PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a helicopter training org in (Southern) Africa ?

goaround7
19th Sep 2000, 19:52
Can anyone advise a good (CHEAP ?) school for a helicopter PPL and CPL in South(ern) Africa ? I've got all fixed wing comm exams already so exam training not important. (Will also be finishing fixed wing comm first to save on cost of helicopter hours.)

Thanks

Goldfish Jack
19th Sep 2000, 23:04
Try National Airways Corp at FACT - see them via www.nac.co.za (http://www.nac.co.za)

ALso have a look at www.aeropages.co.za (http://www.aeropages.co.za)

goaround7
20th Sep 2000, 12:43
Thanks Goldfish Jack

Will do.

Captain Pheremone
20th Sep 2000, 20:22
What geographical area are you interested in? You can select many places and all are very similar in price. i will gladly assist in finding out any information you may need.
Johannessburg - many schools in central SA
Durban - Chopper Flying Services, Virginia Airport or others. Nice coastal town similar to Cape Town.
Nelspruit - close to Kruger National Park and other attractions.

It all depends on where you are coming from and what you want to do.

goaround7
21st Sep 2000, 13:22
Good points, Captain and thanks for the offer.

We'll be back in SA (Jo'burg) end of next month.

'We' includes my wife who has a job offer with a small (fixed wing) outfit based out of Jo'burg Intnl which allow pilots to live in CT or in Durban (where the company and owner are officially based) which would be preferable to Gauteng (uninvited night time visitors in my mother-in-law's garden again last night...)

Virginia sounds good - checked it out in May this year after finishing comm exams.

Nelspruit attractive but probably not feasible if wife needs to commute to Joburg each morning ?

Sounds like more chopper work in Natal than CT area - is that correct ? Also, I heard that a lot of SAAF helicopter guys just left the force so not many jobs ?

Thanks again for advice.

yogibear
21st Sep 2000, 18:14
If you are in the JHB area try Hover Dynamics
at Grand Central Airport in Midrand.Dave Baard is the head honcho there.....damn good school give them a call.....JHB 011-315-1834.

The bear...

------------------
Chopper pilots do it vertically :-)

goaround7
22nd Sep 2000, 14:07
Thanks Yogi,

My wife got some info from them but a contact name will be very useful. Probably try to arrange to see him.

Does anyone know how the T&G comm exam for helicopters compares to the fixed wing one ?