PDA

View Full Version : Info on Kenya

Snoop
17th Sep 2000, 05:30
I have the chance of working for an operator based in Kenya. This would involve both myself and my wife uprooting and moving from the UK.
Can anyone let me know what the situation is really like out there politically, economically and socially? My wife speaks 3 European languages and is management with a large international computer firm and would need to find work and more to the point would she be safe?

Thanks,

------------------
Snoop

smallfry
17th Sep 2000, 13:21
Snoop.
Here are two websites for the main newspapers. They give you a very rough idea
<http://www.nationaudio.com/News/DailyNation/Today/>
and
<http://www.eastandard.net/>
Otherwise, at the moment there is power rationing and water shortages. Old Africa hands will tell you this is usual! Just ask who ever is paying your rent to find you a house with a generator and a borehole.
Security? Well, its a country with a lot of povery and problems, so you just have to think about what you are doing, and be aware of your surroundings. Its common sense, dont walk down an unlit road in town at night! You will have to have security guards (askari's) on your property at night, and if you can aford it, during the day too!
As there is supposed to be presidential elections in 2001 that might turn out interesting.
Work? Both you and your wife will need work permits to work, and in order to get work, she has to be qualified to do a job that a local cannot fill. (I.e. the job would have to have been advertised locally first).
Drop me a line on [email protected] if you want more!

[This message has been edited by smallfry (edited 17 September 2000).]

Snoop
17th Sep 2000, 14:11
Cheers Smallfry, I'll be in touch! :)

------------------
Snoop

B Sousa
21st Sep 2000, 18:01
If you want an up to date view of Aviation in Nairobi. Give Simon Everett of Everett Aviation a call. If he is in the office he may be able to help. Originally from the UK and has been in Kenya many years.
25 42 891010 I was there two years ago and it does not look like the National Geographic Pictures of many years ago. Its sort of like Bosnia with different folks.

Rat Catcher
25th Sep 2000, 02:15
Your life style will also depend upon who you work for and where in Kenya you are based..is the equipment worth the move??
Feel free to mail me for more info, good luck!

Snoop
28th Sep 2000, 13:13
Thanks for your replies. It would appear that it probably wouldn't be the best of moves, according to the emails I have got!
Shame 'cos I would have loved to work out there.

Once again thanks to all those that have replied on both this board and to my email :)

------------------
Snoop

siggi-Iceland
2nd Oct 2000, 21:48
Hi all.

I and my mate are going to Kenya to work for a while. I have been following up on some of the writings around here and found them usefull. I read that Snoop is going around on his African trip and I can understand that him having a family to take care of, (good luck in the future snoop) but we are going ahead, for better or for worse. If anyone has anything to say that could help us getting started down there, we would welcome it.

Million thanks in advance.

Siggi from Iceland.

Snoop
8th Mar 2001, 22:05
Right.

After still not finding a job flying I am fed up with running into brick walls. Time to say what the hell, life is there to be lived and I am certainley not living it tied to a desk in the UK.

So.

What do I have to do to get my License converted?

Is my UK class 1 good enough or will I have to take another medical?

If I do have to take another medical, how much will it cost and what will I have to do?

Is there anything else I should know before my first reccie run out to Nairobi?

Cheers for any replies,

------------------
Snoop

Mutuku
13th Mar 2001, 17:47
If you have a ATPL you will only have to sit an Air Law exam. If you have a frozen ATPL you will have to sit a combined exam covering all the subjects you would have sat for your CPL(U.K). It took me about 3 months to get everything sorted with work permit and licence in hand arriving in Nairobi with a frozen ATPL(1994). The most enjoyable flying to date, a must before you get involved in flying in Europe. Aero Club of East Africa is the place to stay. That way you are on sight and get to meet the characters at Wilson Airport.