PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructor

princepilot
19th Jul 2007, 16:46
Hi,

Could anybody tell me the exact requirements to go from nothing to flight instructor please?

I think its PPL, hour building, cpl then fi rating , but not sure.

Also roughly how much at a cheapish flying school

Matt:)

Flingingwings
19th Jul 2007, 17:26
Matt,

Try the search function on the website, you aren't the first or the last to ask (a factor that will limit responses) :ok:

Then go to www.srg.caa.co.uk and download a free copy of LASOR's. That will tell you exactly everything you need to know.

In the most basic sense you have two chocies to get to a CPL, integrated or modular.

Integrated - You start on day 1 with nowt, you leave a year or so later with a cpl or a frozen atpl.

Modular - ppl, hours building, commercial level theory exams, cpl course and skills test. But in your own timescale.

Either way once you have a cpl you hours build a little more to 250 hours and then take an FI course.

Price wise fixed wing I can't help you (I'm rotary and it would cost about 70K in my world), but bet any local flying school can give you an idea. Think a fixed wing ppl is about 7k and integrated courses when I looked at them about 6 years ago were in the region of 55K

Good luck

AlphaMale
19th Jul 2007, 19:27
I think its PPL, hour building, cpl then fi rating , but not sure.

Also roughly how much at a cheapish flying school

Think an IMC would come in handy, IR if you could too/instead.

Class 1 Medical
200hrs minimum 100PIC
Flown at least 5hrs in the last 6 month prior to FI course.

So;

PPL (4 to 6 weeks) 45hrs
IMC (1 or 2 weeks) 15hrs
Night (2 nights) 5hrs
Hour Building 50hrs

Not sure what the above will cost you? depends if your doing it in the UK / US / Europe I guess.

Should have say 115+hrs by the time you get here.

Then take time off work and do the following in Aerofan as an example;

Hour Building 7,000 Euros 60hrs
CPL (10 days) 3,900 Euros 25hrs

Should have say 200+hrs by the time you get here.

FI (3 weeks) 5,580 Euros 30hrs

Above will cost 16,480 Euros (£11,100) should you pass everything first time in the minimum hours, and then you need to look at flights and accomodation/living costs. I guess the first stage might cost an arm and leg too.

I only put Night / IMC in there so your not simply burning the hours away. And I'm sure they'd come in handy.

pipergirl
19th Jul 2007, 21:43
Either way once you have a cpl you hours build a little more to 250 hours and then take an FI course.
Not correct information, I am afraid-
If you would like to go on and end up at the FI stage, you do not necessarily have to do the CPL at all. If you do get a CPL and do the FI course after it, there is no necessity to do a set amount of hours after your CPL.
If you go down the route without the CPL-
You will need to have the PPL with 150 hours PIC under your belt along with the theoretical knowledge for the CPL (i.e the ATPL or CPL exams completed).
Check out LASORS http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_07.pdf Section H and you will get all the information you neeed about the nitty gritty of what you need to do the course etc..

You don't necessarily have to have an IR or an IMC either, that is more personal choice.

There are loads of threads about where to do cheap training, where is best etc...just have a good look into it and best of luck with it all :ok:

princepilot
19th Jul 2007, 22:10
Hi pipergirl,

So let me get this right. I can do a ppl , get 150hrs under my belt , and then do the cpl theory papers , and then get a fi rating without actually getting a cpl?

I may as well do the full cpl surely?

Matt:O

BlueRobin
19th Jul 2007, 23:06
Yes and then you can get paid. Also you're more likely to get a job - the majority of schools take on CPL FIs.

porridge
20th Jul 2007, 06:34
princepilot
If you are seriously interested in instructing only, why don't you consider instructing on the the new generation of 3 axis microlights? They are in essence comparable to your C150's and Tomahawks and many are now far better equipped than the ancient aircraft mentioned. The plus is you only need a PPL and the 200 hours plus doing an FIC (microlights). It is a real growth area and the pay is good (£50 plus an hour) compared with the peanuts you will get as a group A aircraft instructor. If you want to later get the CPL/IR you can at least get the money to pay for it by working in instruction. As far as a return on the training investment the microlight (VLF) route shows a far better return!

princepilot
20th Jul 2007, 07:51
Hi Porridge,

To be honest, i was going to go the nppl route and do that. I was just worried about not being able to fly at night, no going abroad, no imc etc

But suppose the only time i would fly at night is if i was going abroad (which i cant on a nppl so i have been told) and imc would be very tricky in a microlight wouldnt it due to the weight?

All i wanna do is fly , not for the airlines , but just to be up there away from the stress and ratrace , and to instruct would mean everything to me as i could take great pride in being able to teach other people to experience what i experience. Know what i mean?:)

pipergirl
20th Jul 2007, 17:32
So let me get this right. I can do a ppl , get 150hrs under my belt , and then do the cpl theory papers , and then get a fi rating without actually getting a cpl?

I may as well do the full cpl surely?

In my opinion, if you go to all that length to do CPL/ATPL exams, then you might as well do the CPL! Just wanted to point out that you don't nesscessarily need the CPL. I don't know why anyone would do it that way, but then again, there may be a few reasons like someone who can't get a Class 1 and as a result who can't get the CPL done could instruct on the PPL?!?

neilia
22nd Jul 2007, 09:51
To clarify though, you have to have a CPL to earn money as an instructor.