PDA

View Full Version : Merged: New Qantas livery

clint101
19th Jul 2007, 23:11
Is Qantas going to kill flying kangaroo

Author: ANDREW CARSWELL
Publication: The Daily Telegraph (003,Fri 20 Jul 2007)
Edition: 1 - State
THE famed Qantas flying kangaroo may be headed for extinction -- or at the least -- an expensive makeover.

Qantas confirmed rumours it is looking at remodelling one of Australia's most recognisable logos.

``We are always looking to ensure our product and image remain contemporary and relevant,'' a Qantas spokesman said when asked about the change of logo.

``I can't say anything more at this stage.''

The airline would not confirm whether the Flying Kangaroo would keep its place in the revamped branding.

The original kangaroo symbol first appeared on Qantas aircraft in 1944, derived from the Australian one penny coin.

Wings were added to the marsupial three years later, before the current logo was conceived in 1984.

Speculation that the logo would be revamped was rife on industry websites and chatrooms yesterday, with most claiming Qantas would be reluctant to scrap the kangaroo altogether.

Brand expert Richard Sauerman of Brandising said Qantas would be crazy to play with the winning formula.

``I wouldn't change the brand, the one you see when you walk down the street,'' he said.

``Their logo and brand essence -- the Spirit of Australia -- it doesn't get much better than that.''

The Qantas board met yesterday for the first time since the $11.1 billion take over of the airline flopped.

Chief executive Geoff Dixon presented major reconstruction plans to the board, including a move to carve off its fleet of 200 planes into a separate company.

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ The Daily Telegraph ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Tell us your suggestion for a new Qantas logo

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ dailytelegraph.com.au ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Atlas Shrugged
19th Jul 2007, 23:28
http://www.freshwaterslsc.com/images/macquarie_new.gif

Shlonghaul
19th Jul 2007, 23:38
Change the logo of the Flying Kangaroo??!! :ugh: It would be sacrilege to change this symbol which is known and recognised all over the world. Those involved in this appalling attempt should hang their heads in shame. :* :=

It's time for a new board and certainly time for a new CEO.

Atlas :D :D :D Well done!!......we know who's really behind this!! :E

ScottyDoo
19th Jul 2007, 23:38
http://www.rat-bastards.com/images/Rat_Bastards_Logo_Color.jpg

Jawz
19th Jul 2007, 23:47
How About An Orange Star?

Fris B. Fairing
20th Jul 2007, 00:58
Put back the wings.

squawk6969
20th Jul 2007, 01:23
And how about those nice short orange numbers.

Bring back the wings and the uniforms:D

http://a792.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/91/l_e914cc458d31fdd8030d44b27edbc8b7.jpg

Orville
20th Jul 2007, 01:42
Squawk 6969

What a shame our girls don't look like that anymore, most tend to fit the mould of the one pushing the pram in your photo.

Fenwicksgirl
20th Jul 2007, 01:42
http://www.jetstar.com/img/imgLogoJS.gif (http://www.jetstar.com/sg/index.html)

Jabawocky
20th Jul 2007, 02:09
And Ms Glass on the end there is a pretty good sort too. Just proves that over 30 is not too old like some carriers to our north believe!

lowerlobe
20th Jul 2007, 02:19
The Qantas board met yesterday for the first time since the $11.1 billion take over of the airline flopped.......

It has taken this long to meet?

They get paid how much?

Chief executive Geoff Dixon presented major reconstruction plans to the board......

How about a new board for a start and one that understands that QF is not a business that make's mud flaps and has passengers not clients.

Blue Sky Baron
20th Jul 2007, 02:29
Quite frankly, I would have thought Qantas management had far more important issues to attend to than squandering mega bucks on a new "look".

As said previously, someone should hang their head in shame for even considering a change to an icon known worldwide. :ugh:

BSB

BUSH PILOT
20th Jul 2007, 03:20
As they say, if it aint broke, dont fix it

Qantas have one of the best and most recognised logos in the industry (in my humble opinion).Why on earth would they want to change it!:confused::confused::confused:

Buster Hyman
20th Jul 2007, 03:21
Well, if they still insist on the "Spirit of Australia" logo...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40452000/jpg/_40452701_burns203.jpg

hotnhigh
20th Jul 2007, 03:23
Lets see what story we can conjure up to get rid of some of this bad press of late....
Crisis management at its worst....:=

Buster Hyman
20th Jul 2007, 04:30
Is that the one leaning on the pusher???

Howard Hughes
20th Jul 2007, 04:47
Don't call me Shirley... BOOM BOOM.:ok:

Jabawocky
20th Jul 2007, 05:39
Buster HotDog etc.....Karen Glass is the one in the Green uniform not leaning on the pram you ding-a-lings.

And while I do not know her exact age, and nor would I reveal it if I did, but she is in far better shape for her age than most of us would, will or are otherwise going to be!!

J

B A Lert
20th Jul 2007, 06:08
The revisionists are alive and well.:mad::mad:

Talk about a proposed livery change sure takes the public heat off management WRT some of the many structural and deep-seated issues Qantas faces.

Buster Hyman
20th Jul 2007, 06:11
ding-a-lings
I've been insulted by professionals, but you sir have taken it to a new level!:D:D

AND, I might add, if it wasn't for some other ding-a-ling, she probably wouldn't be leaning on that pram!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/spezial/Fool/hmm.gif

Jabawocky
20th Jul 2007, 07:22
Buster....love your work mate!

J:D

Shagtastic
20th Jul 2007, 08:16
Reminiscent of a recently retired British Prime Minister desperate to leave his legacy..

Back Seat Driver
20th Jul 2007, 08:21
The Borgh... has put the kybosh on the 'roo cull.

Going Boeing
20th Jul 2007, 09:30
I heard 2-3 years ago that management were going to introduce the A380 in a new livery. This hasn't recently been thought up as a post APA fiasco fix.

If they have to change the livery, then this is the most economic time to do it - All the B743's, B767's, B734's and most of the B744's will leave the fleet during the transition period so that leaves only B738's and a handfull (9) of B744's to be repainted. All the replacement aircraft will be delivered in the new livery.

Runaway Gun
20th Jul 2007, 09:57
Elle McPherson ala Sports Illustrated type photoscheme gets my vote :)

B A Lert
20th Jul 2007, 10:43
Looking at the colour of the pylons in the photo (link below) of the first 380, I reckon we may be seeing a "special" livery.

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=648148

THE IRON MAIDEN
20th Jul 2007, 10:54
Looks like the tail section is going to stay the same, But Red Engines?

Would look a little like Virgin Atlantic!

Buster Hyman
20th Jul 2007, 12:47
I like the "hush kit" on that East Star A320!:ok:

THE IRON MAIDEN
20th Jul 2007, 13:40
Dont laugh Buster, that "hush kit" is going to be the next cost cutting measure brought in by LCC

OhForSure
20th Jul 2007, 14:31
I understand a 763 is being repainted as I type this. Roo still features apparently. Should be revealed Tuesday. Hopefully its tasteful... recent history has not been kind to new airline liveries. :hmm:

Taildragger67
20th Jul 2007, 14:31
B A Lert,

I may be wrong but that looks to me like it might be some sort of protective plastic coating around the pylons in tha photo... ??

But the tail of the beast would suggest that the initial A380s will be in standard (ie. current) Rat garb. Doesn't take long to respray, though, I guess.

That said, introducing two major new types (some would suggest a third as well... ) very close to each other would, after 23 or so years, be the sort of major change which would prompt a corporate i.d. makeover. The intro of the current skin was in '84 when the 743s came in. I recall from then that all sorts of things were mooted, including name changes, killing off the rodent, etc. and all that happened was that the flying roo became a bigger, walking one.

BA killed off the Speedbird only recently and they seem to be making £££ once again, so a change isn't necessarily the end of the world (except if you're running Air India :eek:). LH, though, still have their flying fork and AA have had the eagle for decades.

Indeed some carriers have stuck with their basic liveries for years with only a few tweaks now & then - eg. AF, KL, AZ (probably not a good example of anything and maybe they just haven't been able to afford to change it :hmm: !) and SIA.

One reason to change it, is that everyone has copied it. AF were pretty much the first with the all-white fuse and graphics on the fin (brought in for Conc but put over the whole fleet); QF were the first with all white fuse but with the fin graphics spilling onto the fuse. Now every man & his dog is doing it. Maybe time to lead off with something else.

And Maiden, I'd suggest that VS had to paint their donks red to avoid being confused with the Rat. Hard to pick'em apart from the ground when they're one after the other established for EGLL.

wateroff
20th Jul 2007, 17:10
How bout just a bath, fleet is looking very 3rd world at the moment ......yay I'm proud ... haha

Chronic Snoozer
20th Jul 2007, 18:52
I guess the straight polished metal look a la Cathay Cargo would be out with all the composites on the A380, but on an aircraft that size it must save a tonne of weight.

lowerlobe
20th Jul 2007, 22:16
A number of car companies are finding that retro looks sell very well and I can see the same would work well for QF.

Then again Darth has shown time and again he does not care about tradition...let's cross our fingers and hope that it is not as bad as his idea of what a LCC would looks good in.

Launchpad McQuack
21st Jul 2007, 01:38
This seems a little 'de ja vu' to me....

Reminds me of the British Airways change in the late 90s'. The CEO Robert Ayling (who gained notoriety through BA's Dirty Tricks campaign against Virgin) who was falling fast from his pedestal came up with a new livery, which diverted a lot of negative press. The results can be summed up by an abrupt statement made by Mrs Thatcher in front of the media when she first saw it..."I demand that it's changed IMMEDIATELY".

The public also denounced the livery, the exercise cost BA 60 million pounds, and Ayling's career slid downhill even faster...

The Qantas livery is simple, striking and very effective. Why change it Geoff???

Oh...I like the slogan I see at the bottom of some prooner's posts :E

FOG

lowerlobe
21st Jul 2007, 02:52
Buster ..That East Star airbus is Darth's latest idea for a better and cheaper (not for the punters though) LCC.

Not only does it have 10 stars instead of just one but as you pointed out a new hush kit.

The idea is simple just like Darth..A QF aircraft will tow the A-320 and therefore the new LCC will not have any fuel costs.This way the legacy airline or parent company will foot all the fuel bills and the LCC will look like a great success.

You have to hand it to Darth..he thinks of everything..

HotDog
21st Jul 2007, 03:05
Jabawocky, Buster HotDog etc.....Karen Glass is the one in the Green uniform not leaning on the pram you ding-a-lings.
Ms. Glass is the one I was refering to. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Buster Hyman
21st Jul 2007, 07:52
Almost right Lowerlobe...the tug would be outsourced and, if they wanted to keep Geoff happy, they'd have to provide a quick tug...

BOOM! BOOM!
http://re3.mm-a7.yimg.com/image/3756630091

capson
21st Jul 2007, 07:52
Here are few ideas on the new livery...:):)
http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/search/photo_search.php?id=00005589
http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/search/photo_search.php?id=00005739
http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/search/photo_search.php?id=00005740

Buster Hyman
21st Jul 2007, 07:54
1. zzzz
2. Busy
3. Busy.

Nice attempts though.:ok:

Fris B. Fairing
22nd Jul 2007, 03:07
Probably too late for a wish list, but please ...
1. Keep the roo but put the wings back.
2. Ditch the milk bottle look.
3. On the 744s put the aircraft name on the nose where it belongs.

neville_nobody
22nd Jul 2007, 03:33
With a brand name as strong as Qantas why the hell would you want to rebrand/paint the airline? Unless you are trying to distract everyone from what your real agenda is.

They are talking about setting up different companies to own the aircraft, so they are no longer "Qantas" aircraft, who one would guess are no longer going to be requiring "Qantas crew" to fly them.:hmm:

lowerlobe
22nd Jul 2007, 03:41
Neville you're right as this smacks of a claytons takeover with the original management doing the same thing that APA wanted.

Once another company owns the aircraft and then another owns maintenance and another QF holidays and so on until the same end result as APA wanted.

This is the Wall st shuffle with moving titles from one office to another.

neville_nobody
22nd Jul 2007, 03:56
I am of the understanding that the ultimate goal is to have QF as a brand name only then everyone else is just a sub contractor to that brand aka Wal-Mart. It's also how BHP and Rio work too, however they are not in a service industry. That way Geoff won't have to worry about things like staff, safety manangement, maintenance etc as that is all the sub contractors problem. If they can't get the job done then you just get a new contractor. That way you outsource it all to the cheapest bidder. It's already happening in IT, mining and oil are going that way too.

It's all good in theory until they crash one and people lose confidence in your airline.

Animalclub
22nd Jul 2007, 04:11
Didn't an American Airline's or Continental's CEO state that the ideal airline was one that didn't own any aircraft?

woftam
22nd Jul 2007, 04:31
The more things change............................................:bored:

Didn't BA have a HUGE PR bungle with the "clever" no brand tail fiasco?

When will these clowns in charge of a once great airline learn !!!!!!! :ugh:

QF had the Roo and it's proud Engineering record as the cornerstones of it's appeal.

Are these people REALLY that stupid? :mad:

Spanner Turner
22nd Jul 2007, 08:40
Latest aircraft to be painted is 767 VH-OGD. It is at Richmond where the rats have been painted for some time (767's that is). It is scheduled to be ferried from Rich to Syd tonight. Arrival around 2130. What will it look like??

assasin8
22nd Jul 2007, 11:11
I know, I know... How about a kangaroo with (orange) stars circling its head ( just like in the cartoons, when a character gets hit on the head!)???
:ouch:

ReverseThruster
22nd Jul 2007, 13:24
Just saw the livery tonight over at the Qantas Jetbase in Sydney. The logo looks like a pregnant roadkill wallaby - fatter, shorter than today's kangaroo. It's still on a red background of course.

QANTAS is still written on the forward section - but its almost like an oriental type script with italics leaning rearwards - with Spirit of Australia next to it.

a Fat wallaby - a livery change for the sake of a livery change? The Qantas logo text is just as crass - imagine how much money the company will spend on changing over all the stationery, marketing, communications etc etc

Not Happy Geoff!

Buster Hyman
22nd Jul 2007, 21:33
So its not this one then?

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/images/qantas777st_title.jpg

Shlonghaul
22nd Jul 2007, 22:53
Just saw the new logo :hmm:......Crikey the Roo looks like it's trying to have a dump............all over GD!! :E

Launchpad McQuack
22nd Jul 2007, 23:28
I'll be interested to see the media & shareholder's reactions....:eek:

Ultralights
22nd Jul 2007, 23:42
there has to be pics soon!

IAW
23rd Jul 2007, 02:39
By the sounds of it we'll be calling it Fat Rat instead of Red Rat from now on.

flying_inverted
23rd Jul 2007, 03:47
Quick search found this:http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=39728

roamingwolf
23rd Jul 2007, 04:20
"By the sounds of it we'll be calling it Fat Rat instead of Red Rat from now on"

knowing our boss maybe it's a pregnant roo

sinala1
23rd Jul 2007, 05:29
http://www.jetphotos.net/user-uploads/newlogo.jpg

From another forum... apparently spilled on morning TV

Ultralights
23rd Jul 2007, 05:54
hmmm not impressed.. looks like a retro step to me.

flitegirl
23rd Jul 2007, 05:59
mmmm, that leg makes it look a bit "cartoon-like"

B A Lert
23rd Jul 2007, 06:02
How bloody ridiculous! :yuk::yuk: Animals that are so deformed are usually put down. Is this going to be GD's last attempt?

sinala1
23rd Jul 2007, 06:06
http://rowlandsoffice.typepad.com/weblog/images/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Sums it up quite nicely, really

:E

lucky7
23rd Jul 2007, 06:10
It looks more high speed but come to think of it, it looks more like those tribal tattoos..:)

Swanie
23rd Jul 2007, 06:52
half it's tail's missing...
:ugh:

Buster Hyman
23rd Jul 2007, 06:57
"What's that Skip?...You think its crap?":eek:

Taildragger67
23rd Jul 2007, 08:33
Wonder how many gazillions it took for some genius marketing luvvie to come up with that :mad: marvel... :hmm: :ugh:

It's called 'double-entry book-cooking' - we pay someone, say, $1m to come up with something which isn't really that far from what's already there, then claim a successful launch of the 'new' brand, and give ourselves a $1m bonus. So the shareholders get f:mad:d twice. Hence the 'double-entry' bit.

Howard Hughes
23rd Jul 2007, 08:59
That pic looks like it's on an orange background!:eek:

RedTBar
23rd Jul 2007, 10:11
Darth is to Qantas what Chris Bangle is to BMW...:yuk:

THE IRON MAIDEN
23rd Jul 2007, 10:19
Now taking bets on when GD gets shafted?

dates anyone?

Im going to start; 1st December.

swamp monkey
23rd Jul 2007, 10:47
http://www.greatgiantpineapple.com/image/ggpc.jpg

Taildragger67
23rd Jul 2007, 11:10
The big question:

What's the f:mad:g point?

Anyone got a white hanky to put over the model at the launch?!

Tempo
23rd Jul 2007, 12:20
It looks much better....more defined....

I wonder if the company copped this much crap when they removed the wings from the kangaroo.....

Launchpad McQuack
23rd Jul 2007, 12:28
More defined?!

Taking the wings off I can understand, but this just looks like an overweight version of the current rat...

The current rat looks much more graceful on the red tail.

No offence Tempo, just how I see it at this end :uhoh:

"If it ain't broken....."

LP :hmm:

Taildragger67
23rd Jul 2007, 16:32
If I saw a marsupial with its back leg bent like that, I'd shoot it to put it out of its misery.

So what they're saying is this: the spirit of Australia is now no elegance, a fat ar5e and shorter legs.

Yeah goodonya, just the messages we want to send. :ok:

RedTBar
23rd Jul 2007, 20:53
Mr Moderator,

Is it possible to conduct a poll on pprune on the question of "Do you like the new QF Kangaroo"

1279shp
23rd Jul 2007, 21:26
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/ffximage/qantas_logo_copy_wideweb__470x257,2.jpg

Fliegenmong
23rd Jul 2007, 23:22
BH wrote -

"What's that Skip?...You think its crap?"

..........:D.priceless

WynSock
23rd Jul 2007, 23:31
A witch with a deformed nose having a cackle.

Perhaps the creator took 'graphix' in high school because art was a bit tricky.

Whats with the thick ankles and the clumsy feet?
It has lost it's proportion and balance.

Looks like it might trip over, it certainly won't fly...

DeafStar
23rd Jul 2007, 23:51
I think it looks good. The feet not spearing through the tail looks better. I too would love to have seen the wings come back however I'm glad there are no stars. j*s to be exact.

Atlas Shrugged
23rd Jul 2007, 23:53
If you turn it on its side it looks like a genie's lamp :\

Buster Hyman
24th Jul 2007, 00:59
If you turn it on its side, it looks like roadkill.:E

Torqueman
24th Jul 2007, 01:44
Who cares? Some comercial tosser has come up with the idea to revamp the Qantas brand. They're all probably patting themselves on the back about it.

It's all wrong to me.

It should be an Emu with it's head buried in the sand. Or up it's own @rse. That pretty much sums up the management who run it. :mad:

Dogimed
24th Jul 2007, 02:14
Mr Dyer questioned why Qantas would waste up to $100 million changing the logo on its fleet for what he described as an inelegant design. "Jesus Christ, there is nothing stylish about that kangaroo whatsoever," he said. "If you only knew how long it took us to get that whole thing worked originally.

"What do I think of it? What is it?"

Comments from the bloke who revamped the 1984 one.

Dog

Launchpad McQuack
24th Jul 2007, 02:31
Buster, Torqueman :}...thanks guys, I really needed a laugh today :D

LP :E

Like This - Do That
24th Jul 2007, 03:45
Still not a pinch on the B707 XBA scheme .... if they're going to waste shareholders' coin on repainting then how about a couple of 'retro' jets à la American, Mexicana, USAir and Avianca?

Wouldn't a 738 look nice in the XBA scheme or similar?

Buster Hyman
24th Jul 2007, 05:13
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/07/24/QantasLogos,0.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/07/24/200QantasNewLogo,0.jpg

Apparently, this one just missed out...

http://www.genericdomain.net/~ddl/oz/images/mardigras/qantas.jpg

1279shp
24th Jul 2007, 05:30
IT seems darker? Don't know about that font in the new QANTAS!
I hate to admit that I actually quite like it.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/07/24/QantasLogos,1.jpg

On the subject of airline logo/scheme changes. Where the hang is Air NZ's all new scheme that was trumpeted about a year ago?? I have a pic somewhere... :cool:

"A redesigned logo was unveiled on March 21, 2006. The new logo will be progressively introduced over the next year in all advertising, signage and stationery and on planes."

chemical alli
24th Jul 2007, 05:33
how many millions of dollars does a logo change cost? .stationary ,uniforms ,ticketing ,etc coca cola havent changed theirs in 100 years and are still in business

chemical alli
24th Jul 2007, 05:39
should of brought back the v jet logo for fannus , oh sorry is that for annus horribulus

bring back the wings and the management that went with them

lowerlobe
24th Jul 2007, 05:40
Personally,I don't like the new logo and think it was probably approved by the same person who approved of the plastic fantastic amenity kits,picnic pack cutlery and crockery.

Then again they also designed J* so at least they're consistent.

I hope someone at the next meeting asks how much this cost..

1279shp
24th Jul 2007, 05:49
Cost 60 millions pound for rollout!!!:eek:

Remember on the debut, Dame Margaret Thatcher threw her hanky over it and said, "We fly the British flag, not these awful things!"

Here's an idea! Dame MArgaret Jackson might do similar for the new Roo!! :ok:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/57/Koguty_Lowickie.jpg/105px-Koguty_Lowickie.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4e/Waterdreaming.jpg/120px-Waterdreaming.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c6/Wavescity.jpg/120px-Wavescity.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/Ethnic.ba.b767.chelsearose.arp.jpg/120px-
The last was actually quite neat .

In the end they went with one similar to the Chatham Dockyard fin.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9b/ChathamDockyardUnionFlag.jpg/120px-

D.Lamination
24th Jul 2007, 05:50
From the QF Website::8
New logo takes Qantas into the A380 era Latest News
Sydney, 24 July 2007
Qantas today unveiled a new interpretation of its iconic logo, the flying kangaroo.
Qantas Executive General Manager John Borghetti said the time was right for a new adaptation of the airline's logo, in keeping with Qantas' increasing focus on contemporary design for its in-flight and on-the-ground products.
"This move also reflects the changing structure of our new aircraft - for example, the shape of our new kangaroo is a great fit for the tail of the A380 and other new generation aircraft," Mr Borghetti said.
"We will also be progressively rolling out the new branding across the airline in the lead up to the delivery of the first A380 in August 2008," he said.
The first of the airline's fleet to carry the new logo and livery - a Boeing 767 operating domestic services - was rolled out today.
"The differences are subtle but distinctive, in keeping with the gradual evolution of the logo since it first appeared on one of our aircraft in 1944," Mr Borghetti said.
"Our new flying kangaroo is sleeker and more contoured than the current version - a modern take on a design that has stood the test of time."
Creative and Managing Director of Hulsbosch Communications, Hans Hulsbosch, who designed the new look, said the evolution of such an iconic brand was both a challenge and a responsibility.
"The Qantas logo is one of the most recognised symbols of Australia in the world, with a strength that has been built over many years. We took great care to carry this legacy into the new design, but also gave it a very contemporary flavour with more organic, flowing lines, and a typeface created exclusively for Qantas that is crafted to match the curves of the kangaroo," he said.
"The result is a look that retains Qantas' long association with the qualities of Australia - natural, free-spirited and confident - but that complements the ultra modern look of the new aircraft, onboard product and interiors."
The Qantas kangaroo logo first appeared in 1944, when the kangaroo from the Australian one-penny coin was adapted and painted beneath the cockpit of Qantas' first Liberator aircraft. The logo has been revised four times since - in 1947, 1968, 1984 and 2007.
:{

VH-Cheer Up
24th Jul 2007, 06:21
Chemical Alli said:how many millions of dollars does a logo change cost? .stationary ,uniforms ,ticketing ,etc coca cola havent changed theirs in 100 years and are still in business

YES, but Coca-Cola did come up with a major and unpopular product rejig (New Coke), and a new, shorter catchy name (Coke), some gay stuff (Vanilla Coke) and a lot of packaging changes.

...Oh, right, yeah, JetStar, forget it.

Howard Hughes
24th Jul 2007, 07:25
So from now on Jetstar will be known as 'Caffeine free Diet Qantas?;)

lowerlobe
24th Jul 2007, 07:31
Or..........Qantas Free...that is services free from Qantas

ScottyDoo
24th Jul 2007, 08:33
...or QantasFree - flights free from service. Any longhaul flight...! :p

This was a golden opportunity for the rat to fix their decades-long typo and put the 'u' back into Quantas.

flying_inverted
24th Jul 2007, 08:42
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5580463,00.jpg
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Chadzat
24th Jul 2007, 08:49
I don't mind the 'roo, but that font is a bit too asian italics for me. (no offense to any asian prooners)

I like many others look at the 'old' logo with writing and see absolutely nothing wrong with it. If you are going to change something- you may as well make a decent go of it, not just a nip here and a tuck there. Go the full hog!

VH-Cheer Up
24th Jul 2007, 09:08
They've shot this out to FFs

http://www.qantas.com.au/flash/miniSites/milestones/index.html

Note how interactive it is - every element does something when you mouse over it. Love the Alf Garnett TVC running on the telly!

ScottyDoo
24th Jul 2007, 09:15
Millions of $$$ paid to some advertising house full of d**g-punchers whose final offering is something almost identical to the original... :rolleyes:

What a joke!

flying_inverted
24th Jul 2007, 09:41
On the subject of airline logo/scheme changes. Where the hang is Air NZ's all new scheme that was trumpeted about a year ago?? I have a pic somewhere...

ZK-FRE a 737-300 is to be first up for the new livery. Roll out is due to be around October-ish this year:D Would that pic be this one?:phttp://www.airliners.net/uf/536885951/middle/1185022487fy4Fnw.jpg (http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.file?id=536885951&filename=1185022487fy4Fnw.jpg) be

1279shp
24th Jul 2007, 09:54
Re: www.qantas.com.au/flash/miniS...nes/index.html (http://www.qantas.com.au/flash/miniS...nes/index.html)

What's the two rectanular skid pans each side of fuse, visible just behind wing trailing edge??:confused:

AND

Check out the red leather seats! Looks like the color of the interior of a VC Commodore I had once!:cool:

hotnhigh
24th Jul 2007, 10:05
absolute debacle. Enuff said. Geoff, you really have lost the plot.

Torqueman
24th Jul 2007, 10:51
Oh please, someone get me a friggin tissue.......................!!!!!:{

Taildragger67
24th Jul 2007, 10:59
So now no doubt Mr Hulsbosch has been able to put his kids through school & get a nice new BM for changing the angle of a roo's leg and flattening its forehead...

I know blokes who've done that with an F100 and they didn't get their name in the paper! :}

Oh well, makes a change - finally something at QF not designed by Marc Newson or Neil Perry!

Well, looks like an extra couple of hours in the paintshop for this baby (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6017565&nseq=0) (yes, the one in the background) to change the fin.

ForkTailedDrKiller
24th Jul 2007, 11:36
Hey!

Big Foot ?

man on the ground
24th Jul 2007, 11:50
Looks like a deformed rat squatting to take a dump :yuk:

Led Zep
24th Jul 2007, 12:02
I feel like a bowl of Special K. Don't know why!?

Erin Brockovich
24th Jul 2007, 13:24
There you go Torqueman

http://www.wpclipart.com/animals/birds/O/ostrich_head_In_Sand.png

Ahh, a thousand words :D

gaunty
24th Jul 2007, 15:04
Well in the last few minutes I recieved my latest QF Frequent Flyer email and I gotta say it doesn't look bad at all.

The A380 livery looks great too. And its about time we got a Business Lounge and Premium Economy.:ok:

Qantas Club is turning into a circus. :{

Torqueman
25th Jul 2007, 00:03
I love it Erin Brockovich!

Might ruffle some feathers. Excuse the pun!

RedTBar
25th Jul 2007, 00:53
Qantas roo stirs the possum

Linton Besser Transport Reporter
July 25, 2007

IT TOOK 200 attempts to get it right, but the man behind the new Qantas logo said he never dared scrub out the 60-year-old flying kangaroo. In an exercise that will cost the company about $5 million, the new logo is almost identical - a white roo on a red background.

On an interview last night on the ABC JB was asked how much this was going to cost and he said only a few thousand dollars not millions...

Pedota
25th Jul 2007, 05:52
this is from today's Airline Transport World . . .

Qantas unveils A380 interior, updated logo
Wednesday July 25, 2007

Qantas unveiled a radical overhaul of its international long-haul inflight product ahead of the delivery of its first A380 in August 2008.

A new premium economy class (ATWOnline, July 24) featuring 42-in. pitch, a new Panasonic IFE system, enhanced connectivity in all cabins and upgraded lie-flat business class beds are the main features of a makeover that will be offered on the A380s and QF's 747-400s starting in February.

The carrier will configure its A380s with just 450 seats--14 first class "suites," 72 business, 32 premium economy and 332 economy. First and economy (3-4-3) will be on the lower deck with business (2-2-2) and premium economy (2-3-2) on the upper deck.

The A380 will feature self-service bars and lounges in first and business classes, a self-service bar in premium economy and four such bars in coach. All classes will have wireless connectivity, in-seat e-mail, Internet, telephone and SMS along with in-seat power, USB and R145 ports.

On the 747-400, premium economy will be on the main deck in a 2-4-2 configuration, which is how business class started when QF pioneered it in 1979. The airline will open dedicated business class lounges in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane by the middle of next year.

QF also unveiled a sleeker, updated version of its iconic kangaroo logo, which it said "is a great fit for the tail of the A380 and other new-generation aircraft."

by Geoffrey Thomas

flying_inverted
25th Jul 2007, 06:22
http://nl.airliners.net/photos/middle/5/9/3/1239395.jpg (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1239395&size=L&width=1000&height=678&sok=JURER%20%20%28nvepensg%20%3D%20%27Obrvat%20767-338%2FRE%27%29%20%20BEQRE%20OL%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=3)http://nl.airliners.net/photos/middle/0/5/5/1239550.jpg (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1239550&size=L&width=1200&height=812&sok=JURER%20%20%28nvepensg%20%3D%20%27Obrvat%20767-338%2FRE%27%29%20%20BEQRE%20OL%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=1)
Millions spent, hardly a change, what was the point?:uhoh::sad::ugh::ugh::=

1279shp
25th Jul 2007, 12:35
Flying Inverted; Whoa. That's not pretty!

Its not the one, but looks close-ish.

Tail looks right, but flows under the belly. Wonder if they're doing a 'Jet Star/Emirates and going to put wording, a big Koru under there?

The airnewzealand font is lower case, and is the web address - like painted on rugby matches. The Pacific Waves waves have definitly gone from the front too.

White/grey belly is gone too, the plane body/engine are very light jade colour, like Air Canada's new scheme.

The pic I had was actually an artisit impression of a 737!

Syd eng
25th Jul 2007, 22:09
What's the two rectanular skid pans each side of fuse, visible just behind wing trailing edge??:confused:

It is the teflon painted area that the flaps rub past on extension & retraction.

Buster Hyman
25th Jul 2007, 23:15
Ah, I've just noticed that the Gold has gone as well. Now they just look like any other LCC.:hmm:

lowerlobe
25th Jul 2007, 23:19
Buster..Does that mean that the pax have to pay for pillows now?

Darth would like that....mmmmm..... bonus........mmmmmm

flying_inverted
25th Jul 2007, 23:21
Yeah not pretty at all:ugh: Your description sounds rather fimiliar to what other people have said, should be a very interesting livery:D:ok:

Buster Hyman
25th Jul 2007, 23:30
Apparently, the crew hand them out for free if you're willing to bite it!!!:eek:

(Oooh...this is gonna hurt!!!):ooh:

lowerlobe
25th Jul 2007, 23:35
Mmmmmm... let me think....pillow biters.....no I'm in the other club....your thinking of someone in the office...;)

1279shp
25th Jul 2007, 23:43
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1239550/L/ (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1239550/L/)
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1239395/L/ (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1239395/L/)
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1239398/L/ (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1239398/L/)

It wouldn't let me post the actual images. :confused:Ya know it looks okay, but too subtle. Especially with V Australia now looking similar!:eek:

'aveagoodknight
25th Jul 2007, 23:43
Tell me the registration is just a co-incidence...

allthecoolnamesarego
26th Jul 2007, 00:04
Please tell me that is was a coincidence that the rego is GD - and not an act of vainness by the man with the same initials!?

Buster Hyman
26th Jul 2007, 00:34
Hmmm...yes, you may be right...;)

Re the rego...I believe that VH-$$$ was taken.:hmm:

OzPax1
26th Jul 2007, 01:13
Funny you noticed that too! Was thinking the exact same thing! And probably is the the answer IMHO! :ok:

gaunty
26th Jul 2007, 03:39
I like it, looks very smart and clean.

The rego, well you heard about the worried little boy asking the priest why was God asking his Mummy to go to Heaven.

Shlonghaul
26th Jul 2007, 12:02
Please tell me that is was a coincidence that the rego is GD

No coincidence at all :yuk:

Any truth in the rumour that the first QF A380 will be registered VH-DARTH? :E

armslides&crossdress
26th Jul 2007, 12:46
Hey Spin Team ...
Your Glorious leader speaking...
We need some knee jerking hot potato we can bring out off the drawing board to stop all this talk and media hype of the Safest Airline in the Universe ( bangkok .mmm, don't remember...) having serious issues not the least offshore maintenance / safety, and all the rest.
NOW.. What will excite all the morons out there and blanket all the REAL issues that could cut into My :mad: I mean our next bonuses... mmmm

:D really people.. come on :yuk:

Taildragger67
26th Jul 2007, 14:57
Now I might be wrong, but on this page (http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/company/A380?ext_cam=AURedPAviation27Jul07ht), if you go to the 'Gallery' tab and click on 'Photos', there's a shot of a 380 rotating. Nice angle, but is that a trail of sparks I spy? :eek: As in, it's doing a VMU test?

Shower of sparks out the coit - hardly what I'd want the punters to see in the promo shots... :ugh:

blueloo
26th Jul 2007, 15:02
Anyone know if those figues are correct on that A380 QF link -

For an extra 70 tonnes in overall weight, it can only carry and extra 16 odd tonnes in payload and fly 1800km more?

Torqueman
26th Jul 2007, 16:41
Now I might be wrong, but on this page (http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/company/A380?ext_cam=AURedPAviation27Jul07ht), if you go to the 'Gallery' tab and click on 'Photos', there's a shot of a 380 rotating. Nice angle, but is that a trail of sparks I spy? :eek: As in, it's doing a VMU test?

Shower of sparks out the coit - hardly what I'd want the punters to see in the promo shots... :ugh:

Taildragger

I do believe you are right......what a pissa.

I would of thought being an Airbus it would have a computer controlled flight envelope to prevent this from occuring. (An electronic tail bump).

Very interesting.;)

PS2A_yay!
27th Jul 2007, 00:47
GDay. I too dislike the new QF livery, particularly the font on the front. I also believe they should return the wings to their rightful position on the roo.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the reasonbehind the shortening of the roo's leg was a practical one. As shown in the pictures, the roo's leg used to extend below the horizontal stab to the corner of the red triangle. I remember reading somewhere (cant recall where) that on the A380 and the 787 with their composite structures, this area is not supposed to be painted for reasons of corrosion.

So instead of having half the roo's leg missing, they have decided to redesign the whole thing??

Anyone heard this??

PS2A

RedTBar
27th Jul 2007, 01:40
I think the idea of a roo with wings would be a great retro look.

As far as the rego of the first A-380 is concerned it might be VH-BONUS.

Or if a bow tie aficiondo gets the chairmanship it might be the "City of Corporate Bonus"

Taildragger67
27th Jul 2007, 08:07
PS2A,

Yes I think some big-wig in the company made some remark about the soon-to-be-extinct roo not fitting in as well with some of the design features of new aircraft joining the fleet. Airbii usually have a big unpainted area around the stabiliser (not sure about the 380) anyway as it's an all-moving surface; on the 330 (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1207526/M/) it pretty much wipes out most of the rodent's lower leg.

Here (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0042788/M/) is how it looked on the QF 300s.

Torqueman,

I don't know if Airbus do in fact have programmed-in envelope limitations but they did do a series of VMU tail-dragging tests at Istres (southern France) early in th eflight test programme. Chewed through several scrapers but unfortunately on a couple of the early runs, they got the angles wrong and chewed off a couple of skin panels... :{

Buster Hyman
27th Jul 2007, 08:44
I preferred the blue roo on the A300. :suspect:

Taildragger67
27th Jul 2007, 08:49
Buster,

The blue roo never made it onto the A300s - they brought in the two-humped camel livery for the 300.

blueloo
27th Jul 2007, 12:21
Someone said the new red economy is leather? Anyone know if its true? From looking at the material, it looks more like red fabric.

Marc Newson is a genius, he is taking the 70's and selling it as his own idea! Its a pity he didnt get the Cabin crew to wear orange jackets again though with brown pants!

Taildragger67
27th Jul 2007, 12:24
... with regulation porn-star moustaches :ok:

... on the male F/As as well! :}

Buster Hyman
27th Jul 2007, 13:35
Really?:confused:

Better tell these guys...

http://www.curbe.com/QVA/qva/images/3pln2110.jpg

Taildragger67
27th Jul 2007, 13:44
Buster,

Sorry - my mistake. "I stand corrected". I'd forgotten about that one and was thinking they'd just gone from the two lines-humps thingy to the Red Rat.

And you're right - that one did look quite good.

Actually I've had a total brain-fade on this - it was a big blue T before the humpy-thing.

Maybe I should just delete that earlier post and start again?! :confused:

Animalclub
27th Jul 2007, 22:28
Remember the days when the blue roo had a spear through it's legs plus one up it's jacksie? Don't know if it made it on to an aircraft but it certainly made the company tie!

blueloo
28th Jul 2007, 01:10
Was it blue because it was hypoxic?

Buster Hyman
28th Jul 2007, 04:46
No worries TD...good to know I'm not alone in the brain fade dept.

I don't think the T tail made it onto the A300...apart from the models they made when they bought it.

woftam
28th Jul 2007, 09:25
That roo looks a lot better than the one that swallowed a sheep and broke it's legs in the new QF livery farce.:ugh:

slamer.
30th Jul 2007, 10:11
Looks good! ... its a more casual, LCC looking font & image. I think it will suite Qantas.....:ok:

1279shp
30th Jul 2007, 12:59
>> a more casual, LCC looking font & image

You prophesising????:)

Buster Hyman
30th Jul 2007, 13:57
All it needs now is the phone number on the side & she's apples!:ok:

Bankstown
1st Apr 2008, 09:16
It's now flying around on a 747-400
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6210595

Buster Hyman
1st Apr 2008, 09:20
Hmmm...Philip Island eh? A small island in WESTernport Bay, that has only one exit & is generally full of bikers & crowded penguins....LCC indeed!

On a serious note, grey engine struts...didn't notice that before & those donks don't appear to be Rollers???:confused:

Going Boeing
1st Apr 2008, 10:02
Yeah Buster, the three ugly sisters were bought second hand in the late 1990's and are GE powered. This one VH-OEB was purchased from Asiana and was very basic in the options that had been specified from the Boeing factory. A fair bit of money has been spent getting it close to the -438 spec but it still has a few differences (2 CADC instead of 3, no automatic operation of APU fire extiguisher etc). It's still a better aircraft than the other two ugly sisters - they were purchased from Malaysian Airlines and MAS did a shonky job painting the aircraft into QF colours. They used metallic bladed tools (Stanley knives) to remove sealant from between the fuselage skin panels and the knicks that they made susequently propogated into cracks (up to 70cm in length before the problem was first discovered. Major repairs were carried out but there are still ongoing problems. I know that QF started legal proceedings against MAS but don't know of any outcome.

Apologies for thread drift.

B A Lert
1st Apr 2008, 12:12
they were purchased from Malaysian Airlines and MAS did a shonky job painting the aircraft into QF colours.

GB, think you are defaming the Malaysians as I recall that these paints into Qantas livery were in China. BTW, the Yanks have also turned out some dodgy paint jobs over the years.

Keg
1st Apr 2008, 12:41
The paint jobs may have been in china but it was the Malaysians who did the damage with the wire brush stripping somewhere in the process. A gingerbeer colleague of mine reckons it's the closest we've been to a catasrophic hull loss.

Buster Hyman
1st Apr 2008, 12:50
I stand corrected...(I was wrong once before)...I just assumed it was new from seattle for some reason.

Maintaining the drift though, if that indeed was the case, would that mean there are other examples, possibly 9M types, that are running around in this precarious state? Or should I rest assured that Boeing took the necessary steps???

Going Boeing
1st Apr 2008, 20:27
BA, I'm fairly sure that the paint jobs on OEC & OED were done in Malaysia prior to delivery to QF.

Buster, I agree with your concerns. I did hear that after QF discovered the problem, Boeing ordered inspections on other aircraft that had been repainted at that facility.

OhForSure
1st Apr 2008, 21:12
Buster:

With regard to the grey painted engine pylons... I believe only the RR engines have the polished metalic pylons whilst the GE & Pratts (the latter not evident in the QF fleet) are painted. I've always assumed they were made of a different material :confused:

GB? Keg?

Buster Hyman
1st Apr 2008, 21:56
What a wealth of information Pprune provides!:ok:

Cheers all.

Keg
1st Apr 2008, 22:18
ohforsure, do you mean the engine pylons or the engine cowls?

To be honest, I can't remember with certainty about the pylons- it's been about two years since I've been around the aircraft at ground level and can't remember looking explicitly at that. I suspect that the RB211s on the 744 have painted pylons as I don't recall them being polished. A check of some photos on jetphotos would possibly provide an answer. .

It's the classic Rollers that have the polished engine cowls. GB may be able to provide an answer as to why the Rollers on the classic aren't painted whilst the Rollers on the 744 are. He spent time on the classic whereas I only ever admired the thing from afar. :ok:

Nepotisim
1st Apr 2008, 23:32
Classics have metal unpainted cowling and struts.

-400 Rollers have metal unpainted struts and painted engines. Except for the exhaust nozzle.

The engines are painted because the thrust reverser translating cowl is made from composite material and requires a coating and would look really funny in the original finish. I guess marketing thought the rest should be painted too.

N

Jabawocky
2nd Apr 2008, 00:57
GB / Keg

Anyone have any photo's of the cracks on the ex Malaysian a/c?

Would be an interesting thing to see.

J:ok:

Critical Reynolds No
2nd Apr 2008, 02:15
Can't tell in the photo but is the "Longreach" grey or gooollllllddd? I like goooollllldddd...

Going Boeing
2nd Apr 2008, 02:45
Jaba, I'm sorry but I don't have access to any photos of the cracks (& now that QF management have cracked down on staff taking photos at work, it could be difficult to get any.

Keg, OhForSure, yeah the Roller pylons are unpainted on both the Classic and the -400. I don't know for certain but I believe that the -400 engine cowls are painted for ascetic reasons (I think that some sections of the cowl are not metallic). Also the cowls extend further aft on the -G engine compared to the D4 and the small QF logo on the cowls stands out better than on the unpainted classic cowls. Originally, the oil breather on the -400 engines was flush with the cowl which resulted in an oil stain contrasting with the white cowls. The fix was to fit an "elbow" to the oil breather taking it into the airflow away from the cowl. They also changed the paint from bright white to an off white colour which doesn't show oil stains as much

Buster Hyman
2nd Apr 2008, 03:29
I was going to mention the "oil breather", but I had NFI what it was called! Nice bit of cosmetic surgery that...was it adopted into the subsequent engine designs, or is it just an "after market" fix?

Keg
2nd Apr 2008, 03:35
Buster, I suspect that it's an 'after market' fix but I'm not 100% sure. When we got the 767 Z cars from BA none of them had oil breathers fitted on the engines. I used to ask the engineers to clean the left hand cowl when departing OOL due to the fact that the punters walked across the tarmac to the rear stairs and the oil stain would be quite prevalent.

It's been a few years since I've been around the bottom of a 767 too so I have no idea if QF retro-fitted them to the Z cars.

Veruka Salt
2nd Apr 2008, 05:28
Yes Keg the "Falcons" have the extended oil breather pipe too for the same reasons ....