PDA

View Full Version : Majory Injury - Opinions?

Baritji
19th Jul 2007, 10:14
Hey Guys,

In December of last year, I suffered a severe laceration to my upper left forearm. I completely severed the Ulnar artery, the ulnar nerve and the flexor tendons. I also partially severed the median nerve.

It is now nearly nine months since my injury, and my arm is still not healed. I have been told by my surgeon and occupational therapist that recovery will take a few years, but that I should regain pretty much full use of my arm. However, because of the severe damage to my nerves, I will have limited capability to 'feel'. I will regain full feeling again, but it will be quite hard to distinguish exactly where on my hand I am actually feeling something. I may feel a tap on the tip of my forefinger, but am actually being tapped below the knuckle.

I have also been told, that it will take a good couple of years, but my brain will adjust to this and I will eventually be able to use my left hand without the use of sight.

Now, up until the accident, I was having a great time with my flying training. I have already spent a hell of a lot of money, and I worked 80 hours a week (1 full-time, and 2 part-time jobs) just to get that far. I understand that with such a long time between flying lessons, I will probably have to start over again, but I would hate for it to feel like a complete waste of money!!! And, like most pilots I've known, aviation has been a life-long passion.

Are you aware of any pilots that have suffered similar injuries and still have a decent career? Do you think that I will ever be a 'safe' pilot? If you were a CA, would you fly with an FO with a history of such an injury?

Any other comments?

I have spoken to a couple of Dr's who do the aviation medicals in Darwin. However, neither have been able to tell me anything new, and refuse to comment on the prospects of my chosen career. I can understand their reluctance, but :mad:!!

Please be honest with your comments, however harsh... I have had nine months to emotionally deal with this, and have so far come out well on top!!

Also, if anyone knows of any Ops jobs or the like in Darwin, that do not require heavy lifting, which I might be able to apply for, I would be forever in your debt! It is probably important to know I am 20 in September.

Thanks heaps,

B

ForkTailedDrKiller
19th Jul 2007, 10:33
Have you flown since your injury?

The human body has a great ability to compensate and heal itself.

Find a good instructor or someone you are comfortable flying with and go fly.

Really hard for someone without such an injury to comment, but it seems to me that for flying from the left hand seat, there is not much "feel" required for the left hand.

I wouldn't be too concerned about having "to start again". Flying is like riding a bike. You can get a bit wobbly but you never forget how to do it !!

Good luck, mate!

If you get over to Nth Qld, PM me if you would like to go for a lap in the FTDK with the Mad Dr.

Dr :cool:

Launchpad McQuack
19th Jul 2007, 10:38
Fortunately I can't say I've had that happen to me, and I've no advice to offer....

......but I do sincerely wish you all the best for your return to flying, may it be sooner than later.

Take care of that arm, good luck mate :ok:

LP

Capt Claret
19th Jul 2007, 10:46
If you were a CA, would you fly with an FO with a history of such an injury?

In my opinion if you are cleared medically and subsequently obtain a CPL/ATPL, no captain would know of your injury unless you told them about it, and consequently no captain would have to consider whether the injury was cause for them not to fly with you. Assuming you recover sufficiently and can be issued with a Class 1 medical, I don't think you need worry.

From your description you should be completely recovered by your mid 20s, which is not too late to start again. Whether your injury would preclude the issue of a Class 1 medical is something that only a DAME or CASA's AvMed section could tell you, and I suspect that won't become conclusive for some time yet.

I know of a bloke who had a prosthetic leg, whom I believe to be still flying. He did miss a gig on the BAe146 several years ago, as I understand in his case, he didn't have the ankle articulation to operate both brakes. He did have a medical though, so, don't assume you won't be able to be issued with one.

Jabawocky
19th Jul 2007, 11:06
There is an amazing lady Allana Arnott, who should not even be alive, let alone walking.......Her book is worth buying, The Best I can Be. I read it front to back one sitting, and I never read books like that!

Now she is ......read this, its very humbling. Yes not answering your question directly, but you will get the idea.

http://www.rotorlift.com.au/info/staff_aarnot.htm

J:ok:

Howard Hughes
20th Jul 2007, 00:26
My only advice is, if you feel you are fit to fly and the docs say no, seek a second opinion, then don't give up until you achieve what you want!

Good luck!:ok:

jetstar1
20th Jul 2007, 00:35
While we are on the subject, get yourself a copy of Janine Shepherd's book "Never Tell Me Never"... Anything is possible.
Good Luck :ok:

Brian Abraham
20th Jul 2007, 02:34
Baritji, know of an instructor (14,500 hrs) who has trouble with his right arm. To shake hands he first has to lift his right with his left to the greet position. Dont know what his exact problem is, or how he came about the problem, but he's flying. Looking at those who have had amputations they seem to get by OK, so I have confidence you should have little problem. Write to the CASA medics if your local doc is hesitant to offer an opinion. My experience is they are extremely helpfull and will do what they can to keep you in the cockpit, even to the extent of giving docs who are reluctant to offer an opinion a bit of a prod (in the right direction).

kiwi chick
20th Jul 2007, 03:05
I wouldn't be too concerned about having "to start again". Flying is like riding a bike. You can get a bit wobbly but you never forget how to do it !!

I couldn't agree more! I started flying at 17, soloed, then didn't fly again until i was 32. (although I HAD flown the circuit millions of times in my head - mispent marriage... :ugh:)

I got back in a little Cessna 152 (shut up...:oh:) and it all came flooding back! (not necessarily the precision & skill, i might add :ouch:, but the ability to fly a circuit without killing either myself or my instructor ;) )

HEAVEN!!

so, where there's a will, there's certainly a way - good luck with the arm!

tail wheel
20th Jul 2007, 04:07
"Are you aware of any pilots that have suffered similar injuries and still have a decent career?"

Douglas Bader (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Bader) flew rather well although missing a few more parts than you! :ok: However, CASA wasn't issueing his Class1 Medical!

tinpis
20th Jul 2007, 04:18
...and he wasnt working two jobs 80 hours a week to pay for it. :hmm:

Howard Hughes
20th Jul 2007, 04:53
not necessarily the precision & skill, i might add , but the ability to fly a circuit without killing either myself or my instructor
Sadly, judging by the picture on JB, the poor little 152 didn't fair quite so well...;)

Reverseflowkeroburna
20th Jul 2007, 09:13
I knew of a chap who was flying ME piston charter with a hook where his hand used to be. I'm led to believe he is now with a major UK airline.
I'm hardly a medic but I'm guessing your unhealed hand is already somewhat "handier" :}:}:oh: than this lads hook.
HH has offered good sound advice.
Don't give up on the dream Barits!:ok:
Slightly off topic, but for an absolutely fantastic read: Brickhill, Paul. Reach for the Sky: The Story of Douglas Bader DSO, DFC. London: Odhams Press Ltd., 1954. ISBN 1-55750-222-6.

Baritji
20th Jul 2007, 10:58
Well, I guess all I can say is..... wow! :ok:

If people are capable of flying after all those horrible injuries, that are so much worse than mine. I guess I shouldn't have too much trouble. I would love a class 1, and now feel rather confident that goal is attainable. Even if that would not be possible, I'd still be pretty happy cruising the sky with a PPL!

I guess an upside to not being able to fly at the moment, is that I will be able to save up a lot of money, and hopefully complete my training full time. It's a good chance to get the rest of the theory out of the way too.

Mad Dr - I haven't flown at all since my injury, but I can change gears in my car. I can't extend my fingers yet, but my thumb is fine, and I can pick up almost anything, if I can push it against the side of my forefinger with my thumb. It took me an hour, but I even managed to change a tyre the other day. I suppose that all I've heard about CASA while with Air Ngukurr and then Abo Air when I was an Ops assistant, has made me pretty paranoid when it comes to their regulations! Thanks for the brilliant offer too, I will certainly take you up on it if I ever get the chance.

I don't know how to thank you guys enough:D. This is something I have been worried about since it all happened, but now i feel.. well.. inspired! I have been doing a lot of reserach, but have found out more here in 24 hours, than I have in 9 months! I have ordered both of Allana Arnotts books, and the one about Doug Bader too... Can't wait to get stuck into 'em!!

A special thanks to those who were comfortable enough to share their own, similar experiences with me via PM.

Anyway, must be about time to hit the piss! Have a great night, and I'll update y'all on my progress!

Thanks again,

B

Capt Claret
20th Jul 2007, 12:36
Baritji

When you say, I have spoken to a couple of Dr's who do the aviation medicals in Darwin. However, neither have been able to tell me anything new, and refuse to comment on the prospects of my chosen career. I can understand their reluctance, but

Do you mean you've asked them for employment prospects, or for the chances of being granted a Class 1 medical?

If it was employment prospects, they wouldn't be in a position to predict. It'd be like me as a pilot predicting your medical status.

If you haven't actually consulted a DAME for a prognosis I think it would be a good idea to do so. Dr Giese at Bayside Clinic in Fannie Bay was my DAME until my recent move to QLD.

By way of an example, in '75 at the ripe old age of 19 I broke my knee in a motorcycle accident, and foolishly assumed that the injury would preclude me from flying. It wasn't until I was about 25ish that I found out I was wrong.

Bullethead
20th Jul 2007, 13:43
G'day Baritji,
From one who is temporarily laid up with a ripped biceps tendon, I'd suggest completing all your ground school subjects so you're full bottle when you are well enough to fly again.
Even though it's going to take quite a while it also sounds like the prospects of complete recovery are great.
Good luck with the recovery and the flying.
Regards,
BH

Horatio Leafblower
20th Jul 2007, 14:50
Mate

I had full-on cadio-thoracic surgery at 30 and 3 years later CASA have lifted all restrictions from my medical and I am starting a career in RPT (better late than never).

One of my students (now moderator of the North American forum on PPRuNe) topped his screening for RAN flight crew in 1999 and was t-boned from his motorcycle on the last day. He had three or four years recovering in no-man's land but is now a captain on CRJ's in the States.

CASA can be difficult but more usually that is at the flight ops end, where pilots are given a Lawyer's job. At CASA medical you will find a group of dedicated professionals who know their job and know their stuff, and do the right thing 99% of the time.

Go and book a Class 1 medical examination on Monday and you will settle all your doubt once and for all.

...and Reverseflowkeroburner, the Captain Hook you speak of isn't Robert the ex-SAS trooper is it? Often wondered what happened to him..... :}