose or the people you meet. Go for it and enjoy the ride

siggi-Iceland
2nd Oct 2000, 18:52
Thanks for your comment AMEX. We are going to start with Kenya and take it from there. Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana are also on our list, if getting the work permit in Kenya is to much hassle. Hell if nobody lets me fly their A/C, then at least I gave it a shot besides I have always wanted to get to know this side of the world. If anybody got some final advice then dont hesitate.

Million thanks

Siggi in Iceland

Rat Catcher
2nd Oct 2000, 21:37
"So as far as I understood I just go there with my licences, bribe to pass exams (met, law), check the aircraft and if I am a normal bloke I shouldn't have any problem. Is that correct?"
laurentpere,
This was your idea on how to go about it..
would you not find it strange if I asked you if this was how I should proceed in your country??

What made me "aggressive" as you say, was your reference to "bribe to pass the exams etc"
the previous posts were accurate, no body mentioned anything about bribery.
My point, perhaps badly made is you should not come with that attitude!
Come and look for a job but with an open mind..not an open wallet!!

B Sousa
5th Oct 2000, 09:57
I dont think I would head into Nairobi with the Attitude posted above. That is a handful of money and prepared to buy a License. ONLY if your on the way out of town and you want to hang something on the wall.
A Little Respect and Courtesey go a long way in Africa. Even though the authorities may be 40 years behind the Wright Brothers, dont forget for a moment they they ARE the AUTHORITY. Should you desire to have problems like you can never imagine just play the arrogant White Boy and see what happens. Bet you wont like it, in fact I'll bet a Tuskers on it.

laurentpere
5th Oct 2000, 16:44
Rat Catcher,

My mistake about bribery. You are right nobody mentionned it... At least on that site! I do apologize if I mentionned it in my reply to you. As far as money is concerned I'm not that kind of guy who shows off but I know you can't be aware of that.
Thank you for being straightforward and I hope you don't blame for telling you you could have been dull!

Chill
9th Oct 2000, 11:33
Hey Rat Catcher, go easy on laurentpere he/she is just gathering information to make a command decision - no harm in that. I thought the reply was more tongue-in-cheek and if someone read through the whole thread and saw Warlock2000's post and AMEX's reply early on (plus other threads on the forum) you can't but help ponder the possibility. No-one was accusing anybody of anything.

------------------
Chill Out.:D

GUSTO
14th Oct 2000, 20:07
Hi Siggi-iceland ,

To get a job here in Africa you need to arrive at the right place ,right time.

Whith your licence you won't have any probs to convert in africa exept in RSA , ZIMBABWE and KENYA ( work permit are also very difficult to get )

If you realy want to get a job in africa send me an e-mail with all your details.

HAPPY HUNTING

GUSTO

------------------