PDA

View Full Version : GAPAN and??

Miguel.
19th Jul 2007, 21:43
Hi Guys,

I have read that GAPAN test is a good one for an aspiring pilot before parting with your hard earned.

However, can I take the GAPAN test if I wear glasses (GAPAN is for RAF)?

Also, what are tests can be undertaken out there which would pretty much allow one to realised whether they have the mental ability to pull through.

Greetz

PAJ
19th Jul 2007, 21:48
The GAPAN test is for both civil and military pilots I believe and glasses will not be a problem. Other than the GAPAn testing, the only other form of testing I am aware of is at the flight schools themselves in regards to entry on to their courses.

Miguel.
19th Jul 2007, 22:03
Thanks mate. As a rule - is the GAPAN test more difficult than say the tests done at Oxford Aviation??

EZYramper
20th Jul 2007, 16:06
I've done the GAPAN tests and the PILAPT tests at CTC and they are pretty much the same thing.

The only thing that I found a bit more difficult is that at GAPAN some of the tests are done using rudder pedals where as with PILAPT the similar tests are done using joystick imputs which I found easier, but thats all down to the individual.

I thought that the GAPAN assessment was very much worth the money, getting advice from real ex-training captains as well was invaluable.

Strongly recommended.

expedite08
21st Jul 2007, 13:52
From evidence I have, I have zero faith whatsoever in those silly tests. Just another way to make money out of you!

Im training for my CPL, passed PPL first time on good hours, and achieved over 90% in all ATPL exams with first time passes. Went to Cranwell and was promply told I didnt pass any of the tests for 'aptitude related branches of the RAF'. Let alone be let loose on an aircraft! hmmm

A good friend of mine had a laugh and went for the CTC ATP scheme. Failed the tests miserably. He's happily flying Dash 8's around at the moment just about to unfreeze and have a sniff at a command.

It goes the other way too, wiz kid gets all the tests nailed, cant fly a plane to save thier lives, just look at the chop rates to see that!

Funny old world, but thats what makes it all so interesting.

Enough said! :ok:

Re-Heat
22nd Jul 2007, 14:19
GAPAN has no interest in making money from you. It is entirely for your benefit that you undergo their testing, if you are interested in the feedback they can offer (at a cost far lower than others could provide, as those providing feedback often provide their services for free).

Perhaps expedite's skills were not suited to the RAF but are entirely suitable for civilian flying; perhaps his "friend" was not treating them as seriously as someone without a job already in the bag.

We don't know either way - they are not accurate - but they are damn useful for the wannabe who doesn't have a clue if his/her skills are adequate for the flight deck or not.

Rather there were more testing so students are appropriate in the first instance, than wannabes with unlimited credit paying for multiple retests to eventually get there...

geordiejet
23rd Jul 2007, 08:39
I would be interested to know. Even if Gapan say you are not suitable, are you really going to let a computer read out and the opinions of a couple of people ruin your career plans. If they say no, is that the end of the road for you? Just out of interest.

lebroix
23rd Jul 2007, 10:26
Many a pilot, myself included, are said to give a wry smile everytime they fly their aircraft over Cranwell.

I took 3 sets of aptitude tests with different institutions, all looked very similar and all 3 gave very different results. I asked the obvious question of all three institutions; why are the results so different, and which should I beleive?

The other two institutions took an honest approach saying that I may have overperformed on some tests, and maybe underperformed in others. Also, aptitude tests only measure your performance on that particular day, with regards to those particular tests and are not a true measure of your aviation skills.

When I approached GAPAN I was met with a wall of total inflexibility. Every time I tried to re-ask the question, I was met with the same dogmatic response; "our tests are accurate, beleive the results", end of dialogue.

GAPAN have the best of intentions and their efforts are well meaning but I wouldn't let their tests be a definative answer, just part of an overall picture.

AlphaMale
23rd Jul 2007, 11:30
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163808

I had a read of post #57 on the link above (as posted in another thread) I decided like G SXTY that £150 is small change compared to the £50k I am looking to blow on training.

I am not so certain anymore;

If I get a low grade will I still follow my dreams of becoming a pilot? ... ofcourse!

If I get the highest grade available will I become over confident? It seems when a teacher predicts a grade of B/C for a GSCE the student will tend to relax and think he/she is in the clear and ends up with a C or even a D.

I guess it would be peace of mind if I passed it but it wouldn't hinder my ambition if I failed either. Passing a Class 1 medical would be first on the cards.

I guess I'll leave it to my PPL instructor to let me know what he/she thinks of my flying and personality after spending 40+hrs flying with me and many many hours of sitting in class / caffe / bar waiting for the weather to clear up.

I'd imagine an instructor with 10,000+hrs of airline flying could tell me if I can cut it or not. If he/she tells me I don't have it takes in the flying/academic/personality department to make it as a professional pilot then I guess I might just stick with the PPL and blow the rest of my money on property / nice car :{

Re-Heat
23rd Jul 2007, 14:23
GAPAN have the best of intentions and their efforts are well meaning but I wouldn't let their tests be a definative answer, just part of an overall picture.
Exactly - which is why doing a PPL first is also a very good idea.

However, if you can't pass anyone's tests and then blow 50k on training that gets you nowhere, you can't blame anyone!