PDA

View Full Version : Old ATPL(A) theory notes

Back In The Game
19th Jul 2007, 01:05
Hi all,

I need some advice.
I left full time flying back in 2003 due to a change in career. At that time I had completed 5 of the 7 ATPL subjects and only had Nav and Air Law to go.
I didn't bother completing the last 2 subjects as I figured I wouldn't need them...

Stupid me!! :(

As it turns out, the grass isn't greener despite there being more money and I have now began looking to get back into the air. Before doing this I intend to complete all ATPL subjects first.

I purchased my ATPL notes from AFT in late 2001/2 and have been using those to study as I resit (:*) each of the subjects.
I have been cherry picking for the moment - Human Factors and Meteorology and will be doing Performance next.

The question I have is will these notes be sufficient to pass the remainder of the exams? I am concerned that there may have been some significant changes to the syllabus that would not be covered.

I had no problems with Met and HF and a lot of the questions in the exams were still very familiar to those in the study notes.

I figure that the Air Law notes will be out of date, but what about the rest?

Thanks in advance

Politically_Blonde
8th Feb 2010, 13:26
I understand that im bringing back the dead by posting in this thread.

However im interested to know if the notes for AFT's self study course are transferable? i.e are they actual physical textbooks or are they some online course of some kind?

Oh and if we fail an ATPL exam will it be visible on our pre-requisite report (for the eyes of potential airlines)

Cheers

Blonde

Howard Hughes
8th Feb 2010, 20:49
Oh and if we fail an ATPL exam will it be visible on our pre-requisite report (for the eyes of potential airlines)
Yes.......:eek:

training wheels
8th Feb 2010, 21:38

You can see your pre-requisite report from CASA's self-service online portal (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:SSP::pc=PC_91499). My report goes back to PPL exams and all the attempts at each!

However im interested to know if the notes for AFT's self study course are transferable? i.e are they actual physical textbooks or are they some online course of some kind?

The distance learning course consist of physical notes and revision questions after each chapter. I suggest getting the distance learning course notes directly from AFT itself (rather than second hand) because of the email and phone support you'll be getting when you get stuck.

The practice exams are the only online components of the course. There are 4 practice exams for each subject, which you can sit twice (if I remember correctly). They're very similar to the actual CASA exams in terms of depth of knowledge and degree of difficulty, so they're well worth it.

The question I have is will these notes be sufficient to pass the remainder of the exams? I am concerned that there may have been some significant changes to the syllabus that would not be covered.

The best people to ask about this will be AFT themselves. They'll know what changes have been made to the course since you last purchased the notes. I remember one of the practice questions I had for Navigation referred to an NDB station in WA that now no longer exists. And furthermore, some of the airways and waypoints in WA under went some significant changes at the end of 2008 so any Flight Planning practice questions related to those would now be obsolete as those waypoints don't appear on current ERCs.