PDA

View Full Version : Lanseria Flight Centre

eastafrican
19th Jul 2007, 22:39
Hi i am looking for a school in South Africa to do my CPL.

Does any1 have any comments about lanseria flight centre based at lanseria Airport? www.flylfc.com (http://www.flylfc.com)

Also i am looking for accomodation around Lanseria Airport?
Any suggestions.

Pls reply... comments / suggestions

thank you alot.

KeithO
20th Jul 2007, 22:23
LFC have been around a while. One of their founders (can't remember her name - Val, something) was tragically killed in a mid-air break-up (thought to have been caused by a micro-burst) a few years ago, so I'd check-out how things have been running since then.

Also be careful about the convertability of a non-JAR CPL - under JAR-FCL 3 you can validate a PPL but not a CPL - I've just finished researching that issue about five-mins ago, so I think that info is correct (but I'd love to be wrong, and then I can save myself a load a money!)

I've lived in Joburg since 1998, but am now relocating back to the UK. To be frank the crime IS out of control (I've had two gunfights in my house, which is in a upmarket, security-patrolled area), and infrastructure is starting to trip-up; daily (and all-day long) powercuts are not uncommon in all the major cities.

All that said I've loved living & flying there, it's a beautiful country, and the people (of ALL colours & races) are great, so at least go for a look-see (but be careful!)

Cheap rental accom around Lanseria is plentiful, nearest hotels (who will do a long-term deal for students at FALA) are Shuma Valley Lodge, and the Hertford Hotel, but you're best bet will be to rent a small place.

Good luck!

Jedi Pirate
1st Aug 2007, 14:21
LFC is pretty good school IMO - i used their Beech Duchess for my initial Twin IF (altho i wasn't actually a student with them) and found them to a decent school. They share their hangar with an AMO so maintenance is seldom a big issue as snags can be attended to regularly and usually with little downtime(depending on the nature of Snag of course!)

another advantage is that Lanseria is great airport to do IF training from as you don't have to fly to another airfield to do approaches etc The folks in the tower are exceptionally competent and usually very accommodating and often 'sneak' you in do approaches even when its pretty busy! on top of all this the General flying area(GF) is literally just outside their CTR so its a quick hop!

Only downside to Lanseria is its BUSY - so you may have to sit at the holding point for a while on occasion!

Other than LFC, Babcock CFA at Grand Central is a great school with arguably the best ground school in the country, particularly the notes!
Probably your best bet if you're not at Lanseria.

As far as crime goes......can't deny its bad, it is! But vigilance in this regard goes a long way! I, touch wood, am fortunate enough to have not been directly affected by crime in my 22yrs living in SA but alas it is a distinct possibility :-(
Its an awesome country with brilliant weather(+/- 300days VFR/year) and great people!

hope that helps! PM me if you need any more info

where ever what ever
8th Aug 2007, 22:30
Did CPL there at xmas 2005 on the c177 then went back and renewed on the Dutchess. Very good operation, reasonable fleet, they even had a cirrus arround then.. plus points good opps and computer based booking, ok fleet although a bit old now, it all works, what doesn't get fixed in house quickly. excellent instructors, fala has a great gf area within ten mins negative point need to have a car to get there, the lovley c172r which was newish crashed arround 2006 shame great plane, long taxi out to rwy, try to avoid the thunderstorms in Dec

As for living there, lived in fourways for the cpl no issues go used to the guy at the cash point holding the ak47 as quite normal after a while bit different after dark though also stayed in backpacker in fourways , and northern suburbs of jo'burg all within a 30 mins had a great time and as a single bloke could not fault it ( very friendly girls in backpacker )

my advice, crack on but also have a look at bluechip too

mc001
10th Aug 2007, 09:56
I would agree about checking out CFA, http://www.flyingacademy.co.za/aboutus.html

I wouldnt be suprised if their is cheap accomodation around Midrand (where CFA is) and also CAA is at Midrand where you will take your CPL exams.

Look at the cost difference between LFC and CFA, for example I did a 182 conversion at LFC it was R1500 p/hr, CFA was R1200.

There has been lots of debate on AVCOM about this as well. I fly out of FAGC (use CFA plane H&F). My opinion is this,

FAGC - Training potentially cheaper (you need to check this for your self)
- you will spend less time taxing and waiting on the ground (that costs money)
- On a bad point, they seem to be quite busy so make sure your instructor's are available. I have only done conversions and check rides with them so I am not sure about full time course students. Having said this the staff are friendly and I know instructors go out of their way to accomodate students.

Lanseria - you get good expeirence, you will use ground and tower frequency.

Only flown twice with LFC so can't tell you good and bad, just aircraft cost is more and spent 20 -25 min engine running before take off and that costs.

If it was me what would I do? probably a hybrid, enroll at CFA and work out (landing fee's) for lanseria and spend time at Lanseria when you need to.

Hope you come right,

Regards,

Mark