PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin pills

Re-entry
19th Jul 2007, 00:38
Are vitamin pills worth eating?

Or are they just a means to expensive yellow urine?

I cannot find any proper clinical trials in regards to this.

gingernut
19th Jul 2007, 06:29
Some are, depending on the underlying illness.

Take it from the yellow urine that you've been taking vitamin B, which, in combination with thiamine, can reduce some of the effects of long term alcohol misuse. (Have a look in the Drugs and Therapeutic Bulletin for the latest guidance (I think))

Generally, though, you're probably better off down the greengrocers, than Holland and Barrett.

Mac the Knife
19th Jul 2007, 18:23
Eating a normal balanced diet will give you all the vitamins you'll ever need and more (unless you have some malabsorption or utilisation pathology).

Overall, the human race did pretty well up until 1912 when vitamins were discovered. Humans evolved to extract enough vitamins from their diet without pharmaceutical help (they'd have died out otherwise).

Don't eat yellow snow

:ok:

PS If you're interested in such things, particularly as a function of social history then Daphne Roe's "A Plague of Corn" - http://www.amazon.com/Plague-Corn-Social-History-Pellagra/dp/0801407737 - is a fascinating read.

A2QFI
20th Jul 2007, 14:20
As an older citizen, who lives by himself and can't cook much, I take vitamins and health supplements to try and make up for what I am not getting in my diet and to keep my health good(ish) as it would be inconvenient to be ill and alone.
I take - multi vits, cod liver oil, garlic, lycopene, Saw Palmetto, Ginko Biloba, low dose aspirin and Glocosamine/Chondroitin for joint care. They may or may not work but I am still mobile and don't see my GP from one year's end to the next! Cholesterol 4.6 and BP 120/80. Getting stressed about my PSA count at the moment but that isn't a vitamin problem!

gingernut
20th Jul 2007, 15:02
Sounds like a good formula you've got there A2QFI. Like the bit about avoiding doctors :)

The trouble with us professional types, is that we do have a tendency to bloody medicalise everything- sort of takes the fun out of it sometimes, and tends to limit the imagination sometimes.

What's with the PSA?

A2QFI
20th Jul 2007, 16:52
Gingernut - SFAIK PSA stands for Protate Specific Antigen. Its level can be checked in a blood sample and anything more than 10 units can indicate a prostate cancer but it is only an idication that there may be problems rather the certainty that there are. My GP reckons it is a total waste of time and effort but, over last weekend, I met up with a former colleague who received urgent treatment for the cancer which was only detected by the blood test as he had none of the classic protstate cancer symptoms but just happened to have a blood sample in for general analysis. In Germany I understand that men over about 55 get the test every 2 years. It is a big killer of men but doesn't get much publicity or research funding.

gingernut
21st Jul 2007, 08:11
The PSA test isn't a total waste of time, it's just not a good screening tool. Trouble with these bloomin medical tests, is that they don't always give you an absolute answer.

The PSA level can, (and frequently is), raised in men without prostate cancer., so we have to be little careful who we send for the test.

Although in principle, I tend to agree with your stance on doctor avoidance, if you do have any urinary symptoms, it's probably worth having a chat with your GP. He may be able to keep you away from the surgeon:)

A2QFI
21st Jul 2007, 10:13
Gingernut - thanks for your input. I am thinking of insisting on a blood test, to include PSA and cholesterol as a minimum, and going for the rubber glove check of the 'backdoor'! In the meantime, I may ask my GP what he thinks is a good test for this cancer, if it his opinion that the PSA test is not useful. I am in generally good health but in my late 60s I am trying to be forewarned of problems rathr than being overtaken by them!

Whirlybird
21st Jul 2007, 17:25
On the subject of vitamin pills, many years ago I just wasn't feeling that well. Nothing really wrong, just fatigue, odd little skin complaints, lots of colds, that sort of thing. I did a huge amount of reading on vitamins and supplements, and on the basis that maybe my diet wasn't that perfect, worked out what I thought might help. Since then I've taken pretty much the same things, basically multivitamins and a few other things I thought I might need. Don't know if they do anything, and maybe it's a placebo effect, or maybe something else, but I seem to have been super-healthy ever since - loads of energy, rarely catch anything, and haven't seen a doctor except for aviation medicals for years and years. So I'll keep taking the tablets, no matter what anyone says. :ok:

Willows
25th Jul 2007, 15:13
I usually start the day with centrum multi-vitamin, omega 3 fish oil for joints, iron supplement and the odd zinc + vitamin c chewable tablet. After a good breakfast of course.

Best way for vitamins is eating plenty of fruit and veg. Smoothies are a great way of getting "proper" vitamins and soups are good for getting your veggies.
Not the best at eating a balanced diet.